Notre Dame Fightin Irish Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
vanstone22

Bronze

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Post by vanstone22 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:09 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:
vanstone22 wrote:Visiting WUSTL tomorrow, I'm hoping to make my final decision by tomorrow.
Let me know what you think of WUSTL and how it compares to ND.
I will, I am seeking out as much honest career information as possible. I feel that current students have offered the most help to me. They tend to be less sugar coated/more bitter about the whole scenario.

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:12 pm

vanstone22 wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:
vanstone22 wrote:Visiting WUSTL tomorrow, I'm hoping to make my final decision by tomorrow.
Let me know what you think of WUSTL and how it compares to ND.
I will, I am seeking out as much honest career information as possible. I feel that current students have offered the most help to me. They tend to be less sugar coated/more bitter about the whole scenario.
I like your thinking--I've definitely noticed that, too.

colemf

Bronze

Post by colemf » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:46 pm

theantiscalia wrote:
brocklanders12 wrote:
colemf wrote:Hey how long did it take for yall to get your fin. aid from the day you were admitted?
I am also interested in this.
I emailed the Financial Aid Office... they were very helpful. I was admitted on April 1 and they mailed me the letter on Monday (April 12).
Ok great, i was admitted on the 6th so i'll give it a few more days.

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:49 pm

colemf wrote:
theantiscalia wrote:
brocklanders12 wrote:
colemf wrote:Hey how long did it take for yall to get your fin. aid from the day you were admitted?
I am also interested in this.
I emailed the Financial Aid Office... they were very helpful. I was admitted on April 1 and they mailed me the letter on Monday (April 12).
Ok great, i was admitted on the 6th so i'll give it a few more days.
They did say in their email, FWIW, that they don't put GradPlus in the award letters, but that you can take them out up to COA. So don't be alarmed when that happens to you...

I'm glad they told me in advance, because I would have freaked out.

brocklanders12

New

Post by brocklanders12 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:33 pm

Thanks for the info. I just got in on Monday so I guess I'll find out late next week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:58 am

Somebody already posted this to the FB group but I thought it was really cool.

--LinkRemoved--

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:36 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:Somebody already posted this to the FB group but I thought it was really cool.

--LinkRemoved--
That is really cool. There's a Facebook group?

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:27 pm

I'm in... seat deposit mailed.

Go Fightin' Irish!

UrbanAchievers

Bronze

Post by UrbanAchievers » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:39 pm

I'm also committed. Paid the deposit, got an apartment. Now I just have to cut the strings at my job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brocklanders12

New

Post by brocklanders12 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:29 pm

theantiscalia wrote:
fulkersonr1 wrote:Somebody already posted this to the FB group but I thought it was really cool.

--LinkRemoved--
That is really cool. There's a Facebook group?
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/gro ... 8141147371

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:37 pm

what are some of the major negatives when it comes to the graduate housing? i won't be visiting any apts because of time constraints and thought graduate housing would be the safest way to go.

cheesus

New

Post by cheesus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:08 pm

ND '07 Grad. Sent my deposit in today also. Probably living off campus in one of the complexes in Mishawaka.

I am also going to be heading to ND to tailgate for the Blue/Gold game next weekend if any of you are going to be there for that. PM me if you want to meet up.

colemf

Bronze

Post by colemf » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:26 pm

Go Irish

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:47 pm

Hey guys, after a lot of hard decision making, I decided to withdraw from ND. Texas came in just a few weeks ago gave me more money than my ND scholarship and ND wasn't able to match, so I had to take a hard look at finances and such.

I'm sure everyone will have a GREAT time, and I was sad to switch my plans. I really thought I would be in South Bend for the next few years.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:53 pm

I committed to ND today. However, I am deferring my entry for a year -- so actually I am class of 2014.

Still, I'm joining this thread in the hopes of learning more about ND and living South Bend (good apartments, things to do, etc). Hope to visit at least a few times in the coming months. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you, maybe during one of the football weekends.

ps- Pearalegal if you want some good apartment ideas in Austin, PM me.

savagecheater

Bronze

Post by savagecheater » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:02 am

clint4law wrote:what are some of the major negatives when it comes to the graduate housing? i won't be visiting any apts because of time constraints and thought graduate housing would be the safest way to go.
bumping this - are there any real benefits to on campus housing?

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:35 pm

I really want to join the Facebook group, but I can't until I quit my job in August...

How long did it take for the admissions office to issue a ND ID after your seat deposit was received?

I'm also interested in the benefits of on-versus-off campus housing. Since the utilities are included and the apartments are furnished, it seems like on-campus isn't a bad deal...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:59 pm

If you don't mind me asking, did anyone choose Notre Dame over GW or WUSTL? Why?

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:If you don't mind me asking, did anyone choose Notre Dame over GW or WUSTL? Why?
Chose ND over WUSTL even though WUSTL was cheaper option. I feel ND has better reach to East Coast and strength of the alumni network. Also just felt ND was the best fit for me.

notme

New

Post by notme » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:01 pm

I chose ND over the others last year, even though WUSTL gave a lot more money. I'm from CA and WUSTL is pretty much an unknown here, while ND has some pull here. I later got offers from UCLA and Cornell, and although I preferred ND I probably would have felt compelled to take Cornell. I ended up at UCLA at sticker. I did a ton of due diligence and visited the schools. Of the top 25 below USC, I felt ND had the most consistent performance and was the only school with a national rep, at least enough of a national rep to reach well into CA. I was also accepted to Hastings and Davis, but felt that ND had a better rep, even in CA, and would help set me apart.

I see you asked this question in an alternative form in the GW and WUSTL sites. I will be interested to see what people have to say.

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:59 am

There are a lot of committed people in this thread, but there aren't many of us in the TLS Class of 2013 forum. Pick up the slack!

I picked ND over WUSTL for resume diversity (I went to WUSTL UG), better national career options, and better clerkship placement. Also, it was cheaper and I'm interested in the London Law Program.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vanstone22

Bronze

Post by vanstone22 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:17 pm

theantiscalia wrote:There are a lot of committed people in this thread, but there aren't many of us in the TLS Class of 2013 forum. Pick up the slack!

I picked ND over WUSTL for resume diversity (I went to WUSTL UG), better national career options, and better clerkship placement. Also, it was cheaper and I'm interested in the London Law Program.

+1 now.

jbrowning82

Bronze

Post by jbrowning82 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:50 pm

I'm sure a lot of you guys are already on the NDLS Class of 2013 facebook group but I'll post the notice here as well:

I'm enrolled for next year and we're looking for a fourth person to fill out a fully furnished 4 bedroom house. It's within walking distance (15 minutes) and rent is only $350 a month. I've spoken with the current tenants and they speak very highly of the house/neighborhood. There are lots of sweet amenities included like a big porch, grill, and when I say fully furnished I mean down to flatware and utensils.

If you're at all interested email me at jrb.pcv@gmail.com and I'll tell you all about it.

txhorn

Bronze

Post by txhorn » Mon May 10, 2010 4:26 pm

Without rank, how is law review and dean's list determined and what would the unofficial cutoffs be (in terms of %)?

expat17

New

Post by expat17 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:02 am

hi - potential fall 2010 classmate but first time poster to a nd thread.

visited notre dame recently and was ... well, scared. of south bend. not for safety concerns - more the lack of a whole foods and the fact that quiznos is being listed in the student guide as "fine dining". the new law buildings are awesome though.

for anyone thinking about off-campus housing for the fall, i wanted to put in my two cents. right across from the law school they are building the "eddy commons" with "city-style" loft apartments and a shabang of amenities like a gym, business center, garage parking, etc. the one bedrooms are pricey but for 2-3 bedrooms you're looking at about 600-750 / person to be able to walk to law classes.

will hopefully look forward to joining you. turning down some t20 and t10s to come. hopefully no regrets! go irish!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”