University of Minnesota 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
faceman9000

New

University of Minnesota 2013

Post by faceman9000 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:26 am

Who is ready for the formidable tundra of insanity, where for three months out of every year you actually cannot feel your face?

Don't worry, we'll find shelter in one of the best law libraries in the country.

lawgunner75

New

Re: University of Minnesota 2013

Post by lawgunner75 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:14 pm

I am looking forward to it! (and plan on making good use of the skywalk system!) Where do people plan on living? Any thoughts? Apparently many students live in Uptown Minneapolis or nearby St. Paul. I am thinking St. Paul...might be nice to get a little distance between myself and the school. :wink:

lawgunner75

New

Post by lawgunner75 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Also meant to note there is a Facebook group up already for the Class of 2013 admitted students (created by the admissions committee). You have to request to join. Let's try to get as many of us on there as possible!

RahmE

New

Post by RahmE » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Don't live in Uptown. It's overrun with hipsters...but not cutting-edge-of-culture hipsters, just douchey hipsters who heard it was cool to live in Uptown and moved there right as the wave broke and began to roll back.

I'm looking toward Dinkytown...I miss the college atmosphere a bit, and you're close to campus without being on campus, smashed between the freshman dorms.

I'm excited for the U because it will be warmer than undergrad for me...I went to school in central/northern MN.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:24 pm

lawgunner75 wrote:I am looking forward to it! (and plan on making good use of the skywalk system!) Where do people plan on living? Any thoughts? Apparently many students live in Uptown Minneapolis or nearby St. Paul. I am thinking St. Paul...might be nice to get a little distance between myself and the school. :wink:
My WL status will not keep me from dropping in on this thread, FYI...

I live in the The Wedge neighborhood which is just south of what is considered "Uptown". I can easily walk to the Uptown restaurants and bars while also being close to downtown. I think it's a fantastic area.

I agree with having a bit of distance from the school. No matter where I end up, I want my home life and school life separate so i'll do as little studying at home as possible...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FacistCommunist

New

Post by FacistCommunist » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:26 pm

For those of you that have been accepted, how long did it take between app complete to notification? I've been in review since 11/19.

lawgunner75

New

Post by lawgunner75 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:27 pm

Anybody know much about downtown St. Paul? I'm moving from New York so I don't think I can handle any suburbia just yet...need some brick buidlings and bus lines nearby.

RahmE

New

Post by RahmE » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:27 pm

I think most of us so far (if not all) were ED, so they had to tell us by Tuesday.

But for what it's worth, I went complete on 10/19 and got the call 11/30.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:34 pm

lawgunner75 wrote:Anybody know much about downtown St. Paul? I'm moving from New York so I don't think I can handle any suburbia just yet...need some brick buidlings and bus lines nearby.
St. Paul is the quieter sibling to Minneapolis. DT St. Paul pretty much dies after about 6 PM although the area around the Excel Center and St. Paul Hotel is nice.

I'm much more partial to MPLS. From what I understand the bus lines are great although I rarely take a bus. If i'm w/in bus distance I typically ride a bike. The Twin Cities are both great bike towns. If you're into bikes at all check out http://www.mplsbikeove.com or http://www.morcmtb.org

Being from NYC you certainly won't be blown away by the urban living in the Twin Cities but MPLS has a thriving art, music, theater, restaurant, and museum scene...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RahmE

New

Post by RahmE » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:38 pm

lawgunner75 wrote:Anybody know much about downtown St. Paul? I'm moving from New York so I don't think I can handle any suburbia just yet...need some brick buidlings and bus lines nearby.
I live about a mile from downtown St. Paul...it definitely has the bus line (a big hub is right in the heart of the high-rises, at Minnesota St. and 6th). It feels pretty desolate though, even for a law student...it has the reputation of being a sleepy place that closes at the end of business (the exceptions being the Excel Center when the Wild are in season, as well as some stuff on the edge of downtown...bars on 7th St., etc.) when all of the people who work there go home. You might want to check out Grand Ave or the surrounding blocks. It's near downtown (I live on the cheaper end of it though) and is lively without being incompatible with a student schedule. There are a lot of students in the area too, namely from Macalester and William Mitchell. The bus from my place to the U is about an hour.

These are just my opinions, of course. Other people have lived in Minnesota just as long as I have and might say the opposite.

lawgunner75

New

Post by lawgunner75 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:43 pm

Thanks for the advice everybody. I have lived in NYC for 9 years, but grew up in Iowa, so I'm pretty accustomed to Midwest living. Plus I have close family in the area so they will be around to help me get settled...

carrie

New

Post by carrie » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:27 pm

I currently live in Uptown---someone pointed out it is filled with hipsters (true) but I would say that hipsters aside, it's a really nice place to live, if far from campus. I'm two blocks from two lakes (trails all the way around), right on a bike path that takes you all the way to downtown or to campus, nears tons of cafes and restaurants, etc. But I just moved here from DC, so my perspective might be a bit off---I'm just so happy to be living somewhere where people are nice, everything is walkable, and the drinking and eating are cheap.

flowylime

New

Post by flowylime » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:37 pm

Agree with Uptown Minneapolis. You can find cheap apartments and take an express bus to the law school, and is definitely not suburban feeling. There are lots of bars and shopping. Grand/Summit in St. Paul is nice too, but not as convenient. I would also suggest Seward as it is a fifteen minute walk (or five minute bus ride) to the West Bank (where the law school is located) and is really inexpensive. These areas are as urban as it gets in the twin cities, and no one really lives in the downtown of either Minneapolis or Saint Paul. I've lived in Seward and Uptown and never needed to own a car, which is great because I hate scraping windows. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawgunner75

New

Post by lawgunner75 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:40 pm

Aaah thanks for the advice everybody! I do want something that will take me to the law school via bus. I'm writing all this down....so far Uptown Minneapolis and Seward are on my list of places to check out...

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:45 pm

lawgunner75 wrote:Aaah thanks for the advice everybody! I do want something that will take me to the law school via bus. I'm writing all this down....so far Uptown Minneapolis and Seward are on my list of places to check out...
You'll find a list of neighborhoods and a city-wide PDF with streets and neighborhoods here

There is no official Uptown but the neighborhoods that could be called the Uptown area would be East Isles, Lowry Hills East, CARAG, and ECCO.
Last edited by Slimpee on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flowylime

New

Post by flowylime » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:49 pm

Seward is honestly my favorite, although I bet some would find that weird. It is mildly sketch, but has the greatest coffee shop and pizza restaurant and organic food co-op in the city! Also very close to the light rail so you can hop downtown to see the Twins or Vikings or go shopping, or go south to the Mall of America/Airport.

/currently in DC, missing Minneapolis and Christmas snow.

lawgunner75

New

Post by lawgunner75 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:02 pm

Flowylime, does Seward have a bus line that will take me to the law school?
Slimpee - thanks for all the info! I will be so bummed if you are not a part of our class next year!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flowylime

New

Post by flowylime » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:10 pm

You betcha. :) The #2 runs through Seward then to the law school and rest of campus.
Last edited by flowylime on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:25 am

I actually live on the edge of uptown and downtown, in what is known as the "lake of the isles" neighborhood. Small studio apartment. The neighborhood is awesome, and right in the heart of everything if you like city living.

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:35 am

I just requested to join the FB group...there are only 2 members so far.

lawgunner75

New

Post by lawgunner75 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:35 am

I requested to join the Facebook group a few days ago. My request has not been approved yet. They are probably not doing much with it until they have more admitted students, but last year's group had over 200 members, so I expect it to be full of activity once it gets up and running.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawgunner75

New

Post by lawgunner75 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:12 pm

Has anybody gotten their package of materials yet? I have not.

carrie

New

Post by carrie » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:53 pm

lawgunner75 wrote:Has anybody gotten their package of materials yet? I have not.
I just got mine yesterday and I live in Minneapolis. I bet yours will show up today or tomorrow.

faceman9000

New

Post by faceman9000 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:04 pm

I got one also. It isnt much, just a letter of congratulations, a seat deposit form, and a financial aid estimate. I assume more info will be coming soon.

NJB09

New

Post by NJB09 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:07 am

Just received my letter today, I'm in the western suburbs. I'm looking into moving to Uptown as well...I just need to find gainful employment until the semester starts next year.

Did anyone else notice the typo in the letter?

RahmE: did you go to SCSU?

Slimpee: I couldn't help but notice your screen name...are you a member on MN-Jeep?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”