IOWA 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Jerome

Bronze

Re: IOWA 2013

Post by Jerome » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:02 pm

mshflyer wrote:sent in my seat deposit!! It feels really good to finally be done with this cycle :)

if anyone is in need of a roommate, let me know. i'm coming from socal and probably won't be able to get out to iowa city to go apartment hunting.

also, anyone planning on going to the football games this fall? can't wait to meet everyone!
Ditto. From CO, but flying to Iowa is expensive as hell. May need a roommate, too. No one responds to ads on craigslist, any ideas of where else to look for a decent place?

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:11 pm

Jerome wrote:
mshflyer wrote:sent in my seat deposit!! It feels really good to finally be done with this cycle :)

if anyone is in need of a roommate, let me know. i'm coming from socal and probably won't be able to get out to iowa city to go apartment hunting.

also, anyone planning on going to the football games this fall? can't wait to meet everyone!
Ditto. From CO, but flying to Iowa is expensive as hell. May need a roommate, too. No one responds to ads on craigslist, any ideas of where else to look for a decent place?
Did you already try the roommate list published by the school?

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:16 pm

JOThompson wrote:
Jerome wrote:

I'm not settled on whether I'm living alone or not, so I haven't tried the school's list. At this point, I am frustrated by the lack of responsiveness from CL, as well as other services (iowacityrent.com, etc.). Just seeing if anyone around here had any secrets they were willing to share.

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Jerome wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
Jerome wrote:

I'm not settled on whether I'm living alone or not, so I haven't tried the school's list. At this point, I am frustrated by the lack of responsiveness from CL, as well as other services (iowacityrent.com, etc.). Just seeing if anyone around here had any secrets they were willing to share.
Honestly, your best bet is the list on the school's website. That's how I found my roommate. I guess you have to really decide what you want first though.

slowdiver

New

Post by slowdiver » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:49 pm

Iowa City is a bit different in that there are management companies that rent out most of the apartments. The nice thing is that you can contact one company and see what they have available, or go look at all the properties a particular company has on the market. If you can come into town for even 1 day, you can make appointments with a few companies and see a ton of apartments. Here's one company http://www.apartmentsiniowacity.com/ but there are a few other good ones (I recommend Heritage Property Management as well) if you Google "Iowa City apartments" or something similar.

The nice thing is that you might be able to find a 1- or 2-bedroom near the law school (that basically means on the west side of the river) for a low enough price that you don't need a roommate. I have a 2-bedroom by myself, and I use one room as an office. I know people who had a lot of luck using the official roommate list as well, but Craigslist just hasn't caught on enough here to be a very useful resource for housing--especially since the management companies do most of the letting rather than individuals. If anyone is looking for some insight on a particular area or apartment complex, please feel free to ask me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nole32304

New

Post by nole32304 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:41 pm

Hey there!
Has anyone purchased football tickets yet? I believe you may purchase them once you receive your UI student ID#

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:58 pm

nole32304 wrote:Hey there!
Has anyone purchased football tickets yet? I believe you may purchase them once you receive your UI student ID#
Just looked at the website, the PDF application doesn't have a place to check off for student tickets...

mshflyer

New

Post by mshflyer » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:58 pm

Absolutely buying tickets for next year and I can't wait to tailgate with all of you. You might want to try this website. I haven't bought my tickets yet, but it looks like this where you do it.
http://ev9.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce ... ntext%3DST

elizaD

New

Post by elizaD » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:49 am

mshflyer wrote:Absolutely buying tickets for next year and I can't wait to tailgate with all of you. You might want to try this website. I haven't bought my tickets yet, but it looks like this where you do it.
How much are tickets, does anyone know?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:58 am

Is anyone else that has deposited at Iowa going to sit on WL's over the summer? I'm pretty sure that's what i'm going to do and if so, i'm reluctant to find a place and sign a lease. Thoughts?

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:10 pm

elizaD wrote:
mshflyer wrote:Absolutely buying tickets for next year and I can't wait to tailgate with all of you. You might want to try this website. I haven't bought my tickets yet, but it looks like this where you do it.
I was told that the season tickets will be around $150 for us students.

tsub

New

Post by tsub » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Slimpee wrote:Is anyone else that has deposited at Iowa going to sit on WL's over the summer? I'm pretty sure that's what i'm going to do and if so, i'm reluctant to find a place and sign a lease. Thoughts?

Yeah, I paid a deposit but now I'm thinking about going to tOSU instead. Anyways, I'll be riding out the WUSTL WL over the summer. I think I might just put my stuff in storage before I go overseas for a month and then come back and find a place right before August if I don't get off the WL.

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:41 pm

nyskidude wrote:
elizaD wrote:
I was told that the season tickets will be around $150 for us students.
$168 for all 7 homegames
http://www.hawkeyesports.com/tickets/io ... ootbl.html

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:02 pm

I think that's probably going to be right, but with that said, I just tried to set up an account using my student ID, but received a message my student ID couldn't be validated. I'm assuming it's because we're not yet registered for classes. Has anyone else tried?

(not that I could have bought tickets yet, anyway--was just trying to get the ball rolling)

theghostofDrewTate

New

Post by theghostofDrewTate » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:41 pm

Relax on the student tickets. You'll get them. Back in the old days when I went there, LS started a week or two before UG and I think two weeks before the first football game. You just go over to the ticket office on the first Monday of the first week when LS has the intro to legal skills class and buy your tickets then. That way, you don't have to worry about them getting lost or stolen in the mail. The ticket office isn't far from the LS.

Ever since they moved the student section, it has been about half empty for nearly every game, including during our sick run last year. It's a shame, but it means you should have no problem scoring tickets. Don't sweat it.

As for housing, when I was there, Seville was kind of a dump. There are some better places on Oakcrest, but they cost a little more than Seville. There's also some places across from Seville on Benton that aren't bad. You can just walk to class from there, it's pretty convenient. The other benefit of the west side is that everything is within walking or stumbling distance to Kinnick. I still tailgate off of Woodside Drive, which is where I lived during part of LS.

Have they announced tuition for next year yet? I'm sure it has exploded since I graduated a few years ago. Do your best and get good grades or else you will get destroyed in the job market, unless it miraculously recovers in the next year. Good luck.

lcw

New

Post by lcw » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:33 pm

slowdiver wrote:Iowa City is a bit different in that there are management companies that rent out most of the apartments. The nice thing is that you can contact one company and see what they have available, or go look at all the properties a particular company has on the market. If you can come into town for even 1 day, you can make appointments with a few companies and see a ton of apartments. Here's one company http://www.apartmentsiniowacity.com/ but there are a few other good ones (I recommend Heritage Property Management as well) if you Google "Iowa City apartments" or something similar.
I'll be attending in the fall and just found a place through SouthGate Property Management on the west side of town. I've been told by friends who go to Iowa to not rent from property management companies that have the words "downtown" or "university" in their name as they are typically sub-par. Heritage Property Management did look like they had several nice properties. Assurance Property Management also had a nice looking property on Benton Street.

I also visited the Westgate Villas apartment complex while I was in Iowa City. The inside of the apartments were surprisingly nice although the outside looked somewhat run down. I took some pics if anyone is interested in this complex. Send me a PM and I can email them to you.

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:19 pm

i thought oakrest/westgate were too far to walk - fyi (given im remembering the names correctly).
apts on benton were close enough, imo.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:09 am

dt22 wrote:i thought oakrest/westgate were too far to walk - fyi (given im remembering the names correctly).
Yep, that's what mainly attracted me to the Benton St. housing. I love walking and I'm too frugal to own a car when I can live so close to the school.

lcw

New

Post by lcw » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:12 pm

JOThompson wrote:I love walking and I'm too frugal to own a car when I can live so close to the school.
From personal experience, walking any further than 1/4 mi. in Iowa from December through March could potentially be a downright miserable experience.

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:57 pm

JOThompson wrote:
dt22 wrote:i thought oakrest/westgate were too far to walk - fyi (given im remembering the names correctly).
Yep, that's what mainly attracted me to the Benton St. housing. I love walking and I'm too frugal to own a car when I can live so close to the school.
that's brave...i thought about selling mine but that quickly ended - it seems quite challenging, esp. as a 1L, not knowing anyone who can give you a ride to the grocery store, etc.
didn't have one my freshman year of undergrad, though.

slowdiver

New

Post by slowdiver » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:19 pm

dt22 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
that's brave...i thought about selling mine but that quickly ended - it seems quite challenging, esp. as a 1L, not knowing anyone who can give you a ride to the grocery store, etc.
didn't have one my freshman year of undergrad, though.
I personally like living close enough to walk/ride a bike to the law school every day (live just off Benton across from Seville apts), but I still really like having a car. It's hard to get groceries without one because there aren't any real grocery stores near that side of campus. Also, the area around the law school (or at least up near Benton) is pretty isolated from businesses of any sort. You at least need a bike to be mobile at all.

There are definitely people who do it without a car, but if you can swing it to have one, you'll probably be happier and have more time. When it gets late in the semester, it starts becoming difficult to find any time to do errands as it is.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:39 pm

thanks, that's what i was thinking!

sconnielaw13

Bronze

Post by sconnielaw13 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:45 am

Slimpee wrote:Is anyone else that has deposited at Iowa going to sit on WL's over the summer? I'm pretty sure that's what i'm going to do and if so, i'm reluctant to find a place and sign a lease. Thoughts?
I have deposited and I plan on riding out the WL at UW-Madison. However, I think I will probably give up on the wait once July 1st comes otherwise it is just to much of a scrammble to get housing and everything all lined up.

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:01 pm

lcw wrote:
JOThompson wrote:I love walking and I'm too frugal to own a car when I can live so close to the school.
From personal experience, walking any further than 1/4 mi. in Iowa from December through March could potentially be a downright miserable experience.
If winters in Iowa are anything like the winters in Chicago, this is unfortunately true. You can barely walk a couple of blocks without feeling your whole body go numb. Having said that, I think I should go back to studying for my driver's license, lol.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Maybe a bike would be a fair compromise? I don't like frostbite and gangrene very much. Thanks for the insight, everyone.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”