Transfer -- University of Miami ----> University of Florida Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
umtouf

New

Transfer -- University of Miami ----> University of Florida

Post by umtouf » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:47 pm

I am a 1L at the University of Miami and would like to transfer to the University of Florida.

Anyone have any credible information on this topic? I can't find any information on Yahoo groups.

I am at the top 17% of my class of (500-something) students. Btw, I will be glad to answer any questions about the UM School of Law.

eberl032

Bronze

Re: Transfer -- University of Miami ----> University of Florida

Post by eberl032 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:49 pm

I know nothing about transfering, but I'd say you should contact UF directly to learn about the process.

Why the transfer? Opinions of U Miami?

Did you get a feel for UM's reputation in the Miami area?

umtouf

New

Post by umtouf » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:54 pm

eberl032 wrote:I know nothing about transfering, but I'd say you should contact UF directly to learn about the process.

Why the transfer? Opinions of U Miami?

Did you get a feel for UM's reputation in the Miami area?
Well, lets put it this way: If you want to practice ANYWHERE in FL (including Miami), UF is your best option by a longshot (and then some).

umtouf

New

Post by umtouf » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:35 pm

anyone?

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:48 pm

It's going to take more than 1 hour for people knowledgeable about this to reply.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:53 pm

to be honest with you...its a total craps shoot...Florida took 29 transfers last year, but the year before they took NONE...so thats a huge factor...the one thing you have working against you is class size, UM has a TON of students looking to transfer this year which puts alot of students in front of you this year (top 17% should have you 85th or so in your class with 550 1L's at UM)...i am trying to transfer to UF from FIU..i'm top 2% if not higher and its gonna be a struggle...consider FSU too

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:58 am

I don't know your situation but I do know a 2L that is in the top 5% at UF and didn't get anything this summer. Definitely give some thought about being top 17% at a decent school that is respected (from what I hear) in FL.

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:00 am

A'nold wrote:I don't know your situation but I do know a 2L that is in the top 5% at UF and didn't get anything this summer. Definitely give some thought about being top 17% at a decent school that is respected (from what I hear) in FL.
Am I the only one confused by this post?

flawyer

New

Post by flawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:08 am

thedogship wrote:
A'nold wrote:I don't know your situation but I do know a 2L that is in the top 5% at UF and didn't get anything this summer. Definitely give some thought about being top 17% at a decent school that is respected (from what I hear) in FL.

He/She is saying that going to UF doesn't promise you much... I believe he/she is alluding to the fact that if he can stay in top 20% @ UM that may be better than going to UF and possibly dropping lower than the top 20% @ UF.

That's what I understood from it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:09 am

thedogship wrote:
UM, OP's school, is a decent t2 school that places well in its home market and throughout FL (albeit likely a little worse than UF and FSU). Being top 17% at UM might put OP (depending on his/her financial situation and location preferences) in a better position than a transfer student w/ no grades at UF and likely a future lower ranking than his/her current top 17% standing at UM. Because of my friendship w/ a UF 2L that is extremely stand up, clean, friendly, personable, and at the top of his class w/ law review, who, as I stated, did not land a 2L paying OCI gig, UF might not be OP's best choice.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:10 am

flawyer wrote:
thedogship wrote:

He/She is saying that going to UF doesn't promise you much... I believe he/she is alluding to the fact that if he can stay in top 20% @ UM that may be better than going to UF and possibly dropping lower than the top 20% @ UF.

That's what I understood from it.
Nice, I didn't even have to post! :)

flawyer

New

Post by flawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:12 am

From what I hear the top 10% @ both UF and UM are not faring too well. Can anybody speak about this? I guess I was wrong to assume that the top 10% at UF would be safe in FL.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:24 am

flawyer wrote:From what I hear the top 10% @ both UF and UM are not faring too well. Can anybody speak about this? I guess I was wrong to assume that the top 10% at UF would be safe in FL.
I actually assumed top 1/3 would do great in FL, but my friend tells me otherwise. If top 5% and LR is not enough...... :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:30 am

from what i've gathered talking to friends at UF, FSU and UM, the people who are doing their own leg work and not just sitting around waiting for offers have done ok

xferAlt

New

Post by xferAlt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:43 am

flhealth wrote:[strike]from what i've gathered talking to friends at UF, FSU and UM,[/strike] the people who are doing their own leg work and not just sitting around waiting for offers have done ok
Fxd to make it generally applicable for non T14 schools.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:03 am

flhealth wrote:from what i've gathered talking to friends at UF, FSU and UM, the people who are doing their own leg work and not just sitting around waiting for offers have done ok
Top 2% from almost any school seems worth it to stay if you are trying to get into UF or FSU. However, I do not know your plans and it seems like you want to stay in FL. You would think that a school HAS to place one of their very top students or the entire school will implode.....at least, that was more my line of thinking until I experienced my school's career services......

I'm sure you're a lock at WUSTL/Emory with those grades.

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:17 am

Why do you want to give up top 17% at Miami to go to UF? Financial reasons?

I am considering UM and have not yet heard from UF. I think I personally prefer UM to UF, but apparently you strongly disagree. If you could elaborate more on why you are considering transferring it would be appreciated.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

eberl032

Bronze

Post by eberl032 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:53 am

whuts4lunch wrote:Why do you want to give up top 17% at Miami to go to UF? Financial reasons?

I am considering UM and have not yet heard from UF. I think I personally prefer UM to UF, but apparently you strongly disagree. If you could elaborate more on why you are considering transferring it would be appreciated.
I also am curious about this. Wouldn't UM do better in the miami market since its has close and easy connections?

Plus I scanned trough the lawyers listed on most NLJ 250's that have offices in Miami. They are filled with many more UM grads than UF or FSU.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:00 am

A'nold wrote:
flawyer wrote:From what I hear the top 10% @ both UF and UM are not faring too well. Can anybody speak about this? I guess I was wrong to assume that the top 10% at UF would be safe in FL.
I actually assumed top 1/3 would do great in FL, but my friend tells me otherwise. If top 5% and LR is not enough...... :shock:
I was talking to my friend last night whose bf is top five STUDENTS, not percent, at UF with law review and struck out at OCI.

UF is not faring well at all apparently. :|

LegalGENius

New

Post by LegalGENius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:14 pm

eberl032 wrote:
whuts4lunch wrote:Why do you want to give up top 17% at Miami to go to UF? Financial reasons?

I also am curious about this. Wouldn't UM do better in the miami market since its has close and easy connections?

Plus I scanned trough the lawyers listed on most NLJ 250's that have offices in Miami. They are filled with many more UM grads than UF or FSU.

Why do you want to leave top 17% UM to [potentially] be "second banana" at UF ?? If it's financial then that makes more sense...

PS: Who wants to leave the Gables for Gainesville???

drwho97

New

Post by drwho97 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:13 pm

I have been working in the legal profession for the past 9 years, since I was 15 and now I am 23. I have been very blessed to have met and interact with very well respected individuals. I live and work in Miami, Florida and have applied to most of the Universities in Florida. I have always asked Attorneys, Judicial Assistants, Paralegals, etc if the university I would potentially attend really matters. Most of the time I would get the same answer and that answer is just graduate at the top of your class. I was just told that as long as you do very well in law school the university you attend does not really matter. Most of the very well respected attorneys in South Florida in my legal field are from the University of Miami, so going to UM is not a bad thing at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”