Transfer from Cooley to T1? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
awr20562009

New

Transfer from Cooley to T1?

Post by awr20562009 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:08 am

Hi there I am a 2nd semester 1L at Cooley Law (don't laugh). I just got my grades back from last semester and I have a 4.0. I also got best essay in two (property and torts) of the four classes, and so far I have booked Torts. I may have booked criminal law [got 20 points above A curve] and contracts [19.5 points above A curve] as well, but I don't know yet. I currently have a 85% scholarship, however for obvious reasons I am thinking about transferring. I really don't know where I would like to work once I graduate I am open to anywhere, however I would love to work in Chicago or Austin. What would be my chances of transferring to a T1 school?

thelawguy777

New

Re: Transfer from Cooley to T1?

Post by thelawguy777 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:25 am

I think the 4.0 is pretty hard to argue with. I would get a couple of smokin letters of rec, and then apply all over the place! No holds barred. I think the top half of the top 14 is out, but I think you at least have "a shot" at anything below that.

I would especially take a look at all of the t-1 schools in the Chicago area...

I might be an optimist, but I would go for it!

HereNotThere

New

Post by HereNotThere » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:03 pm

Congrats on the term! I have successfully transferred from Cooley; however, I won't lie, it was because of connections and networking. Cooley is very well known for not failing their students, but NOT giving A's in hopes of keeping students from leaving. Who did you have for Property?

I would suggest doing all you can to "get in the door". Believe me, if you have the personality to match the grades, and that's actually fairly uncommon for most 4.0 students then networking into schools, and more importantly jobs, is a main ingredient.

Best of luck leaving the beautiful weather!

Aloha4

New

Post by Aloha4 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:39 pm

How does one network to other schools and establish relationships and such?

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:41 pm

Aloha4 wrote:How does one network to other schools and establish relationships and such?
Don't tell anyone, but the password is "Fidelio".

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:04 pm

HereNotThere wrote:Congrats on the term! I have successfully transferred from Cooley; however, I won't lie, it was because of connections and networking. Cooley is very well known for not failing their students, but NOT giving A's in hopes of keeping students from leaving. Who did you have for Property?

I would suggest doing all you can to "get in the door". Believe me, if you have the personality to match the grades, and that's actually fairly uncommon for most 4.0 students then networking into schools, and more importantly jobs, is a main ingredient.
Does anyone know what the fuck this guy is talking about?
holydonkey wrote:
Aloha4 wrote:How does one network to other schools and establish relationships and such?
Don't tell anyone, but the password is "Fidelio".
Did you mean Fellatio?

HereNotThere

New

Post by HereNotThere » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:39 pm

You all represent the exact sort of joke that continually comments on forums such as this one where others actually come to gain valuable information. Yes, NETWORKING. Know your deans. Perhaps one of your deans is a graduate of the school you are interested in. Contact teachers, alumni, or deans at the schools you are interested in. MARKET yourself. You know you are a valuable asset but you must convince the school you want to transfer to that you will bring value. In today's world those who rely solely on applications, resumes, and interviews will be the ones NOT giving themselves the best opportunity for success.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:17 pm

HereNotThere wrote:You all represent the exact sort of joke that continually comments on forums such as this one where others actually come to gain valuable information. Yes, NETWORKING. Know your deans. Perhaps one of your deans is a graduate of the school you are interested in. Contact teachers, alumni, or deans at the schools you are interested in. MARKET yourself. You know you are a valuable asset but you must convince the school you want to transfer to that you will bring value. In today's world those who rely solely on applications, resumes, and interviews will be the ones NOT giving themselves the best opportunity for success.
Cooley admissions office flame?

Aloha4

New

Post by Aloha4 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:25 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
HereNotThere wrote:You all represent the exact sort of joke that continually comments on forums such as this one where others actually come to gain valuable information. Yes, NETWORKING. Know your deans. Perhaps one of your deans is a graduate of the school you are interested in. Contact teachers, alumni, or deans at the schools you are interested in. MARKET yourself. You know you are a valuable asset but you must convince the school you want to transfer to that you will bring value. In today's world those who rely solely on applications, resumes, and interviews will be the ones NOT giving themselves the best opportunity for success.

25 year old Virgin that still jerks off to William Shatner playing Captain Kirk flame??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HereNotThere

New

Post by HereNotThere » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:43 pm

Really? I talked my way from Cooley into a top 50 school with a B average all because I made them feel as though they had to have me. It works well in other areas of life as well, but I'll leave the "virgin" jokes to the guys using helpful forums as sad venues for comic relief.

Aloha4

New

Post by Aloha4 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:47 pm

HereNotThere wrote:Really? I talked my way from Cooley into a top 50 school with a B average all because I made them feel as though they had to have me. It works well in other areas of life as well, but I'll leave the "virgin" jokes to the guys using helpful forums as sad venues for comic relief.

lol dude I was on your side. That joke was meant for the other guy.

Tree

New

Post by Tree » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Aloha4 wrote:
HereNotThere wrote:Really? I talked my way from Cooley into a top 50 school with a B average all because I made them feel as though they had to have me. It works well in other areas of life as well, but I'll leave the "virgin" jokes to the guys using helpful forums as sad venues for comic relief.

lol dude I was on your side. That joke was meant for the other guy.

Reconciliation flame?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:40 am

Aloha4 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

25 year old Virgin that still jerks off to William Shatner playing Captain Kirk flame??
Someone needs a hug.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:06 am

Teachers and alumni don't even have any say as to whether you are admitted, the decision is made by the adcomm. Also, deans as top schools don't really have the time to talk to you (good luck cold calling the dean at, e.g, Columbia, and expecting the receptionist to put you through to him or her). If you have questions the person picking up the phone can answer them for you, there is really no reason to talk to adcomm.

Also, a B average is probably top 20% or better at Cooley considering median is around 2.3. So grades are probably what got you into the top 50 school.

Aloha4

New

Post by Aloha4 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:38 am

patrickd139 wrote:
Aloha4 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:

Someone needs a hug.
I'm sorry I upset you that much...

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:45 am

Everyone gets a hug! :D :D :D

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:02 pm

Aloha4 wrote:25 year old Virgin that still jerks off to William Shatner playing Captain Kirk flame??
The aforementioned 25 year old would probably be whackin' it to the Jonas Bros or possibly 98 degrees....Capt Kirk is slightly outdated, but if William Shatner is his thing he's probably fantasizing about the Rescue 911 opening monologue

Aloha4

New

Post by Aloha4 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:47 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
Aloha4 wrote:25 year old Virgin that still jerks off to William Shatner playing Captain Kirk flame??
The aforementioned 25 year old would probably be whackin' it to the Jonas Bros or possibly 98 degrees....Capt Kirk is slightly outdated, but if William Shatner is his thing he's probably fantasizing about the Rescue 911 opening monologue

Shatner is his avatar so I went with that. Jonas Brothers I think is for kids in HS right now. Nsync and Backstreet boys may have been more appropriate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”