IOWA 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
thepcv

Bronze

Re: IOWA 2013

Post by thepcv » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi J-loe!

There's a pdf list on the Iowa law website for housing (ppl looking for roomates, etc.), but it hasn't been updated since last August. My guess is that they'll start updating it again this summer? I'm also going to be looking for apts/potential roommates. Unfortunately for me, I won't be back in the US until it's nearly time for law school to start....

As for football, I'm definitely planning on getting season tickets, too. I looked it up once, and the price seemed pretty reasonable for season tickets (2010 student price = $168 for the season of 7 home games). They also listed student guest prices and additional single-game prices on the website: http://www.hawkeyesports.com/tickets/io ... ootbl.html

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:44 pm

I can finally join one of these. Going to Iowa next fall! Sending in my deposit later this week! Can't wait to watch some Hawkeye football games. For those interested, they send out links to get season tickets in the Summer once the schedules are finalized.

Robin - So psyched that I get to go to law school with you! I remember waiting with you on the 12/1 DR for Georgetown, and I loved your story. Can't wait to meet you in person (and that goes for all of you)!

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:46 pm

Its official now - Paid my deposit at Iowa, going to Iowa City next fall!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:10 pm

nyskidude wrote:I can finally join one of these. Going to Iowa next fall! Sending in my deposit later this week! Can't wait to watch some Hawkeye football games. For those interested, they send out links to get season tickets in the Summer once the schedules are finalized.

Robin - So psyched that I get to go to law school with you! I remember waiting with you on the 12/1 DR for Georgetown, and I loved your story. Can't wait to meet you in person (and that goes for all of you)!
Awww thanks! Will you be going to ASW? Lets meet up if you are! Make sure to add your name to the TLS class of 2013 list for Iowa, I'm the only person on there so far it makes me sad!

As soon as I get paid again, I'm sending my check in to Iowa! I was going to send it in earlier then my car broke down :(

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:14 pm

jaskat wrote:
MoS wrote:
bhblack wrote:My FAFSA was just received by the Office of Student Financial Aid, just need to do the IVF thing now.

As far as living, I have a few friends from Iowa City who are going to give me a hand finding a place. I'm probably going for a single studio, but depending on cost might go for a two or three bedroom with roommates. Having another roommate in law school would be nice, since we would have similar homework/study loads. I'm sure there is a way students who need/want roommates can communicate and work something out.
I've looked at some of the older forums, and its quite normal for people to find roommates on here. If I end up going, which is likely, I might see if anyone is looking.
Maybe we should start asking students who are interested to find roommates so we can organize a sort of meet-up at ASW. I know I'd definitely appreciate finding a roommate.
Awww roommie, this post makes me chuckle!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:20 pm

robin600 wrote:
jaskat wrote:
MoS wrote:
bhblack wrote:My FAFSA was just received by the Office of Student Financial Aid, just need to do the IVF thing now.

As far as living, I have a few friends from Iowa City who are going to give me a hand finding a place. I'm probably going for a single studio, but depending on cost might go for a two or three bedroom with roommates. Having another roommate in law school would be nice, since we would have similar homework/study loads. I'm sure there is a way students who need/want roommates can communicate and work something out.
I've looked at some of the older forums, and its quite normal for people to find roommates on here. If I end up going, which is likely, I might see if anyone is looking.
Maybe we should start asking students who are interested to find roommates so we can organize a sort of meet-up at ASW. I know I'd definitely appreciate finding a roommate.
Awww roommie, this post makes me chuckle!
:mrgreen: See!!! I appreciated finding you, my roomie! :P

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:49 am

robin600 wrote:
nyskidude wrote:I can finally join one of these. Going to Iowa next fall! Sending in my deposit later this week! Can't wait to watch some Hawkeye football games. For those interested, they send out links to get season tickets in the Summer once the schedules are finalized.

Awww thanks! Will you be going to ASW? Lets meet up if you are! Make sure to add your name to the TLS class of 2013 list for Iowa, I'm the only person on there so far it makes me sad!

As soon as I get paid again, I'm sending my check in to Iowa! I was going to send it in earlier then my car broke down :(
Unfortunately, I won't be. Being in undergrad still, too young to rent a car, too expensive to fly into Iowa, etc. makes it almost impossible for me to make another trip out there like that. But I will be there in spirit.

Edit: Robin, how do I join that group?

tsub

New

Post by tsub » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:17 am

I'm going for Admitted Students Day this week and will likely be dropping a seat deposit while I'm there too, barring any crazy-bad vibes I get from the city and school.

I saw that we have a Peace Corps volunteer going to Iowa next year. Any TFA people like me?

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:32 pm

nyskidude wrote:
robin600 wrote:

Unfortunately, I won't be. Being in undergrad still, too young to rent a car, too expensive to fly into Iowa, etc. makes it almost impossible for me to make another trip out there like that. But I will be there in spirit.

Edit: Robin, how do I join that group?
I'll have a drink for you! Just post on the TLS class of 2013 thread that you're attending Iowa. Paid my seat deposit today pumped!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:09 am

Wait, Jaskat, you're a New Yorker too!? WOO HOO!!!! NY is gonna take over IA 8)

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:29 am

Sweet!!!! I should have guessed you were from NY by your name nyskidude, lol. Are you in the city and/or its surrounding boroughs? Or are you Upstate?

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:49 am

No, I'm from upstate. Way upstate. Like 2 hours north of Albany, nestled right in the Adirondacks upstate haha.

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:25 pm

Lol! You're as far from me as can be! I'm really glad there's another New Yorker though! :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:13 am

jaskat wrote:Lol! You're as far from me as can be! I'm really glad there's another New Yorker though! :)
I'm gonna take a wild guess then and say that you are a western New Yorker, like out near Buffalo then? No biggy, we like our fellow New Yorkers all the same. Where did you go for undergrad?

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:52 am

I'm from NYC and I go to school in midtown manhattan.

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:44 am

Ahhh, okay. That's cool. Been down to the city a handful of times, and I've never had a bad experience there. It's very.... large... compared to what I'm used to upstate haha

mshflyer

New

Post by mshflyer » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:25 am

sent in my seat deposit!! It feels really good to finally be done with this cycle :)

if anyone is in need of a roommate, let me know. i'm coming from socal and probably won't be able to get out to iowa city to go apartment hunting.

also, anyone planning on going to the football games this fall? can't wait to meet everyone!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nyskidude

Bronze

Post by nyskidude » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:28 am

mshflyer wrote:sent in my seat deposit!! It feels really good to finally be done with this cycle :)

if anyone is in need of a roommate, let me know. i'm coming from socal and probably won't be able to get out to iowa city to go apartment hunting.

also, anyone planning on going to the football games this fall? can't wait to meet everyone!
DEFINITELY wanna hit up the Hawkeye games this Fall. That might be what I am most excited about, coming from my D3, no football, sport teams such undergrad. We should do law school tailgates!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:17 pm

nyskidude wrote:
DEFINITELY wanna hit up the Hawkeye games this Fall. That might be what I am most excited about, coming from my D3, no football, sport teams such undergrad. We should do law school tailgates!
At the ASD they told us they do tailgates at the law school before each game and alums come and stuff. Sounds pretty cool...

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:05 pm

Sign me up for the tailgates.

elizaD

New

Post by elizaD » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:19 pm

DEFINITELY wanna hit up the Hawkeye games this Fall. That might be what I am most excited about, coming from my D3, no football, sport teams such undergrad. We should do law school tailgates![/quote]

Awesome

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:02 pm

I'm not really into football, is it still worth getting tickets to see the games? All I hear is how the games are the biggest social events in Iowa City, etc.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:44 pm

I was told, you can buy season tickets, but you can almost always find someone who wants to sell their tickets. So if you're a commitophobe you can do it that way and not commit to all the tickets.

SDSC

New

Post by SDSC » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:09 am

Does anyone know how/when we get football tickets? Are tickets guaranteed to law students?

Also, I visited IC a few weeks ago and spent an entire day scoping out the housing. Like stated earlier, most law students live near Benton, specifically old gold apts. and Seville. When asking the locals about housing, they always suggested living on the LS side of the river. I also looked into the Lodge and the amenities looked very nice, but I wasn't impressed(for the price).

Hope this helps.

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:53 am

SDSC wrote:Does anyone know how/when we get football tickets? Are tickets guaranteed to law students?

Also, I visited IC a few weeks ago and spent an entire day scoping out the housing. Like stated earlier, most law students live near Benton, specifically old gold apts. and Seville. When asking the locals about housing, they always suggested living on the LS side of the river. I also looked into the Lodge and the amenities looked very nice, but I wasn't impressed(for the price).

Hope this helps.
I heard (I think here on TLS?) that they'll send out notices as to when the season tickets go on sale. Definitely gonna jump on that, myself!

As for housing, I'm starting to give a lot more consideration to the grad housing units offered by UI (1 bedroom = $435/month; 2 bedroom = $480 and $600)--I just don't like the prospect of having to take the bus (even though it's free) to get to campus everyday. Has actually checked them out? Regardless, I'm definitely planning on staying on the LS side of the river.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”