NYC area T2 to Fordham? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
afterglow99

New

NYC area T2 to Fordham?

Post by afterglow99 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:42 pm

What gpa would it take and is it worth it? I want NYC big law, and I have a 3.67 on a B curve (no class rank). I'm worried that if I stay it would take top 5% to get big law and I'm fairly sure my gpa puts me outside of that.

patrickd139

Gold

Re: NYC area T2 to Fordham?

Post by patrickd139 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:27 pm

afterglow99 wrote:What gpa would it take and is it worth it? I want NYC big law, and I have a 3.67 on a B curve (no class rank). I'm worried that if I stay it would take top 5% to get big law and I'm fairly sure my gpa puts me outside of that.
I doubt many people on this forum are going to advocate transferring to Fordham for a shot at biglaw, but I really don't know (and wanted to get IBOS).

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:15 pm

I was traveling this weekend, so I didn't see this. On a true B curve, a 3.67 is a phenomenal GPA. Seriously, congrats! Fordham curves somewhere in the 3.16-3.19 range (changes each year), and a GPA like that is about top 6%. Now, here is what you need to consider. Schools cannot admit too many students from each "feeder" transfer school, so I have noticed that it is easier to get into higher ranked schools outside your immediate geographic area. I do think your grades are high enough for a good shot at Fordham, and I think you should apply here, and also to NYU and CLS, because you really never know, and you want to maximize your chances. I would also think of putting in for other T30 and T20 schools. Are you interested in BU or BC? These schools are not better for NYC biglaw than Fordham is, but they will give you a better shot at biglaw than your current school. You may also want to look at other schools ranked between Fordham and NYU, though it is perfectly understandable if, due to personal concerns, you cannot leave NYC. I think you do stand a good shot of getting into Fordham, though I should caution you that my classmates are worried about biglaw chances ITE. We have a bigger cushion, but we don't have anything close to a guarantee. I love my school, and have been very happy here, but at this point, I'm not certain what the biglaw cutoff is going to be for our class. I want you to be as happy with your choice as I have been.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:23 pm

afterglow99 wrote:What gpa would it take and is it worth it? I want NYC big law, and I have a 3.67 on a B curve (no class rank). I'm worried that if I stay it would take top 5% to get big law and I'm fairly sure my gpa puts me outside of that.
Depending on the distribution, 3.67 could be a very high class rank. CLS curves to a 3.2-3.3 median, yet 3.4 is top 30% and 3.8 is top 3%. Assuming a similar skew you are easily top 10%.

That said, I'm not sure how good your chances at biglaw are going to be at Fordham, especially since you'll be judged at OCI largely according to your old grades anyways. I guess if you're paying full tuition right now there's no harm, but I would be careful if you're sitting on a scholarship.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 pm

OP- your school is known to send quite a few into biglaw. You might just go t14 or bust, in all honesty. Plus, your tution is probably half of what you'd pay at Fordham.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

New

Post by avatard » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:08 pm

Do Fordham/NYU/CLS offer any scholarship money to transfers? Anyone know?

I'd be coming out of Brooklyn Law School, because my undergraduate freshman year has been gutting my apps. All the softs don't mean a damn thing. I'm so ready to do everything in my power to slaughter the 1L material.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:36 pm

avatard wrote:Do Fordham/NYU/CLS offer any scholarship money to transfers? Anyone know?

I'd be coming out of Brooklyn Law School, because my undergraduate freshman year has been gutting my apps. All the softs don't mean a damn thing. I'm so ready to do everything in my power to slaughter the 1L material.
#1 no.

#2 good luck. What could go wrong?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:26 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I was traveling this weekend, so I didn't see this. On a true B curve, a 3.67 is a phenomenal GPA. Seriously, congrats! Fordham curves somewhere in the 3.16-3.19 range (changes each year), and a GPA like that is about top 6%.
imchuckbass58 wrote:Depending on the distribution, 3.67 could be a very high class rank. CLS curves to a 3.2-3.3 median, yet 3.4 is top 30% and 3.8 is top 3%. Assuming a similar skew you are easily top 10%.
The underlined is the key. It's really impossible to make judgments of what class rank a 3.67 is without knowing that the A range on the curve is because even a B curve (3.0 median) a 3.67 could easily be outside the top 10%. E.g. my t3 last year was on a B- curve (2.67 median), yet my 3.84 was right around top 5-6% (we got exact X/total students class ranks). A 3.67 would have been outside the top 10%. However, the A range on our curve was 25% As for 1L and there was no required A/A- split so most profs would usually cut it 50/50, and 12.5% true As (i.e. not A-s) is actually a higher A range then the targeted median true A range at my current school (which is on a B+ curve).

So as far as transferring it is impossible to gauge odds without knowing class rank, and estimating class rank is impossible just based on the median. OP, maybe your school has charts GPA/Class rank correlation charts somewhere that you could take a look at just to give you a better idea based on historical trends?

afterglow99

New

Post by afterglow99 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:41 pm

A'nold wrote:OP- your school is known to send quite a few into biglaw. You might just go t14 or bust, in all honesty. Plus, your tution is probably half of what you'd pay at Fordham.
True, we had been sending about the same amount into biglaw as dozo/bls/st johns during the boom years, but the big difference is that many of these offers are in Newark, not NYC. Still great paying jobs, but you have to work in...Newark.

I tried inquiring with the administration about the rough distribution of grades along the curve and was basically berated for even asking. They keep this information on lock down, there's really no way of knowing.

Opera - good points about schools limiting the numbers coming in from feeders. My school actually has very few people transferring out every year, probably because the low tuition discourages people from leaving. Fordham was always my number 1 target when originally applying and I want to stay in NYC. One of my best friends is a 1LE now too and he has nothing but good things to say about the school. I'm throwing out apps to Columbia and NYU, but unless my grades increase this semester, the odds don't look good. If I were to leave, Fordham seems like the most realistic option that would justify a transfer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:47 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I was traveling this weekend, so I didn't see this. On a true B curve, a 3.67 is a phenomenal GPA. Seriously, congrats! Fordham curves somewhere in the 3.16-3.19 range (changes each year), and a GPA like that is about top 6%.
imchuckbass58 wrote:Depending on the distribution, 3.67 could be a very high class rank. CLS curves to a 3.2-3.3 median, yet 3.4 is top 30% and 3.8 is top 3%. Assuming a similar skew you are easily top 10%.
The underlined is the key. It's really impossible to make judgments of what class rank a 3.67 is without knowing that the A range on the curve is because even a B curve (3.0 median) a 3.67 could easily be outside the top 10%. E.g. my t3 last year was on a B- curve (2.67 median), yet my 3.84 was right around top 5-6% (we got exact X/total students class ranks). A 3.67 would have been outside the top 10%. However, the A range on our curve was 25% As for 1L and there was no required A/A- split so most profs would usually cut it 50/50, and 12.5% true As (i.e. not A-s) is actually a higher A range then the targeted median true A range at my current school (which is on a B+ curve).

So as far as transferring it is impossible to gauge odds without knowing class rank, and estimating class rank is impossible just based on the median. OP, maybe your school has charts GPA/Class rank correlation charts somewhere that you could take a look at just to give you a better idea based on historical trends?
This is quite interesting, and I stand corrected. I assumed most schools had similar distributions, but it appears we have a tight curve.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:50 pm

afterglow99 wrote:
A'nold wrote:OP- your school is known to send quite a few into biglaw. You might just go t14 or bust, in all honesty. Plus, your tution is probably half of what you'd pay at Fordham.
True, we had been sending about the same amount into biglaw as dozo/bls/st johns during the boom years, but the big difference is that many of these offers are in Newark, not NYC. Still great paying jobs, but you have to work in...Newark.

I tried inquiring with the administration about the rough distribution of grades along the curve and was basically berated for even asking. They keep this information on lock down, there's really no way of knowing.

Opera - good points about schools limiting the numbers coming in from feeders. My school actually has very few people transferring out every year, probably because the low tuition discourages people from leaving. Fordham was always my number 1 target when originally applying and I want to stay in NYC. One of my best friends is a 1LE now too and he has nothing but good things to say about the school. I'm throwing out apps to Columbia and NYU, but unless my grades increase this semester, the odds don't look good. If I were to leave, Fordham seems like the most realistic option that would justify a transfer.
Definitely apply. Fordham has been a wonderful experience, but even if you decide to stay, you may be able to leverage an acceptance for scholarship money. Can you talk to 2Ls and 2Ls for insight into your curve? This was helpful for me. I think you would like Fordham, but of course you will have some great options with your current GPA. It's quite respectable even if your school is like spyke's former school.

afterglow99

New

Post by afterglow99 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:54 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:

Hmm, I'd be shocked if our curve was that wide. The only data I have is a breakdown from ONE of my first semester classes. I've been told it is fairly typical -

A 105-1/2-105 points-------2
A- 94-90-1/2 points---------5
B+ 85-1/2-79-1/2 points-----8
B 75-1/2-56-1/2 points----39
B- 51-47 points-------------9
C+ 44-1/2-43-1/2 points-----2
C 39 points----------------1
C- 36-32-1/2 points---------3
D 28-1/2 points------------1

None of this, however, really matters unless the schools you transfer to know what your curve looks like.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:48 am

afterglow99 wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:

Hmm, I'd be shocked if our curve was that wide. The only data I have is a breakdown from ONE of my first semester classes. I've been told it is fairly typical -

A 105-1/2-105 points-------2
A- 94-90-1/2 points---------5
B+ 85-1/2-79-1/2 points-----8
B 75-1/2-56-1/2 points----39
B- 51-47 points-------------9
C+ 44-1/2-43-1/2 points-----2
C 39 points----------------1
C- 36-32-1/2 points---------3
D 28-1/2 points------------1

None of this, however, really matters unless the schools you transfer to know what your curve looks like.
Wow, that’s a brutal curve if that’s typical for all your classes. Roughly 10% As total, and 2% true As. If that’s actually what your curve looks like for all classes then you kicked some ass if you got a 3.67. I mean statistically the worst you could have done is top 10% but realistically you did a LOT better then top 10% (assuming that’s a typical curve).

What sucks about your school not giving you things like the distribution and the historical trends is that you can’t really be sure of much of anything, and I’d bet that Fordham and other schools that get a number of applicants from your t2 have a pretty good idea of roughly where you fall (unfortunately, probably a better idea then what you have).

Anyway, assuming you can keep your grades up after this semester, you should definitely apply to at least apply to Fordham, NYU, and CLS (even if you choose not to go an admission will probably help with negotiating scholarships).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Re: NYC area T2 to paradise?

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:09 am

I'm guessing OS has the power to find/replace Fordham with paradise?

Edit: :lol: forgot it was April Fools' Day.

qaz57wsx

New

Post by qaz57wsx » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:42 pm

I spoke with Admissions at Fordham a few weeks ago, they told me that they will NOT allow transfers to participate in the early OCI program (this is the program that all the Big Law firms recruit from). This was also confirmed via email from a Fordham admissions officer.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:54 pm

qaz57wsx wrote:I spoke with Admissions at Fordham a few weeks ago, they told me that they will NOT allow transfers to participate in the early OCI program (this is the program that all the Big Law firms recruit from). This was also confirmed via email from a Fordham admissions officer.
And just like that, I have one fewer school to apply to.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:07 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
qaz57wsx wrote:I spoke with Admissions at Fordham a few weeks ago, they told me that they will NOT allow transfers to participate in the early OCI program (this is the program that all the Big Law firms recruit from). This was also confirmed via email from a Fordham admissions officer.
And just like that, I have one fewer school to apply to.
:shock: talk about protectionism

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:18 pm

This makes me wonder why anyone in their right mind would transfer into Fordham. 2L OCI is typically the reason to transfer and if you can't participate in that you can pretty much assume you aren't getting biglaw as a transfer.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:25 pm

I can get this checked out. I've certainly never heard it. If true, it harms the school, because transfer students still count when employment and salary numbers are tallied. I'm going to ask Dean Brown about it myself. How would such a policy benefit Fordham?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:40 pm

OperaSoprano wrote: I can get this checked out. I've certainly never heard it. If true, it harms the school, because transfer students still count when employment and salary numbers are tallied. I'm going to ask Dean Brown about it myself. How would such a policy benefit Fordham?
I'm pretty sure they won't do something like this at Columbia, but supposedly there was prettty strong discontent among the 2Ls this year to the effect that transfers (especially from other T1 schools) were "taking their jobs" or at least displacing some people lower down the ladder than they would have been otherwise (since transfers all have stellar grades). Pretty big issue since transfers expand CLS' class size by about 10%.

I don't necessarily agree with that senitment, but I think the idea is if a school gets a reputation for letting in a crapload of transfers who take jobs from the original students, it will make the school less attractive to prospective 1Ls (kind of the way GULC gets a bad rap for letting in over a hundred transfers and "diluting" the class).

Again, I'd probably disagree, but I think that's the idea.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:15 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote: I can get this checked out. I've certainly never heard it. If true, it harms the school, because transfer students still count when employment and salary numbers are tallied. I'm going to ask Dean Brown about it myself. How would such a policy benefit Fordham?
I'm pretty sure they won't do something like this at Columbia, but supposedly there was prettty strong discontent among the 2Ls this year to the effect that transfers (especially from other T1 schools) were "taking their jobs" or at least displacing some people lower down the ladder than they would have been otherwise (since transfers all have stellar grades). Pretty big issue since transfers expand CLS' class size by about 10%.

I don't necessarily agree with that senitment, but I think the idea is if a school gets a reputation for letting in a crapload of transfers who take jobs from the original students, it will make the school less attractive to prospective 1Ls (kind of the way GULC gets a bad rap for letting in over a hundred transfers and "diluting" the class).

Again, I'd probably disagree, but I think that's the idea.
I'd follow your logic if we had a bigger transfer class, but Fordham only nets around an additional 15 people to add to a class of 470-480. That's 30 in and 15 out. I know your transfer class is usually 40 or 50. I'm sure a few people leave for Yale, but I'd be shocked if CLS has a ton of exodus. My understanding is that in normal times, there were more than enough big firm jobs to go around, and I hear that some transfers (those from lower ranked schools) struck out. Was there really trouble between the transfers and the natives? Our own class of 2011 had it rough. Your classmates (those I have met) are lovely people, and I hope for all our sakes that this year heralds the turnaround.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:52 pm

OperaSoprano wrote: I'd follow your logic if we had a bigger transfer class, but Fordham only nets around an additional 15 people to add to a class of 470-480. That's 30 in and 15 out. I know your transfer class is usually 40 or 50. I'm sure a few people leave for Yale, but I'd be shocked if CLS has a ton of exodus. My understanding is that in normal times, there were more than enough big firm jobs to go around, and I hear that some transfers (those from lower ranked schools) struck out. Was there really trouble between the transfers and the natives? Our own class of 2011 had it rough. Your classmates (those I have met) are lovely people, and I hope for all our sakes that this year heralds the turnaround.
I don't think there was "trouble" per se, but some people felt a certain degree of resentment, to the point where it was supposedly brought up in town halls.

I was not paying attention, so I don't really know how the transfers did as a whole. I know two transfers who did very, very well, but they came from UVA and Chicago, so they're not really representative.

I think it's a little silly, but tough times sometimes can bring out less flattering sides for certain people. Hopefully this isn't an issue going forward.

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:00 am

Well that's interesting to know, and certainly puts a crimp in my plans. Do you happen to know if they allow law review write-on at least?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”