UCLA Law Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
weee

Bronze

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2013

Post by weee » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:44 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Who do I contact to negotiate financial aid?
Dean Schwartz says to contact him directly if you've received other offers.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:17 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Who do I contact to negotiate financial aid?
Karmen Hsu, but R. Schwartz also says to email him directly.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:34 am

Cornell is starting to really throw a wrench in my cycle, so I was wondering how long it has taken Dean Schwartz to reconsider financial aid offers? The time I spoke with his office he was super quick in responding, but this seems like a more complicated subject/process than what I spoke with them on before.

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:03 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Cornell is starting to really throw a wrench in my cycle, so I was wondering how long it has taken Dean Schwartz to reconsider financial aid offers? The time I spoke with his office he was super quick in responding, but this seems like a more complicated subject/process than what I spoke with them on before.
When I contacted him about negotiating, he responded that day saying he'd forwarded my email to Karmen Hsu, and then Hsu got back to me a few days later. Granted, it may have been faster for me because the answer was "LOL NO" but at least it didn't take weeks.

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:50 pm

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abceasy

New

Post by abceasy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:38 pm

Sent in my deposit. Anyone know anything about a roommate finder or something like that?

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:56 pm

abceasy wrote:Sent in my deposit. Anyone know anything about a roommate finder or something like that?
The housing info is all in the admitted students area after you login. Not sure if this link will work, but once you login this has some housing links, including a roommate finder: http://www.law.ucla.edu/home/index.asp?page=1000

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:59 pm

So I just submitted my SIR. It is official! Hello classmates :shock:

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:19 pm

i was DENIED guaranteed housing, haha. it's not a big deal; even if i cant get weyburn i could live with my UCLA UG friend who has an off-campus apartment. however, i think the lesson learned is that if one is accepted early decision to a law school, you sacrifice other bargaining chips besides haggling for financial aid :?

ah well. westwood in just a few months!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:41 am

Slansky wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:Cornell is starting to really throw a wrench in my cycle, so I was wondering how long it has taken Dean Schwartz to reconsider financial aid offers? The time I spoke with his office he was super quick in responding, but this seems like a more complicated subject/process than what I spoke with them on before.
When I contacted him about negotiating, he responded that day saying he'd forwarded my email to Karmen Hsu, and then Hsu got back to me a few days later. Granted, it may have been faster for me because the answer was "LOL NO" but at least it didn't take weeks.
He answered me within hours, and then within about a week they upped my Simon scholarship offer by an additional $10,000 a year (to 28.5k total per year) Just be vigilant, they are really nice and responsive.

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:12 am

def2104 wrote:
Slansky wrote:
He answered me within hours, and then within about a week they upped my Simon scholarship offer by an additional $10,000 a year (to 28.5k total per year) Just be vigilant, they are really nice and responsive.
I think it's probably easier to get them to upgrade a scholarship than to offer a whole new one. I've heard all kinds of success stories about how one email got them to double/triple a scholarship, but I haven't heard much about people who had nothing getting something. Meh, I think I will still try again but I already used all my bargaining chips. :|

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:19 am

Ah Schwartz is such a nice guy, courtesy responded to my email within minutes. I am pulling for him to get some enough money to go; as the combination of him, the city, and the school would make me happy for the next 3 years.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:32 pm

Slansky wrote:I think it's probably easier to get them to upgrade a scholarship than to offer a whole new one. I've heard all kinds of success stories about how one email got them to double/triple a scholarship, but I haven't heard much about people who had nothing getting something. Meh, I think I will still try again but I already used all my bargaining chips. :|
I started with none and brought up another offer (from a T10) and got something not equal to zero offered.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:49 pm

weee wrote:
Slansky wrote:I think it's probably easier to get them to upgrade a scholarship than to offer a whole new one. I've heard all kinds of success stories about how one email got them to double/triple a scholarship, but I haven't heard much about people who had nothing getting something. Meh, I think I will still try again but I already used all my bargaining chips. :|
I started with none and brought up another offer (from a T10) and got something not equal to zero offered.
I also mentioned my T10 offers :( I guess it's just me! :oops:

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:50 pm

Slansky wrote:
weee wrote:
Wait, you had $75k at Virginia and UCLA wouldn't give you any scholarship money? And you still picked UCLA? :shock:

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:11 am

Jericwithers wrote:
Slansky wrote:
weee wrote:
Wait, you had $75k at Virginia and UCLA wouldn't give you any scholarship money? And you still picked UCLA? :shock:
yep. I am a financial masochist

thankstazotea

New

Post by thankstazotea » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:16 am

Anyone know when we get Weyburn housing assignments? I'm on the guaranteed list, but don't know anything for sure yet. Has anyone heard?

Also, today's beautiful weather in NYC has me so excited for consistently wonderful weather!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:19 am

thankstazotea wrote:Anyone know when we get Weyburn housing assignments? I'm on the guaranteed list, but don't know anything for sure yet. Has anyone heard?

Also, today's beautiful weather in NYC has me so excited for consistently wonderful weather!
Between may 11 and august 15 depending on your move in request date. I asked admissions already...

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:25 pm

thankstazotea wrote:Anyone know when we get Weyburn housing assignments? I'm on the guaranteed list, but don't know anything for sure yet. Has anyone heard?

Just be sure to submit that housing form thing by May 6 to keep your spot. I'm kind of unsure of what to put in the "when do you need your apartment" field. Guess I will have to do some mental math lol.

The weather is beautiful here in SoCal today too :) but that is not so unusual. :D

thankstazotea

New

Post by thankstazotea » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:28 pm

I just did August 1st to keep things simple. However, I'm coming from the East Coast so I'm giving myself some time to get settled in. Are you planning on keeping a car on campus if you end up in Weyburn?

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:19 pm

thankstazotea wrote:I just did August 1st to keep things simple. However, I'm coming from the East Coast so I'm giving myself some time to get settled in. Are you planning on keeping a car on campus if you end up in Weyburn?
Yes, I have a car I'll be bringing. If you have a Weyburn parking permit, apparently you can't also get an on-campus parking permit, but that's ok--it's close enough that I'll walk or take the shuttle. But I want the car for going elsewhere off-campus and for driving down to SD occasionally.

PS: UCLA people bitch about the walk from Weyburn to the law school, but they're used to such an itty bitty campus. I went to UCSD. y'all Tritons know what I'm talking about.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:25 pm

Slansky wrote:
thankstazotea wrote:I just did August 1st to keep things simple. However, I'm coming from the East Coast so I'm giving myself some time to get settled in. Are you planning on keeping a car on campus if you end up in Weyburn?
Yes, I have a car I'll be bringing. If you have a Weyburn parking permit, apparently you can't also get an on-campus parking permit, but that's ok--it's close enough that I'll walk or take the shuttle. But I want the car for going elsewhere off-campus and for driving down to SD occasionally.

PS: UCLA people bitch about the walk from Weyburn to the law school, but they're used to such an itty bitty campus. I went to UCSD. y'all Tritons know what I'm talking about.
Isn't it like 3 miles from Weyburn?

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:33 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Slansky wrote:

Isn't it like 3 miles from Weyburn?
It might be slightly more than a mile from weyburn to the law school. Not more than 1.5 mi.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:40 pm

tallboone wrote: It might be slightly more than a mile from weyburn to the law school. Not more than 1.5 mi.
pretty good guesstimate. I used mapmyrun.com and it came up as around 1.18 miles.

SaraLA

New

Post by SaraLA » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:58 pm

Is anyone thinking about applying for the 8-day summer program?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”