Fordham Class of 2013/2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
nygrrrl

Gold

Re: Fordham Class of 2013/2014

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:12 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:Section 11 anyone?
Section 12, sharing Crim with Section 11 (Oh, HAI HEP!)

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:46 pm

nygiants wrote:I was checking out my books @ the bookstore website, one of my classes, Criminal Law 5&6 (CRGL-0103-005) isn't listed... anyone else have this problem?
I'm in the same crim law class as you and mine isn't listed either so I wouldn't sweat it. I called student affairs to ask why they recommended waiting to purchase books and was told there is a slim chance your section could change or professors will change the books they are assigning. Not sure how much I buy this, but whatever.

nygiants

New

Post by nygiants » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:55 pm

kaydish21 wrote:
nygiants wrote:I was checking out my books @ the bookstore website, one of my classes, Criminal Law 5&6 (CRGL-0103-005) isn't listed... anyone else have this problem?
I'm in the same crim law class as you and mine isn't listed either so I wouldn't sweat it. I called student affairs to ask why they recommended waiting to purchase books and was told there is a slim chance your section could change or professors will change the books they are assigning. Not sure how much I buy this, but whatever.
Oh ok, thanks.

JD10009

New

Post by JD10009 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:22 pm

nygiants wrote:
kaydish21 wrote:
Oh ok, thanks.
I don't really buy the "change of books" reason, either. Seems to me they just want us to wait until we need the books so that we buy them from the bookstore instead Amazon. I'm thinking I'll just buy the books off Amazon that are significantly cheaper now, and wait until orientation to buy the rest.

meluvmuzic

New

Post by meluvmuzic » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:47 am

jk11287 wrote:
kryptix wrote:Anyone know the rationale behind not buying books early? Can our courses still change?
I'm not sure, but I'm comparing the bookstore vs. amazon right now, and it seems like they are about 20 bucks cheaper on amazon (Criminal law text: 164 at Lincoln Center, 146 on amazon).

edit: sorry, its only a few books that are cheaper. the rest are the same, plus you'd have to pay shipping. disregard me.
About shipping re: Amazon. If you have a .edu email address (which we all do now) you can sign up for a free year of Amazon Prime which gives you free two day shipping. It only works for books ordered directly from Amazon & not the other vendors.. but I ordered books on Friday and one was delivered on Saturday, the rest were delivered Monday.

Still waiting on a few that I bought from second hand sellers but shipping was just $3.99 and I definitely saved a good $100 off of what I would have paid if I bought them all from the bookstore.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:40 pm

Is anyone currently looking for housing very close to school? I've lived in my current apartment for a year, and I just re-signed the lease. I love living here! It's a true two bedroom on the parlor floor of a gorgeous brownstone, on 68th St, one block west of Central Park. The person who was going to be my roommate this year (a very dear friend) just found out she isn't coming to New York, so the other room is available, and I would love to live with another Fordham student. The building is animal friendly, and it's cheaper than living in the dorms, and much nicer! (There is actually room to entertain, and a marble bathroom, and ample closet and storage space, shockingly!) Best of all, no broker fees, and everything is settled. It's an easy walk to school, which has been a lifesaver this past year. The rent is $1347.50, plus half utilities, which don't get too bad. I honestly think this is the best location in the world-- Magnolia Bakery is a block away, and there is a post office across the street. Lincoln Center itself is a three minute walk if you walk slowly. :)

If you are looking, or have friends who are, PM me! BTW, I have a ragdoll kitty, and am very amenable to living with more pets, which I know can be a difficult situation to find in New York. Enough people know me and can vouch for me as a roommate, lol.

Oh, and I should say this is for August 15th, though this date is flexible.

MrSoOoFLy

Bronze

Post by MrSoOoFLy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:20 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:Section 11 anyone?
I'm with ya =]

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:02 pm

Hows the aep going for all those participating?

MrSoOoFLy

Bronze

Post by MrSoOoFLy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:42 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Hows the aep going for all those participating?
Wonderful actually.. not only are the sessions informative but everyone is just so friendly and willing to help you.... Fordham Family! :)

Edit: Whoever has Professor Neustadt for Legal Writing is lucky as hell... Great lecture today!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BRenzu

New

Post by BRenzu » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:03 pm

Has anyone purchased books yet? I know the orientation letter suggested waiting until orientation, but I'm not sure of the reasoning behind that and the bookstore already has our teacher-required textbooks listed and available for purchase. Also, have people started considering which brand of supplemental outlines/explanations, if any, they are going to be getting? I definitely want to get some outline/explanation books but I'm not sure which would be the most helpful, 2L/3L's any advice?

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:53 pm

BRenzu wrote:Has anyone purchased books yet? I know the orientation letter suggested waiting until orientation, but I'm not sure of the reasoning behind that and the bookstore already has our teacher-required textbooks listed and available for purchase. Also, have people started considering which brand of supplemental outlines/explanations, if any, they are going to be getting? I definitely want to get some outline/explanation books but I'm not sure which would be the most helpful, 2L/3L's any advice?
I remember some people saying earlier that we should wait until class starts to purchase supplemental material, as the professor will general recommend which one conforms to his class the best. The "official" reason for waiting to get our textbooks is in case our section changes or whatever, but I agree with the person above who said that its probably to force us to buy them at school instead of on amazon.

yung

Bronze

Post by yung » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi everyone I am actually wondering how everyone found out what sections they are in? Also is anyone here attending the LLM orientations and if we need to sign up for them?

MrSoOoFLy

Bronze

Post by MrSoOoFLy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:27 pm

yung wrote:Hi everyone I am actually wondering how everyone found out what sections they are in? Also is anyone here attending the LLM orientations and if we need to sign up for them?
I can only answer the first part of that question.

To check your section:
1. Log into my.fordham.edu
2. Click the student tab on the left side of the page.
3. Click on my courses on the center of the page

And your courses will be listed. You have a section of 40 and a super section (2 combined sections) of 80.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:29 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:
yung wrote:Hi everyone I am actually wondering how everyone found out what sections they are in? Also is anyone here attending the LLM orientations and if we need to sign up for them?
I can only answer the first part of that question.

To check your section:
1. Log into my.fordham.edu
2. Click the student tab on the left side of the page.
3. Click on my courses on the center of the page

And your courses will be listed. You have a section of 40 and a super section (2 combined sections) of 80.
May I slightly alter MrSoOoFLy's explaination? As of this morning, when you click the student tab you're led to a page that says "Banner Self-Service" in the middle (if it's different this afternoon, apologies!) click on THAT and you get to the courses folder. (OH HAI SOOOFLY!)

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:30 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:Hows the aep going for all those participating?
Wonderful actually.. not only are the sessions informative but everyone is just so friendly and willing to help you.... Fordham Family! :)

Edit: Whoever has Professor Neustadt for Legal Writing is lucky as hell... Great lecture today!
Also +100000000000000000 to all of the above.

queenofhearts

New

Post by queenofhearts » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:19 pm

Is everyone doing the public service day?

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:10 am

OperaSoprano wrote:Is anyone currently looking for housing very close to school? I've lived in my current apartment for a year, and I just re-signed the lease. I love living here! It's a true two bedroom on the parlor floor of a gorgeous brownstone, on 68th St, one block west of Central Park. The person who was going to be my roommate this year (a very dear friend) just found out she isn't coming to New York, so the other room is available, and I would love to live with another Fordham student. The building is animal friendly, and it's cheaper than living in the dorms, and much nicer! (There is actually room to entertain, and a marble bathroom, and ample closet and storage space, shockingly!) Best of all, no broker fees, and everything is settled. It's an easy walk to school, which has been a lifesaver this past year. The rent is $1347.50, plus half utilities, which don't get too bad. I honestly think this is the best location in the world-- Magnolia Bakery is a block away, and there is a post office across the street. Lincoln Center itself is a three minute walk if you walk slowly. :)

If you are looking, or have friends who are, PM me! BTW, I have a ragdoll kitty, and am very amenable to living with more pets, which I know can be a difficult situation to find in New York. Enough people know me and can vouch for me as a roommate, lol.

Oh, and I should say this is for August 15th, though this date is flexible.
BUMPING this post to say that I can totally vouch for Opera - she's an amazing person and I think she'd be a great roommate!!! (Also? She is NOT kidding about the location - perfect.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:55 am

If people are still wondering about a good place for happy hour, I'd probably say Bourbon Street is your best bet. It's on 80th and Amsterdam and from 4-8 they have two-for-one drinks on pretty much everything. The place gets packed but shouldn't be too bad if you get there early. O yah- on Thursday-Friday after 9 they have 50 cent beers.

mdgold

New

Post by mdgold » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:50 pm

how do we know which books to get for each course? Also, is there anything else (another book etc) we need for orientation besides Whose Monet? Thanks

timertimer61

Bronze

Post by timertimer61 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:43 pm

just moved into the city in lincoln center....anyone up for some bar hopping?

vroomzoomdoom

New

Post by vroomzoomdoom » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Anyone want a free copy of 'Starting Off Right in Law School'? http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Off-Righ ... 0890898774

I'm in Manhattan. PM me if you're interested.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Springsteen

New

Post by Springsteen » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:58 am

First assignments are beginning to be posted. Weird that I'm actually kind of excited?

mdgold

New

Post by mdgold » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Springsteen wrote:First assignments are beginning to be posted. Weird that I'm actually kind of excited?
Where do you see this?

yung

Bronze

Post by yung » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:02 pm

hey thanks alot for answering my question guys! Gotta call fordham again...locked out of my account...

Oh btw anyone here attending those seminars later this week? And anyone know if you have to sign up to attend those?

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:28 pm

yung wrote:hey thanks alot for answering my question guys! Gotta call fordham again...locked out of my account...

Oh btw anyone here attending those seminars later this week? And anyone know if you have to sign up to attend those?
Are you locked out of Accepted Students? I am, too! They told me it must be my computer, but I don't agree. I've found a way to backdoor in but please do call - let them know other people are having the same problem!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”