Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013) Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
danidancer

Silver

Re: Serving Time in Ithaca (Cornell 2013)

Post by danidancer » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Schatzy185 wrote:Looks like the assignment issue of Scoops is up!

--LinkRemoved--

-Enjoy!
Also, not sure when it was posted, but locker assignments are up!

spaacecdt

New

Post by spaacecdt » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:42 pm

fkaKingsCollege wrote:
yanks008 wrote:
fkaKingsCollege wrote:
calicocat wrote:Can I move into Hughes at any time tomorrow?

I won't be in ithaca till like 7 or 8
You can move in starting 9am tomorrow. I got the number of the GCA on-call in case they close up check-in. (I'm arriving around 7-8pm too.) I'll pm you the number.
Any idea where we go once we get there for our keys and such?
The Housing site says that undergrads check-in at the service center for their dorm. I assume this is the same for us. There's a service center in Hughes.
Drove by Hughes today and there was a sign that read something like "Law Student Move-In" with an arrow. I'm sure there will be lots of signage tomorrow directing our lost, nervous selves. Or at least my lost, nervous self.

EDIT: Also, just logged into Blackboard and there was an announcement from Summers (just in case someone hasn't logged in for a while):
Tue, Aug 17, 2010 -- Class attendance

You are hereby notified that attendance will be taken at the beginning of each class session after the first week. If you miss two or more of our class sessions, you will not be permitted to take the examination, and a grade of "F" will be entered in the course.

I will, of course, recognize a reasonable excuse, but it must be presented in writing and signed by you.

Robert S. Summers.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:37 am

You are hereby notified that attendance will be taken at the beginning of each class session after the first week. If you miss two or more of our class sessions, you will not be permitted to take the examination, and a grade of "F" will be entered in the course.

I will, of course, recognize a reasonable excuse, but it must be presented in writing and signed by you.

Robert S. Summers.
That's new this year. I think last year he was pretty annoyed that our class was missing a lot of people frequently (swine flu and whatnot, also probably didn't help that it was our earliest class). He would sometimes mark people down as absent, but he never seemed to be really keeping track, and he never gave us a hard and fast rule.

That's pretty much the harshest attendance policy I've ever heard of.

EDIT: Although, despite Summers being pretty cantankerous, I think he will be pretty open-minded when it comes to "reasonable excuses."

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:39 am

spaacecdt wrote:

Robert S. Summers.
DAY-UM! The only classes I've ever had with a similarly strict policy were dance technique courses in undergrad, which were SOLELY graded on class participation.

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:06 am

danidancer wrote:
spaacecdt wrote:

Robert S. Summers.
DAY-UM! The only classes I've ever had with a similarly strict policy were dance technique courses in undergrad, which were SOLELY graded on class participation.
That sucks. But, he can make any class policies he wants. From Wikipedia: :
"Summers has served as official advisor both to the Drafting Commission for the Russian Civil Code and to the Drafting Commission for the Egyptian Civil Code. Professor Summers was recently named principal co-drafter of a new code of contract law for the African nation of Rwanda." etc., etc. very distinguished.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:14 am

Also, in Summers' class, don't try to sit in the very back on the first day unless you want to be coerced into sitting in an empty seat in the very front row for the rest of the semester or you can convincingly feign obliviousness when being hailed by Professor Summers.

If you do sit in the front row, plan on being called on about once a class.

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:46 am

jms116 wrote:In general, are the course textbooks available in the library? I have ordered all of my books for class offline, and all but one are scheduled to arrive in the next few days. However, one may not arrive until after class has already started and I was wondering if I could do the assigned reading in the library for the first few classes if necessary.
I'm reading the last few pages, but I don't see where anyone answered this.

Anyone?

como

Silver

Post by como » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:55 am

AdamatUCF wrote:
jms116 wrote:In general, are the course textbooks available in the library? I have ordered all of my books for class offline, and all but one are scheduled to arrive in the next few days. However, one may not arrive until after class has already started and I was wondering if I could do the assigned reading in the library for the first few classes if necessary.
I'm reading the last few pages, but I don't see where anyone answered this.

Anyone?
Yes, each casebook is available on reserve at the library. You go to the reserve desk in the reading room and ask for it. You show an id and get the book for like an hour. You can just go and renew it if you need it longer.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:34 pm

Here and unpacked in Hughes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:37 pm

Last edited by jks289 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:55 pm

Not so far. Hughes people have a floor meeting to attend at 8, after that I am thinking beer sounds good after a day of traveling.

yanks008

New

Post by yanks008 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:25 pm

CyLaw wrote:Not so far. Hughes people have a floor meeting to attend at 8, after that I am thinking beer sounds good after a day of traveling.
Not arriving until tomorrow. Hope nothing in the meeting is on the final.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:41 pm

yanks008 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:Not so far. Hughes people have a floor meeting to attend at 8, after that I am thinking beer sounds good after a day of traveling.
Not arriving until tomorrow. Hope nothing in the meeting is on the final.
Don't worry. Its just worth 10% of your dorm 101 class grade.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:08 pm

I'm in

night06

New

Post by night06 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:51 pm

For those of us moving in tomorrow, does anyone know what the check-in times are?

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:52 pm

So jealous, I won't be moving into Hughes until tomorrow afternoon.

Oberlion

New

Post by Oberlion » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:09 pm

Dear Cornell,

I am already tired of your cliquey undergrads. Some of us don't know anyone here and your walking eight abreast is, like, totally annoying. Not that I'm jealous or anything. No way.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AdamatUCF

Bronze

Post by AdamatUCF » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:34 pm

Oberlion wrote:Dear Cornell,

I am already tired of your cliquey undergrads. Some of us don't know anyone here and your walking eight abreast is, like, totally annoying. Not that I'm jealous or anything. No way.
Agreed!

By the way: I've met a few people here, and if you wanted to hang out with my roommate and I and the few acquaintances we've made, let me know. Via PM or something.

mec30

Bronze

Post by mec30 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:42 pm

You're a grad student now. The worldly concerns of the lessers (i.e. undergrads) are of no concern to us. Though to be honest, they seem more nervous and young than anything. Someone took a picture of me as I was walking into the law school, I lol'ed on the inside.

spaacecdt

New

Post by spaacecdt » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:07 pm

I rounded Hughes/Myron Taylor at least 2 times before finding the right lot to park in to move in. So, for those of you using GPS to move in tomorrow punch in "6 South Avenue, Ithaca, NY" and it'll put you right in front of the entrance of the move-in lot. Also, the check-in is on floor "1L". Hopefully this will save you some gas and confusion!

yanks008

New

Post by yanks008 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:10 pm

spaacecdt wrote:I rounded Hughes/Myron Taylor at least 2 times before finding the right lot to park in to move in. So, for those of you using GPS to move in tomorrow punch in "6 South Avenue, Ithaca, NY" and it'll put you right in front of the entrance of the move-in lot. Also, the check-in is on floor "1L". Hopefully this will save you some gas and confusion!
Very helpful- thanks! (note: this thanks assumes the address won't send me off a bridge.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

spaacecdt

New

Post by spaacecdt » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:15 pm

yanks008 wrote:
spaacecdt wrote:I rounded Hughes/Myron Taylor at least 2 times before finding the right lot to park in to move in. So, for those of you using GPS to move in tomorrow punch in "6 South Avenue, Ithaca, NY" and it'll put you right in front of the entrance of the move-in lot. Also, the check-in is on floor "1L". Hopefully this will save you some gas and confusion!
Very helpful- thanks! (note: this thanks assumes the address won't send me off a bridge.)
Haha, I really hope you don't go off a bridge (into a gorge) because that would be awful and I'd feel really awful. It worked on my GPS... I hope it works for you. :)

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:32 pm

Oberlion wrote:Dear Cornell,

It won't be long before you all know people... I wasn't anywhere near campus having coffee with a classmate this morning, and within fifteen minutes we ran across two more of our classmates. One of the benefits of a small class such as Cornell's is that you really do get to know a good chunk of your class fairly well (if you want to, that is...)

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:14 am

It's after midnight. Law school "officially starts" TOMORROW. W.T.F.

Guest080

New

Post by Guest080 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:40 am

Question: Is the library open?

Just checking before I walk over in the rain.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”