Colorado Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
KmissP

Bronze

Re: Colorado Class of 2013

Post by KmissP » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:02 am

I applied online for a PLUS loan. The paperwork I received said I had been approved and that the information had been sent to the school.

I believe that scholarships show up in August sometime - but before financial aid funds are disbursed. So by the time you CAN take your loan funds, they will have already subtracted the scholarship amount from the amount you are eligible for. (Does that make any sense?)

Edit to add links to the site where you sign your mpn, etc.:

Info here:
http://www2.ed.gov/offices/OSFAP/Direct ... lying.html

and here:

https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action

adora

Bronze

Post by adora » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:16 am

KmissP wrote:I applied online for a PLUS loan. The paperwork I received said I had been approved and that the information had been sent to the school.

I believe that scholarships show up in August sometime - but before financial aid funds are disbursed. So by the time you CAN take your loan funds, they will have already subtracted the scholarship amount from the amount you are eligible for. (Does that make any sense?)

Edit to add links to the site where you sign your mpn, etc.:

Info here:
http://www2.ed.gov/offices/OSFAP/Direct ... lying.html

and here:

https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action
Thank you!!
So, when applying for the GradPlus, you just accepted the full amount they were offering, then they adjust for the scholarship later?

How long did it take to get through the whole GradPlus process?

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:45 am

Well, I haven't accepted any amount yet. It's offered on the CU connect financial aid page, but I haven't been able to change the status of acceptance. I don't think I'll be able to do that part until the scholarship shows up. What I did was fill out the application for the loan and sign the Master Promissory Note. I found out right away that I was approved- within a couple of days. It took maybe 20 minutes to go through all the paperwork online.
Last edited by KmissP on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adora

Bronze

Post by adora » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:56 am

So...did you get the application for GradPlus from CU?

adora

Bronze

Post by adora » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:37 pm

I think I figured it out :)
Sorry for being so neurotic...and thanks for all of your help!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:55 pm

Here are CU's financial aid instructions for getting and accepting loans:

--LinkRemoved--

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:06 pm

Incidentally, I just checked and my scholarship info is up. One less thing to worry about. :)

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:04 am

Yep, I was able to accept my loans yesterday.

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:00 pm

So I'm trying to do what I think all of you guys just did. I went to the CU thing and it wouldn't let me accept my loans, so I went to the studentloans.gov and did all their stuff (filled out the PLUS application, signed a MPN, etc.). I just need to wait a few days now and I'll be able to accept the loans?

Thanks for the help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:47 pm

Something like that, I think. It might be more than a couple of days, but not long. I did the MPN/app on June 8th, but I am not sure that if I had done it sooner, everything in the system would have been ready sooner.

leftieash

New

Post by leftieash » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Hi everyone --
For those of you not already in our CU Law 2013 Facebook group...I wanted to share an invitation to join other 1Ls for a beer/wine/margarita/hemp infused wine spritzer (it's Boulder, right?), intense discussion of "The Lost Children of Wilder", interpretive dances of your least-favorite logic games, and a rousing debate about the confirmation hearings of Elena Kagan. (Kidding, kidding! We'll obviously be drinking iced tea.)
We are going to do our best to get enough people to reserve the patio at the Lazy Dog on Pearl Street (http://www.thelazydog.com/) for the Saturday night before orientation -- August 14th, maybe around 6ish? Everyone is invited (significant others, the Senate judiciary committee, etc.), so please spread the word. It's a casual bar with some student-loan-friendly drink specials and it should be a good time.
So keep your Saturday night open! If you know you can come now, please shoot me a TLS message (or you can send me an email or Facebook message if you join the Facebook group)...just so we can get a rough head count. If you're not sure, we'll be reminding you in August, and you can let us know if you can come then. Hope everyone is having a lovely summer and we are looking forward to seeing everyone there!
Thanks!
Ashley

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:42 am

I just put two and two together! Awesome!

doza

New

Post by doza » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:01 pm

leftieash wrote:Hi everyone --
For those of you not already in our CU Law 2013 Facebook group...I wanted to share an invitation to join other 1Ls for a beer/wine/margarita/hemp infused wine spritzer (it's Boulder, right?), intense discussion of "The Lost Children of Wilder", interpretive dances of your least-favorite logic games, and a rousing debate about the confirmation hearings of Elena Kagan. (Kidding, kidding! We'll obviously be drinking iced tea.)
We are going to do our best to get enough people to reserve the patio at the Lazy Dog on Pearl Street (http://www.thelazydog.com/) for the Saturday night before orientation -- August 14th, maybe around 6ish? Everyone is invited (significant others, the Senate judiciary committee, etc.), so please spread the word. It's a casual bar with some student-loan-friendly drink specials and it should be a good time.
So keep your Saturday night open! If you know you can come now, please shoot me a TLS message (or you can send me an email or Facebook message if you join the Facebook group)...just so we can get a rough head count. If you're not sure, we'll be reminding you in August, and you can let us know if you can come then. Hope everyone is having a lovely summer and we are looking forward to seeing everyone there!
Thanks!
Ashley
Haha I love it - count me in! I sent you a fb message, Ashley. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

neilu789

New

Post by neilu789 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:31 pm

Has anyone heard anything about registration. Will we just automatically get enrolled in our Fall 1L classes? Anyone know when we will find out about what sections we will be in? The reason I ask is, I want to buy some textbooks online (much cheaper than bookstores) but they usually take a few weeks to ship.
Thanks.

BroncoHawkeye

New

Post by BroncoHawkeye » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:04 am

neilu789 wrote:Has anyone heard anything about registration. Will we just automatically get enrolled in our Fall 1L classes? Anyone know when we will find out about what sections we will be in? The reason I ask is, I want to buy some textbooks online (much cheaper than bookstores) but they usually take a few weeks to ship.
Thanks.
As I understand it, we don't actually get to register for ourselves the first two semesters. According to the 1L handbook that's posted in the admitted student portal, "You will be registered for all 1L courses by the law school registrar, which is out of your control. However, you can log onto PLUS or CUCONNECT (see links above) to see your schedule once courses are assigned during the summer (usually in August)." (5th page)

--LinkRemoved--

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:13 pm

Just arrived in Boulder a few days ago. Took me a few days to get my utilities set up and get my apartment furnished, but I'm good to go now. I likely won't have much going on until school begins. I know a bunch of people in town so I'll probably be going out a lot, but if any of you all are doing anything fun or organizing any events, let me know. <3

BroncoHawkeye

New

Post by BroncoHawkeye » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:34 pm

Interesting story from the Boulder Daily Camera today.
The University of Colorado's law school is adding a course for its first-year students -- a colossal change to the curriculum that has been set in stone since the school was established in 1892.

Beginning in the fall, first-year CU law students will take "Legislation and Regulation" to prepare them for a legal profession that is increasingly bound by federal regulations and state statutes. The course will examine the way Congress and administrative agencies adopt rules of law and how courts interpret them.

Read more: CU law school makes first-ever curriculum change for first-year students - Boulder Daily Camera http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_1550 ... z0tWeknAH9
DailyCamera.com

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:55 pm

Does anyone know if law school students receive a free bus pass with tuition? I'm aware this is standard for undergrads, but I haven't seen anything about it in the law school materials. I'm working out a budget for the school year and trying to determine how much I'll need to use a car.

icarter

Bronze

Post by icarter » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:13 pm

Yes, you do receive a free bus pass!
j.wellington wrote:Does anyone know if law school students receive a free bus pass with tuition? I'm aware this is standard for undergrads, but I haven't seen anything about it in the law school materials. I'm working out a budget for the school year and trying to determine how much I'll need to use a car.

rekopter

New

Post by rekopter » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:13 pm

icarter wrote:Yes, you do receive a free bus pass!
j.wellington wrote:Does anyone know if law school students receive a free bus pass with tuition? I'm aware this is standard for undergrads, but I haven't seen anything about it in the law school materials. I'm working out a budget for the school year and trying to determine how much I'll need to use a car.
It's not free, it's a mandatory $71 fee (http://www.colorado.edu/bursar/now/mand ... spg11.html)

I get my money's worth though, and it works for the skyride to DIA and all Denver regional routes.

icarter

Bronze

Post by icarter » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:30 pm

rekopter wrote:
icarter wrote:Yes, you do receive a free bus pass!
It's not free, it's a mandatory $71 fee (http://www.colorado.edu/bursar/now/mand ... spg11.html)

I get my money's worth though, and it works for the skyride to DIA and all Denver regional routes.
Ok, I meant that its free in the sense that you get it automatically. Rekopter is right, you do pay for it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:50 pm

That $71 is looking better and better...

http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_15510053

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:56 pm

$71 a semester strikes me as pretty cheap for complete in-town and regional bus use. I imagine I'll still need to own a car of some kind, which sucks, but it's nice to know I won't have to use it much day-to-day.

doza

New

Post by doza » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:27 pm

Hey guys . . . did anyone else get that email about the discounted 1L law school edge course from Kaplan? Normally, I don't think I'd do something like this, but it's only $49 for two days. Not too bad! I might do it if I can find the time. Anyone else?

adora

Bronze

Post by adora » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:55 pm

doza wrote:Hey guys . . . did anyone else get that email about the discounted 1L law school edge course from Kaplan? Normally, I don't think I'd do something like this, but it's only $49 for two days. Not too bad! I might do it if I can find the time. Anyone else?
I'd like to! But the timing kinda sucks :/. I'm moving from NE to CO on July 31.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”