b Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
susiecusieq

New

b

Post by susiecusieq » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:58 pm

b
Last edited by susiecusieq on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteelReserve

Bronze

Re: 1L at Georgetown considering transferring

Post by SteelReserve » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

If you want to, and can transfer, I would definitely do it. If I had the opportunity, I would much rather have a Columbia degree or higher than a Georgetown degree.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:07 am

do it. especially since you arent getting any scholly $$, although does gtown offer any $$ to 1 L (are you a 1L?) students who are doing well but not receiving any money currently - in order to keep them from leaving?

That also might be something worth looking into

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:51 am

She (?) is getting scholarship $. I would think that if you repeat this performance next semester you are good to go for HYS, but that is pure speculation.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:56 am

transfer it's worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:01 am

As a Gtown student myself, I say you have nothing to lose by applying to HYSColumbia. I think those are the only degrees worth passing up your (present) ranking at Gtown for. If you maintain those grades, or something close to it second semester, you will crush it at Gtown EIW in the fall and be able to get just as good of a job as kids at schools ranked 5-13. The top of the class at Gtown does just as well as good students at those schools. Kids at Gtown in the 15-30% window can still get good jobs, it likely just won't be at the very top firms (like V15). Kids below the 30% mark will have more difficulty, and at that point factors other than pure grades will come into play. I know kids this year who were not in the top 1/3 who got great jobs, and those just above top 1/3 who got shut out. It's just more of a crapshoot.

my advice would be to plan to apply to transfer, get your recommenders lined up this semester, see how you did on your grades, and then decide whether to apply to transfer. If you're top 10% at Gtown, I think it's a very hard decision, since I think you can get a job at most any firm with those grades. However, I think a HYSColumbia degree gives you greater options down the road. I'd probably take top 10% at Gtown over somewhere in the middle of the pack at Columbia as a transfer though.

susiecusieq

New

b

Post by susiecusieq » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:14 am

b
Last edited by susiecusieq on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:33 am

Nothing to lose by applying. You can decide whether to transfer after you find out if anyone actually accepts you.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:11 pm

Would only transfer to HYS in your situation. Maybe MAYBE CC, if you're considering clerkships, but that is a tough sell, because of the journal issue.

Congratulations on doing well. There's nothing wrong with wanting to get out of DC and the GULC diploma-mill environment (not a slam, but no one can question the assertion that GULC's massive, massive size isn't a detriment in a lot of ways).

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:34 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Would only transfer to HYS in your situation. Maybe MAYBE CC, if you're considering clerkships, but that is a tough sell, because of the journal issue.

Congratulations on doing well. There's nothing wrong with wanting to get out of DC and the GULC diploma-mill environment (not a slam, but no one can question the assertion that GULC's massive, massive size isn't a detriment in a lot of ways).
It's not a detriment if you are at the top of the class, and in fact can be a benefit - Gtown has the largest early interview week in the country, so if you are at the top of the class and you do your bids right, you essentially have access to all the top firms in the biggest legal cities, if you want that, and many many other excellent/great/good firms from all over the country.

I agree that the class size can be a large detriment to those in the large quagmire of the middle of the class. Being at the 40% mark at Gtown is very murky.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”