Transferring from Duquesne to Loyola Chicago Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nicole5184

New

Transferring from Duquesne to Loyola Chicago

Post by nicole5184 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:49 pm

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to my chances in transferring from a Tier 4 school.

Here’s my situation: I am currently at Duquesne Law (fourth tier) in Pittsburgh, PA. I am a 2E and am ranked 7th in a class of roughly 65. I havent mostly As and B+s. I have a fair amount of work experience, with a few months spent working as a legal secretary in a small law firm. I studied abroad this past summer studying EU/International law. I have strong references from professors. I'm also going to try for some summer interships which I hope will also give me a boost.

My undergrad GPA was 3.6 and I scored 152 on the LSATs. Not impressive, I know. How much weight will schools give to this as opposed to my first and second year grades?

What are my chances at transferring into either the day/evening program at Loyola Law in Chicago? Am I aiming too high? Are there any schools in the Chicago area where I’d have a better chance? Is Kent even an option?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Nicole
Last edited by nicole5184 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thexfactor

Silver

Re: Transferring from Duquesne to Loyola Chicago

Post by thexfactor » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:01 pm

Honestly, in your situation I would probably just stay at Duquesne. My roommate, who is going to work at a biglaw firm in Pittsburgh, told me that Duquesne grads actually do quiet well in Pittsburgh. You are at the top of your class. I don't think it s worth transferring to marginally better schools in a different location.( I dont think you will get into Uchicago or NW) There is a huge gap between NW, Chicago and Loyola.. etc. Maybe you can take a look at Indiana or Wisconsin....

To answer your question... I think your chances of getting into Loyola is pretty good, however, I would not make the transfer.

nicole5184

New

Re: Transferring from Duquesne to Loyola Chicago

Post by nicole5184 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:06 pm

Thank you for your advice.

I know Duquesne grads do well in Pittsburgh, however Pittsburgh seems to be the only place where Duquesne has any clout.

I do NOT want to practice in Pittsburgh, but rather in a larger city.

Will I really be out of luck compared to UChicago/NW grads, if I graduated at the top of my class at Loyola? Do you think a Loyola degree will carry any weight outside of Chicago?

P.S. Is transferring to an evening program more difficult than transferring to the day division?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”