University of Minnesota 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Jenno

New

Re: University of Minnesota 2013

Post by Jenno » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:47 am

does anyone know if there is a citibank near/around the campus? Not just an atm, but an actual bank office?

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:51 am

Jenno wrote:does anyone know if there is a citibank near/around the campus? Not just an atm, but an actual bank office?
And what about banking in general? What are generally considered the best or most convenient options?

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:29 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
Jenno wrote:does anyone know if there is a citibank near/around the campus? Not just an atm, but an actual bank office?
And what about banking in general? What are generally considered the best or most convenient options?
TCF seems to have a ton of locations in/around campus. A couple U students highly recommended the bank to me. I was seriously thinking of setting up an account when I was in Minneapolis. You get $50 for opening a new account IIRC, just gotta watch out for the monthly fees.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:49 am

JOThompson wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
TCF seems to have a ton of locations in/around campus. A couple U students highly recommended the bank to me. I was seriously thinking of setting up an account when I was in Minneapolis. You get $50 for opening a new account IIRC, just gotta watch out for the monthly fees.
Awesome, thanks! And based on a quick google search, it seems they have a totally free option for students:
--LinkRemoved--

You decide where you're headed?

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:56 am

I'm really close to making a decision between Emory and Minnesota, and from what I've read, I think I'd enjoy Minneapolis more than Atlanta.

Anyone make a similar decision?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:03 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
Awesome, thanks! And based on a quick google search, it seems they have a totally free option for students:
--LinkRemoved--

You decide where you're headed?
Nice deal. U students receive plenty of perks in the Twin Cities. That ~$85/semester public transportation pass is great for students who won't be bringing a car to law school.

I've decided to matriculate at Iowa. If cost wasn't an issue, I'd go to UMN in a heartbeat. As someone that's interested in PI work though, it's critical that I keep my debt to a minimum and Iowa would be the most affordable option. I'm still torn, but I think I made the best choice for my situation. What about you, have you settled on a school yet?

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:06 am

cendien wrote:I'm really close to making a decision between Emory and Minnesota, and from what I've read, I think I'd enjoy Minneapolis more than Atlanta.

Not sure what you're looking for in "similar," but I had to choose between UMN and WUSTL (among others). I've all but decided on UMN. I'm still waiting to hear from Cornell, but absent a Big Red acceptance, I'll be in Minneapolis next year. A big reason for my choosing UMN over WUSTL is that I would much rather be in Minneapolis than in St. Louis: during law school, after graduation, and just in general. I had always heard good things about the Twin Cities, loved it when I visited, and I've hated St. Louis every time I've been to it.
Last edited by Thomas Jefferson on Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:11 am

JOThompson wrote: I've decided to matriculate at Iowa. If cost wasn't an issue, I'd go to UMN in a heartbeat. As someone that's interested in PI work though, it's critical that I keep my debt to a minimum and Iowa would be the most affordable option. I'm still torn, but I think I made the best choice for my situation. What about you, have you settled on a school yet?
Ah, sorry I won't be seeing you in Minneapolis next year! I certainly understand though; you got an awesome deal from Iowa. I'm still (sigh) waiting on Cornell, like pretty much everyone else who was deferred in December, but that's the only thing keeping me from sending in my deposit to Minnesota.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:14 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
JOThompson wrote: I've decided to matriculate at Iowa. If cost wasn't an issue, I'd go to UMN in a heartbeat. As someone that's interested in PI work though, it's critical that I keep my debt to a minimum and Iowa would be the most affordable option. I'm still torn, but I think I made the best choice for my situation. What about you, have you settled on a school yet?
Ah, sorry I won't be seeing you in Minneapolis next year! I certainly understand though; you got an awesome deal from Iowa. I'm still (sigh) waiting on Cornell, like pretty much everyone else who was deferred in December, but that's the only thing keeping me from sending in my deposit to Minnesota.
I met some great folks at the UMN ASD and I really regret that I won't be joining you all in the Twin Cities next year. You're definitely welcome to visit me in Iowa City, it's only a few hours away. Hoping you receive favorable news from Cornell. If not though, I think UMN will make your goals attainable. Keep in touch!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:27 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
cendien wrote:I'm really close to making a decision between Emory and Minnesota, and from what I've read, I think I'd enjoy Minneapolis more than Atlanta.

Not sure what you're looking for in "similar," but I had to choose between UMN and WUSTL (among others). I've all but decided on UMN. I'm still waiting to hear from Cornell, but absent a Big Red acceptance, I'll be in Minneapolis next year. A big reason for my choosing UMN over WUSTL is that I would much rather be in Minneapolis than in St. Louis: during law school, after graduation, and just in general. I had always heard good things about the Twin Cities, loved it when I visited, and I've hated St. Louis every time I've been to it.
I was also looking at WUSTL, but they didn't increase my scholarship enough to make the difference worth it. I'm also waiting on Cornell (was recently deferred), but I'll be putting down a deposit at either UMN or Emory in the next week or so. UMN is definitely where I'm leaning at the moment, but I'm having a really hard time committing! I've also only heard good things about Minneapolis, though, being from Texas, all anyone can offer in conversation is, "You know its cold up there, right?" No shit.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:31 am

Visit if possible, that may help you make the decision. I was originally wary of the prospect of living in Minnesota, but I ended up loving the Twin Cities after spending a few days there.

cendien

Bronze

Post by cendien » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:36 am

JOThompson wrote:Visit if possible, that may help you make the decision. I was originally wary of the prospect of living in Minnesota, but I ended up loving the Twin Cities after spending a few days there.
Yeah, I may try to make it up there. Unfortunately, theres not much time before the deposit deadline and I'm pretty busy between now and then. But maybe I'll get a chance. I'm trying to do as much reading about them as possible.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:51 am

JOThompson wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
I met some great folks at the UMN ASD and I really regret that I won't be joining you all in the Twin Cities next year. You're definitely welcome to visit me in Iowa City, it's only a few hours away. Hoping you receive favorable news from Cornell. If not though, I think UMN will make your goals attainable. Keep in touch!
Same to you if you're ever headed up to the Twin Cities, and the best of luck to you at Iowa!

I also want to echo the point that anyone considering Minnesota should visit if they can. It really is an awesome city.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

xanderdellus

Bronze

Post by xanderdellus » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:39 am

Made it official Friday. UMN here we come!

Fast_Fingers

Silver

Post by Fast_Fingers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:11 pm

xanderdellus wrote:Made it official Friday. UMN here we come!
Looking forward to meeting you...possibly again (IIRC you went to the March ASW). I sent mine two weeks ago. The large t-shirt hasn't arrived.
cendien wrote:I was also looking at WUSTL, but they didn't increase my scholarship enough to make the difference worth it. I'm also waiting on Cornell (was recently deferred), but I'll be putting down a deposit at either UMN or Emory in the next week or so. UMN is definitely where I'm leaning at the moment, but I'm having a really hard time committing! I've also only heard good things about Minneapolis, though, being from Texas, all anyone can offer in conversation is, "You know its cold up there, right?" No shit.
QFT from a fellow Texan.

dreamweaver87

Bronze

Post by dreamweaver87 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:53 pm

So stressed trying to negotiate merit aid with a bunch of schools. I really wish UMN's deposit deadline weren't Monday. Additionally, I wish it weren't $750. Yeesh.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:43 pm

Just submitted my deposit!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:57 pm

Wazzup classmates...less than 5 months until the insanity begins.

xanderdellus

Bronze

Post by xanderdellus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:03 am

Fast_Fingers wrote: Looking forward to meeting you...possibly again (IIRC you went to the March ASW). I sent mine two weeks ago. The large t-shirt hasn't arrived.
On the FB group, they said the T-shirts will come this summer, but I heard the ASW we may have a water bottle in our near future.

Jenno

New

Post by Jenno » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:49 am

Has anyone (who has already submitted their deposit) gotten any additional packets or information from the school?

alexanderkaim

New

Post by alexanderkaim » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Jenno wrote:Has anyone (who has already submitted their deposit) gotten any additional packets or information from the school?
Haven't received anything myself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dvd

Bronze

Post by dvd » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:26 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neil

Bronze

Post by Neil » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:36 pm

dvd wrote:In off the waitlist, with a full tuition scholarship!
:shock: Congrats! Going to be joining us?

Fast_Fingers

Silver

Post by Fast_Fingers » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:51 pm

Neil wrote:
dvd wrote:In off the waitlist, with a full tuition scholarship!
:shock: Congrats! Going to be joining us?
Convince him:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &p=2879284

dvd

Bronze

Post by dvd » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:52 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”