Harvard Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
gtang_hls13

New

Re: Harvard Class of 2013

Post by gtang_hls13 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:00 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
gtang_hls13 wrote:what adds further to the frustration is that some of the books carry a "will ship in 1-2 months" estimate on Amazon :-/
lolreally? man i didnt see that when i checked a week ago, i plan on ordering books in a few days, since i got that whole amazon prime dealy
hmm nvm i guess these estimates change daily... that's what it said for the casebooks for property and legislation & regulation when i checked two days ago, now they say 1-3 weeks

argh i had some amazon used books wishlisted which had prime shipping available, now they're gone! dang it i was gonna hold off on ordering them so that they won't just be chilling in the lobby until i get there... one of you did this!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:14 pm

gtang_hls13 wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
gtang_hls13 wrote:what adds further to the frustration is that some of the books carry a "will ship in 1-2 months" estimate on Amazon :-/
lolreally? man i didnt see that when i checked a week ago, i plan on ordering books in a few days, since i got that whole amazon prime dealy
hmm nvm i guess these estimates change daily... that's what it said for the casebooks for property and legislation & regulation when i checked two days ago, now they say 1-3 weeks

argh i had some amazon used books wishlisted which had prime shipping available, now they're gone! dang it i was gonna hold off on ordering them so that they won't just be chilling in the lobby until i get there... one of you did this!
lol same here, thats my prob

if i order it now, id have to take it w/ me in my move to boston (all the books = more checked in luggage = more $)...if i order it once i get to boston, i may not have enough time! haha damn what a conundrum, esp. since im leaving in a few days...guess ill order it like thurs or something

brownbears

New

Post by brownbears » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:48 pm

Anyone want to buy a copy of Strauss, Rakoff & Farina – Administrative Law – 9781587785948?

Great shape, highlighting on the inside- $100. Can pick it up from my room when you get to campus or I can drop it off. PM me if interested.

go4hls

New

Post by go4hls » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Lysis wrote:
go4hls wrote:Okay, so I just added all the books for my section (#3) and the total for all the books at the coop came out to $1100 w/ recommended books and like $950 with required-only. The annual financial aid budget for books and supplies for 2010-2011 is just $1150.

Am I doing something wrong? Are these books supposed to be this expensive???

Anyone else seriously annoyed by this?
Same section. The Coop sells some of these books for $40-50 more than the best internet price. I ordered them all today (hoping I can get them in time to do our first readings...) and came in at ~$700 for the required books. Presumably, the Spring may be a tad cheaper depending on electives. $1150 is still ludicrously low for the year though...if you're really having difficulty purchasing supplies there might be a way for SFS to increase your award if you give them documentation that shows how expensive the books really are (just speculating).

EDIT: Should have noted, I bought all the books new. You could save a huge amount more if you're willing to go with used or rented books.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna try my luck with Amazon and buy a few used, and see how much I can shave off that $1100.

BlueCivic

Bronze

Post by BlueCivic » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:08 pm

Yeah the co-op is a bit of a rip off, honestly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justbluemyself

New

Post by justbluemyself » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:23 am

FWIW, I just had pretty good luck with Barnes and Noble. Some books that were out of stock or unavailable on Amazon were in stock, and I got the yearly membership which qualifies me for free express shipping.

gtang_hls13

New

Post by gtang_hls13 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:06 am

justbluemyself wrote:FWIW, I just had pretty good luck with Barnes and Noble. Some books that were out of stock or unavailable on Amazon were in stock, and I got the yearly membership which qualifies me for free express shipping.
argh b&n completely slipped my mind >_< i could've saved an extra $50 on the Property casebook! *bangs head*

nattybro

Bronze

Post by nattybro » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:59 am

Tagging this thread. Looking forward to meeting you all next week.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:05 pm

justbluemyself wrote:FWIW, I just had pretty good luck with Barnes and Noble. Some books that were out of stock or unavailable on Amazon were in stock, and I got the yearly membership which qualifies me for free express shipping.
lol at first i was worried about getting something from b&n, seeing as how it took FOREVER for the last NJ shipment to reach me down here in TX...

...but it just clicked that ill be in MA haha, oh that'll take some getting used to

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gilagarta

Bronze

Post by gilagarta » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:35 pm

Have you all decided what to wear to orientation yet? It seems like everything we're doing is really casual (tours, field activities, etc.) except for the group picture. Do you all think jeans are too casual? How about black or khaki capris for girls?

novacuseville

New

Post by novacuseville » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:40 pm

Does anyone know when we pick the options for our 1L reading groups? Did I miss that? We do start this fall right?

gtang_hls13

New

Post by gtang_hls13 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:18 pm

gilagarta wrote:Have you all decided what to wear to orientation yet? It seems like everything we're doing is really casual (tours, field activities, etc.) except for the group picture. Do you all think jeans are too casual? How about black or khaki capris for girls?
hmm an entire day walking around in jeans makes for very unpleasantly sticky denim given the summer weather in Cambridge; I was hoping shorts would be okay :-/

PoorOrpheus

Bronze

Post by PoorOrpheus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:25 pm

gtang_hls13 wrote:
gilagarta wrote:Have you all decided what to wear to orientation yet? It seems like everything we're doing is really casual (tours, field activities, etc.) except for the group picture. Do you all think jeans are too casual? How about black or khaki capris for girls?
hmm an entire day walking around in jeans makes for very unpleasantly sticky denim given the summer weather in Cambridge; I was hoping shorts would be okay :-/
I saw my friend's section photo from last year and most guys were wearing jeans with a button-down or simple tee (both long- and short-sleeved), and the girls wore a mix of jeans and skirts with button-downs, blouses, or cardigans.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:52 pm

gtang_hls13 wrote:
You clearly are not from Texas -- mid-80s in August seems like nothing short of divine intervention :D

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:56 pm

vespertiliovir wrote:You clearly are not from Texas -- mid-80s in August seems like nothing short of divine intervention :D
I am from Texas, because this is exactly what I keep thinking about the current weather.

gtang_hls13

New

Post by gtang_hls13 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:59 pm

vespertiliovir wrote:
gtang_hls13 wrote:
You clearly are not from Texas -- mid-80s in August seems like nothing short of divine intervention :D
well you're right i'm not from tx but i did spend a summer working in Austin and the humidity in Cambridge definitely makes me sweat a lot more - kinda like that one day i checked out San Antonio that same summer

gilagarta

Bronze

Post by gilagarta » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:07 am

gtang_hls13 wrote: I saw my friend's section photo from last year and most guys were wearing jeans with a button-down or simple tee (both long- and short-sleeved), and the girls wore a mix of jeans and skirts with button-downs, blouses, or cardigans.
Thanks so much!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

justbluemyself

New

Post by justbluemyself » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:35 am

For those of you who like updating your Google Calendar as much as I do, fall fitness classes at Hemenway are up: http://recreation.gocrimson.com/fitness/schedules

I went to a D3 undergrad, so I am more than ready to reap the benefits of Harvard's D1 facilities.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:00 am

justbluemyself wrote:For those of you who like updating your Google Calendar as much as I do, fall fitness classes at Hemenway are up: http://recreation.gocrimson.com/fitness/schedules

I went to a D3 undergrad, so I am more than ready to reap the benefits of Harvard's D1 facilities.
Excellent find! I'm more motivated to work out if I'm part of a group within a structured class. I just wish they had kickboxing...

justbluemyself

New

Post by justbluemyself » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:19 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
justbluemyself wrote:For those of you who like updating your Google Calendar as much as I do, fall fitness classes at Hemenway are up: http://recreation.gocrimson.com/fitness/schedules

Excellent find! I'm more motivated to work out if I'm part of a group within a structured class. I just wish they had kickboxing...
"Cardio Kicks" looks pretty similar... :)

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:21 am

Stupid question but are our section meetings every week? Or just to begin the semester?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:03 pm

justbluemyself wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:

"Cardio Kicks" looks pretty similar... :)
<3

True...The great thing about kickboxing is that it works out your legs, core, and arms. I love to constantly tone my arms...I dk if "Cardio Kicks" would do that, lol...

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:00 pm

PoorOrpheus wrote:
gtang_hls13 wrote:
I saw my friend's section photo from last year and most guys were wearing jeans with a button-down or simple tee (both long- and short-sleeved), and the girls wore a mix of jeans and skirts with button-downs, blouses, or cardigans.
this stinks. I have no desire to wear anything other than t-shirt/shorts until December

mightyaphrodite

New

Post by mightyaphrodite » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:40 pm

For those in Section 3 who have Warren for Contracts, save some of your money and don't bother buying Gilmore's Death of Contract or the Barnett supplement new. Not really worth it. They are supplemental (and we read Gilmore's book only in the last week of the class). I tend to prefer new books for casebooks, but used for these two would be perfectly fine.

Ditto for those in Section 2 who have Greiner for Civ Pro. Getting a new copy of Power of Procedure is probably a waste. Definitely get it used.

ETA: I beg of you, please do not dress up for any of the orientation events. The only thing that you may want to dress up a bit more for is the section dinner, but otherwise, go casual. Capris, khakis, shorts, or jeans are all fine.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:51 pm

A few of us class of '12ers are going out tonight if any of you 13ers want in...theres gonna be at least one 13er there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”