Harvard Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
kmap

New

Re: Harvard Class of 2013

Post by kmap » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:02 pm

PoorOrpheus wrote:
kmap wrote:On a less fun note, has anybody been able to access course isites? Section 4 just got their first CivPro assignment and when I try to login it says access to that course's site has been restricted and I can't view it. Is there a trick to this that I just haven't discovered yet?

Hating HLS email / MyPlan, btw. :evil:
There was an e-mail sent out this morning saying: "HLS will be conducting emergency maintenance on the Student Information System today, August 24th, beginning immediately. Access to MyPlan will be restricted."
I should have mentioned that I got this email, but I've still been unable to access isites on days when they weren't doing MyPlan maintenance. Oh well, I guess I'll wait and see if it gets fixed in the next couple days.

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:55 pm

Just got into Cambridge an hour ago.

*shuffles awkwardly*

Is the weather always this crap?

knola002

Bronze

Post by knola002 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:18 am

creatinganalt wrote:Just got into Cambridge an hour ago.

*shuffles awkwardly*

It was an unbearable 104 degrees in San Jose today. I am kind of looking forward to rain and fog when I get to Cambridge in the morning. Perverse, right?

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:53 am

knola002 wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:Just got into Cambridge an hour ago.

*shuffles awkwardly*

It was an unbearable 104 degrees in San Jose today. I am kind of looking forward to rain and fog when I get to Cambridge in the morning. Perverse, right?
That won't last.

The Dan

Bronze

Post by The Dan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:55 am

Boston isn't really known for its nice weather, but no, it isn't always so bad. The rain was much needed, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:33 pm

so to those who didn't make the meet up last night, you guys missed out!

So you don't feel too left out, I'll give you a rundown of what happened:

We had a total of 6 HLS 1L's and 3 SO's. The TLS names that were there are:

Myself
JustBlueMyself
Jasper
TheDan
GeePee

And the last person, I didn't catch his TLS name. He might have been a spy from the Yale thread...

Anyways, I thought every person seemed genuinely nice (I'm not sure about myself though. I hope I at least seemed like I was trying to be nice :) ). If these people are any indication of what the general population at HLS is like, I think we are in for a fantastic 3 years and a chance to build some lifelong friendships.

To those who missed out, you are already way behind when it comes to a social life at HLS, but I think if you work hard you should be able to catch up :P .

I look forward to meeting the other 554 of you on Friday.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:40 pm

lol man i really wanted to make it out last night but couldnt :(

for friday, anyone know if any uh notetaking will be required? or just show up?

timbuk

New

Post by timbuk » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Damn, sorry I missed that too. Last minute obligations and the like, you know...

As for Friday, it looks like it's going to be pretty low key. I hope not to have to bring my laptop at least...

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:50 pm

timbuk wrote:Damn, sorry I missed that too. Last minute obligations and the like, you know...

As for Friday, it looks like it's going to be pretty low key. I hope not to have to bring my laptop at least...
actually timbuk, we might have to bring some materials -- looking through my emails, we got orientation materials for the section meetings on friday and monday; it's the 3 pages on 2 separate cases

not sure what they exactly mean by 'prepare' the material lol, but sounds like it's some class discussion

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timbuk

New

Post by timbuk » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:58 pm

Hmm, I thought that was for Monday - guess I better check again...

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:02 pm

timbuk wrote:Hmm, I thought that was for Monday - guess I better check again...
yeah me too; the email's wording, however, suggests it is for both days

edit: bah, but the wording in Manning's email suggests otherwise haha -- school bureaucracies!

mightyaphrodite

New

Post by mightyaphrodite » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:58 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:Do you guys think that the Administrative Law Examples and Explanations would work for the Legislation and Regulation course? In other words (if anybody knows the answer to this question), are they essentially the same thing? I dont want to buy the E&E if its not going to help out
Yes, you can use the Admin E&E for Leg Reg.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:42 pm

adameus wrote:so to those who didn't make the meet up last night, you guys missed out!

So you don't feel too left out, I'll give you a rundown of what happened:

We had a total of 6 HLS 1L's and 3 SO's. The TLS names that were there are:

Myself
JustBlueMyself
Jasper
TheDan
GeePee

And the last person, I didn't catch his TLS name. He might have been a spy from the Yale thread...

Anyways, I thought every person seemed genuinely nice (I'm not sure about myself though. I hope I at least seemed like I was trying to be nice :) ). If these people are any indication of what the general population at HLS is like, I think we are in for a fantastic 3 years and a chance to build some lifelong friendships.

To those who missed out, you are already way behind when it comes to a social life at HLS, but I think if you work hard you should be able to catch up :P .

I look forward to meeting the other 554 of you on Friday.
Second this. Everyone was really personable; I had a great time.

On the other hand I am not looking forward to the excessive amount of Civ Pro reading that I'm about to tackle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

timbuk

New

Post by timbuk » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:43 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
timbuk wrote:Hmm, I thought that was for Monday - guess I better check again...
yeah me too; the email's wording, however, suggests it is for both days

edit: bah, but the wording in Manning's email suggests otherwise haha -- school bureaucracies!
Ha, you're right. First e-mail implies Monday, second implies Friday. Fortunately it's just three pages.

gtang_hls13

New

Post by gtang_hls13 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:03 am

Just got in! ;)

Anyone in 29 Garden St?

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:29 pm

adameus wrote:Ok, I say lets hit the Cambridge Common. I like that its a bit out of the square but still easily walkable. And since its not in the square I think its more likely that we can get a table.

It is at:
1667 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA

My name is Adam, my cell # is 617 233 8797. I will be there at 8:00 with my wife ( I am 27 and she is 26, sometimes I think when I say that I am married it makes it seem like I am 40 :) ) I will attempt to get a table for 10 under the name Adam. If for whatever reason, the place is full we will wander somewhere else so shoot me a text or a phone call and I can let you know where we went.
Any and all are welcome.

I will see you guys tonight!
I was the Cambridge Commons last night (got in Tuesday but was without internet for a day) and was trying to find some Canadians, but there was only one other person in the entire place full of 50 or 1Ls. So far I only know of 3 Canadians in the entire 1L class. Found absolutely NO section 2'ers out of the 30 or so people I talked to last night.

I did meet up with 1 or 2 fellow TLSers though. Good times! Anyone else heading to the HLC party after orientation on Friday night? I figure that if we're going to party, it might as well be before law school drowns us in readings, right? :lol:

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:00 pm

sayan wrote:
adameus wrote:Ok, I say lets hit the Cambridge Common. I like that its a bit out of the square but still easily walkable. And since its not in the square I think its more likely that we can get a table.

It is at:
Cambridge, MA

My name is Adam, my cell # is 617 233 8797. I will be there at 8:00 with my wife ( I am 27 and she is 26, sometimes I think when I say that I am married it makes it seem like I am 40 :) ) I will attempt to get a table for 10 under the name Adam. If for whatever reason, the place is full we will wander somewhere else so shoot me a text or a phone call and I can let you know where we went.
Any and all are welcome.

I was the Cambridge Commons last night (got in Tuesday but was without internet for a day) and was trying to find some Canadians, but there was only one other person in the entire place full of 50 or 1Ls. So far I only know of 3 Canadians in the entire 1L class. Found absolutely NO section 2'ers out of the 30 or so people I talked to last night.

I did meet up with 1 or 2 fellow TLSers though. Good times! Anyone else heading to the HLC party after orientation on Friday night? I figure that if we're going to party, it might as well be before law school drowns us in readings, right? :lol:
We had 3 section 2ers there on Tuesday myself included. Was there an event last night?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

naett

New

Post by naett » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:39 pm

Ach - also sorry I missed the night out. Oh well. Tomorrow should be an adventure, though! And in a throwback to the weather discussion, looks like it will be gorgeous/hot for the next several days...

ACrimsonLife

New

Post by ACrimsonLife » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:49 pm

Just moved in--- I wish I could have gone to one of the meetups. Guess I'll have to meet you all some other time.

Is there a consensus on whether or not we should bring any materials to orientation friday and monday (section 1)? It wouldn't be hard to bring my laptop, I just don't want to be the only one haha.

Also, what are you all going to wear tomorrow? It looks like it's going to pretty hot, so I'm hoping a polo and shorts won't make me underdressed.
Last edited by ACrimsonLife on Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACrimsonLife

New

Post by ACrimsonLife » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:10 pm

also, has anyone had any trouble getting a landline phone to work in their room? I can't seem to get mine to work

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:22 pm

ACrimsonLife wrote:Just moved in--- I wish I could have gone to one of the meetups. Guess I'll have to meet you all some other time.

Is there a consensus on whether or not we should bring any materials to orientation friday and monday (section 1)? It wouldn't be hard to bring my laptop, I just don't want to be the only one haha.

Also, what are you all going to wear tomorrow? It looks like it's going to pretty hot, so I'm hoping a polo and shorts won't make me underdressed.
a consensus has been reached on clothing; polo + shorts are fine (unless you're in the section where there's a dinner at the prof's house on one of the later days? then semi-casual for that dinner)

for section 1, what materials to bring friday and monday...i think it is safe to say monday we WILL be discussing the 3 pages of reading lol, so bring your backpack or laptop or whatnot then...friday, no idea :S tbh, im still waiting on a definite answer to this question as well

ill prob just end up printing the few pages and pocketing it, along w/ a pencil/pen -- dont feel like carrying a backpack around on friday orientation lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ACrimsonLife

New

Post by ACrimsonLife » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:25 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
ACrimsonLife wrote:Just moved in--- I wish I could have gone to one of the meetups. Guess I'll have to meet you all some other time.

a consensus has been reached on clothing; polo + shorts are fine (unless you're in the section where there's a dinner at the prof's house on one of the later days? then semi-casual for that dinner)

for section 1, what materials to bring friday and monday...i think it is safe to say monday we WILL be discussing the 3 pages of reading lol, so bring your backpack or laptop or whatnot then...friday, no idea :S tbh, im still waiting on a definite answer to this question as well

ill prob just end up printing the few pages and pocketing it, along w/ a pencil/pen -- dont feel like carrying a backpack around on friday orientation lol
thanks for the post! look forward to meeting you tomorrow

smittytron3k

Bronze

Post by smittytron3k » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:51 pm

looking forward to meeting section 1 people tomorrow. i'm pretty easy to spot--i'm about 6'7" and will be wearing a blue striped shirt. say hi if you see me!

ACrimsonLife

New

Post by ACrimsonLife » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:59 pm

smittytron3k wrote:looking forward to meeting section 1 people tomorrow. i'm pretty easy to spot--i'm about 6'7" and will be wearing a blue striped shirt. say hi if you see me!
--ImageRemoved--
Quick, everyone put on a striped shirt! see you tomorrow..

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:29 pm

adameus wrote:
sayan wrote:

It is at:
Cambridge, MA

Any and all are welcome.

We had 3 section 2ers there on Tuesday myself included. Was there an event last night?
Not an official event -- just an impromptu gathering.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”