Top 4% at School in 30's . . . Chances in Chicago? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
blackbird24

New

Top 4% at School in 30's . . . Chances in Chicago?

Post by blackbird24 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:36 am

I'm in the Top 4% at a school ranked in the 30's and want to transfer to a school in Chicago. LSAT: 163 and was waitlisted at Northwestern for 1L year. I am certain that I want to live and work in Chi after graduation. Thoughts on my chances at schools in Chicago? Is ED at U of Chicago something I should consider?

Thanks!

kings84_wr

Silver

Re: Top 4% at School in 30's . . . Chances in Chicago?

Post by kings84_wr » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:46 am

Interesting this pretty much my numbers. I thought about ED'ing to UChi but I wanted to keep my chances open at HYS if I improved this semester. If you are certain that you want to be in Chicago, and not worry about missing any shot at HYS or other schools, then its probably a good idea for you.

I think You have a good shot at Chicago.

blackbird24

New

Post by blackbird24 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:13 pm

thanks for the advice. any thoughts re: my chances at Northwestern?

How many apps to you plan to submit?

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:15 pm

blackbird24 wrote:thanks for the advice. any thoughts re: my chances at Northwestern?

How many apps to you plan to submit?
Generally, your chances at Northwestern will be better than Chicago. Despite the whole work experience preference at Northwestern, Chicago is still a more competitive school to get into.

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:57 pm

As I am sure you know and has been stated, Chicago ED is a good decision if you don't mind be bound by it (and don't mind having the extra anxiety that comes along with having to repeat - at least to some degree) your performance 1st semester.) That being said, I wouldn't worry much about getting accepted..top 4% at a T1, you have a pretty good shot at HYS, honestly, so I would say you have a 70% chance of getting into Chicago. I'd be absolutely shocked if you didn't get in to either Chicago or NU, even though transferring is such a black box.

Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:33 pm

blackbird24 wrote:I'm in the Top 4% at a school ranked in the 30's and want to transfer to a school in Chicago. LSAT: 163 and was waitlisted at Northwestern for 1L year. I am certain that I want to live and work in Chi after graduation. Thoughts on my chances at schools in Chicago? Is ED at U of Chicago something I should consider?

Thanks!
If you want to work in Chicago and prefer UC to NU, apply ED. You have a good shot with those figures. If they don't let you in, they will almost surely hold your application for RD. If they do hold your application for RD you can apply to NU as well.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:22 pm

Personally, I wouldn't apply to Chicago ED, because you're too close to having a shot at HYS. That said, you're in almost the EXACT situation I was in (school was ranked 37, I was top 3%, I know I want to work in Chicago, etc). So, it's a hard decision. You have better than a 50% shot at Chicago if you ED there, and EDing there may help with RD if you get dinged on ED.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”