Housing and Transferring Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
samiseaborn

Bronze

Housing and Transferring

Post by samiseaborn » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:00 pm

I'm really not counting on being able to transfer, but the possibility is still there, and the needing to commit to another lease is coming up quickly. How do people usually deal with this since you don't find out about transferring for certain until July and presumably would have to already have signed a new year lease by then? Did you all break a lease (and how much does that approximately cost?) or just bank on transferring and not commit to a new apartment in your 1L city? I'm just trying to get an idea of how much this whole process might cost and if I should start living on ramen from now.

kings84_wr

Silver

Re: Housing and Transferring

Post by kings84_wr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:11 pm

samiseaborn wrote:I'm really not counting on being able to transfer, but the possibility is still there, and the needing to commit to another lease is coming up quickly. How do people usually deal with this since you don't find out about transferring for certain until July and presumably would have to already have signed a new year lease by then? Did you all break a lease (and how much does that approximately cost?) or just bank on transferring and not commit to a new apartment in your 1L city? I'm just trying to get an idea of how much this whole process might cost and if I should start living on ramen from now.
Luckily for me Bloomington Housing isn't too difficult to find, so Im decided not to renew my Lease, (the deadline was last week), and if I end up back here just finding a new place. I could see how it would be pretty difficult in bigger cities though for sure.

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:48 pm

I summered outside the state where my 1L law school was, so I just didn't renew my lease and moved my stuff into storage for the summer.

I figured if I wasn't able to transfer, I would just crash on a friend's couch for a couple of weeks at the end of summer until I found a new place.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:09 am

I thought ahead and signed a one-year lease that expires at the end of June. Ohhhhhhh!

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:33 pm

Crap, bad long-term planning on my part then I guess. Thanks for the responses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Carnertine

Bronze

Post by Carnertine » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:49 pm

Before I transferred, I talked with my current LL/Housing Apt and explained the situation. The lease provided a 30 day notice of non-renewal. I had already had one acceptance at that point but was not sure if I was going to take it. I opted out of my lease. Chances are you can probably get another unit in the complex if you end up staying, so it would involve minimal movement.

laxgirl37

New

Post by laxgirl37 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:16 am

What about asking for a "relocation" clause in the lease? If you have to relocate for school then you have to give them 1 month notice. I've similar clauses in leases- only they are typically work related, not schoool. worth a shot!

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:14 am

I know that my complex will let you renew by the month, but at a higher price. You can probably talk to the property manager at yours and ask if they'd be okay with something like that. I got around the issue by being lazy: I signed my one-year lease a week before classes began.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”