...... Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Re: Class Rank Question: Was I Screwed?

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:03 pm

A'nold wrote:
SamSeaborn2016 wrote:I don't have much to add here as I'm still a 0L but I would like to say congrats to you A'nold. I'm glad to see you doing so well.
Hey! What schools have you been accepted to/where are you considering?
I've had a pretty good cycle. Pending some major surprises from a couple of schools I'll either be going to Lewis & Clark or Oregon. In-state tuition at Oregon is a hell of a deal!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:34 pm

SamSeaborn2016 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
SamSeaborn2016 wrote:I don't have much to add here as I'm still a 0L but I would like to say congrats to you A'nold. I'm glad to see you doing so well.
Hey! What schools have you been accepted to/where are you considering?
I've had a pretty good cycle. Pending some major surprises from a couple of schools I'll either be going to Lewis & Clark or Oregon. In-state tuition at Oregon is a hell of a deal!
Nice. Oregon seems like a really good school, although they rejected me twice!. :) Good luck and keep me posted!

Kings- yeah, it's nice to be able to put something, haha.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:34 am

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:19 am

A'nold wrote:So, I finished #5 out of 1**, yet I am the #1 student in my section. There are only two sections.....does that mean that the other section had a significantly higher GPA? From what I hear, only 2 or 3 at most of the top 10 students are from my section, most likely only 2.

Also, does anyone think being #1 in your section mean more than just being the #5 student if there are only 2 sections? Thanks.
This is a fundamental flaw of ranking systems. Statistically speaking, the rank within your section is all that matters. For interviews and whatnot, say that you're ranked #1 in your section. Don't mention the other rank unless asked. That's not being deceitful or dishonest- you were the best out of the people with whom you were competing for grades.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:11 am

engineer wrote:
A'nold wrote:So, I finished #5 out of 1**, yet I am the #1 student in my section. There are only two sections.....does that mean that the other section had a significantly higher GPA? From what I hear, only 2 or 3 at most of the top 10 students are from my section, most likely only 2.

Also, does anyone think being #1 in your section mean more than just being the #5 student if there are only 2 sections? Thanks.
This is a fundamental flaw of ranking systems. Statistically speaking, the rank within your section is all that matters. For interviews and whatnot, say that you're ranked #1 in your section. Don't mention the other rank unless asked. That's not being deceitful or dishonest- you were the best out of the people with whom you were competing for grades.
That's interesting....would you put that solely on your resume then?

Edit: on that note, does anyone think the fact that I was the 1st in my section will help me with GULC? Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:51 am

A'nold wrote:That's interesting....would you put that solely on your resume then?

Edit: on that note, does anyone think the fact that I was the 1st in my section will help me with GULC? Thanks.
Yes & Yes.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:57 am

engineer wrote:

I wish I knew my section rank. Although I'm pretty sure I know what it is, I obviously can't report that based on my findings discovered through the law school rumor mill haha.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:06 pm

disco_barred wrote:
A'nold wrote:That's interesting....would you put that solely on your resume then?

Yes & Yes.

That's good news but on the other hand I kind of wish I had made a bigger deal about it now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”