ITT: Suggested Guidelines for 'Transfers' Forum Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
patrickd139

Gold

ITT: Suggested Guidelines for 'Transfers' Forum

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:09 pm

My suggestion: no "What are my chances?" threads unless you have grades, or at the very least, actually attend said school (i.e. "I did well at X law school, what are my chances?" not "I'm a 0L and considering this law school; what are my chances of transferring to Harvard?")

Other suggestions for guidelines are welcome.

Feel free to disregard this thread and proceed to ridiculing me if I'm the only one who feels this way.

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Re: ITT: Suggested Guidelines for 'Transfers' Forum

Post by Joga Bonito » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Agreed, this is not about transfers but also no more "What are my chances?" threads unless you have an lsat score and are at least finishing school the same semester you ask that question. This is the most annoying one to me. People are like, hey so I've been praticing around 145-148 and I know its Jan but if I can pull my score up to a 170 by the feb lsat what are my chances of getting into YHS.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:23 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:Agreed, this is not about transfers but also no more "What are my chances?" threads unless you have an lsat score and are at least finishing school the same semester you ask that question. This is the most annoying one to me. People are like, hey so I've been praticing around 145-148 and I know its Jan but if I can pull my score up to a 170 by the feb lsat what are my chances of getting into YHS.
That is a battle that isn't worth fighting TLS-wide (too many people who don't research/are too lazy to figure out what LSAT they need for admission). Might also be true of the transfers forum, but I hope not.

Personally, I just don't want to have to wade through 100 "What if I do well next year at school X...?" threads to find the useful transfer information.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Totally agree. The well if I do really well at X school can I go to Y school threads are just generally a waste of time.

The "if I get into X school and then do well can I go to Y school threads" are even sillier.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:27 am

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:39 am

Thanks for the suggestion that one should be able to post anonymously. That is an excellent idea that will likely become reality soon as it would allow for a more open discussion regarding transferring, stats, etc.

underwhere759

New

Post by underwhere759 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:47 pm

I totally agree. The ability to anonymously post would be really helpful. People from my school definitely read this forum and it would be nice to be able to ask transfer questions without worrying about the social consequences in real life.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:32 pm

underwhere759

New

Post by underwhere759 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:16 pm

haha so true for the most part. Except.... I havent given away any info about myself for them to know who I am, or made any mention of what school I go to.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ahshav

New

Post by ahshav » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:34 am

Does anyone know if there is any progress re: posting anonymously here? thanks.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:32 am

Some of the transfer threads get bogged down with 0L banter (e.g. a ttransfer OCI thread). Could we have a "0L Post Review Committee" so that thread usefulness is not diminished?

I'm partly kidding, but could mods have the power to bounce or ban someone from the transfer forum (just that one forum, specifically)? I have no idea how the mod rules work, so hopefully my request wasn't stupid. :?

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:34 am

I think this forum is analogous to 'Legal Employment' because both forums involve information from which someone can be easily identified. Posts in either forum require a lot of detailed information in order for others to provide useful feedback. Moreover, the nature of this information can very, very easily out the OP. It's obvious that these reasons, along with a desire for more honest & accurate information from the OPs, motivated adding functionality for anonymous posting to the Legal Employment board.

In order for someone to have a decent idea of how competitive they are as a transfer, this person needs to post their exact school name, their grade breakdown within the school, their LSAT score, and any soft factors they may have. If I were to do that right now, I would be recognized in a heartbeat (my username doesn't exactly help me, either, since there are maybe five engineers in my 1L class...). I really do not want my account to be associated with my school name, class rank, or anything else, because I really enjoy a certain amount of anonymity on this board, and I feel like I'm able to contribute more when I don't have to constantly check everything I say to make sure it's not something that could get me in trouble.

Probably the best way to implement this would be to have a sticky topic for each transfer cycle. At the end of a cycle, people interested in contributing can anonymously post their GPA/rank, school name, and where they were accepted/rejected. Restricting the topic to ONLY this information would be the most important part; I don't think anyone on here particularly cares about any comments regarding someone's cycle. We just want the numbers without having to use Transfer Apps. That would eliminate the need to sign up for the transfer apps group on yahoo, and would probably encourage more honesty.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”