Duke Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Jericwithers

Gold

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:44 pm

So are any of yall looking at dual degrees?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:52 pm

Yeah fratty bars preferred, not required though. What do you think you are going to do for housing, IT20? I hope we can get a lot of people in a particular complex.

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:44 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Yeah fratty bars preferred, not required though. What do you think you are going to do for housing, IT20? I hope we can get a lot of people in a particular complex.
Yeah the more fratty bars are in Chapel Hill, just because it's more of a true college town. We didn't go to any of them when we were visiting, but that's the consensus from the students on this board. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I think that tons of 1L's usually live in Addington/Alexan Farms which is really nice. They had a huge "business center" that the rep told us was a common place for Law students to hang out and study. It's around the same price per person for a 2BR as the Lofts at West Village, but it's probably the nicest complex you can get into.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:58 pm

Alright, I'll look into those tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm going to the 'fratty bars' here to celebrate.

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:03 pm

For all of you Texans, what do y'all like about Dallas? I've been there several times/have some family there and I just don't like it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:07 pm

insidethetwenty wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:Yeah fratty bars preferred, not required though. What do you think you are going to do for housing, IT20? I hope we can get a lot of people in a particular complex.
Yeah the more fratty bars are in Chapel Hill, just because it's more of a true college town. We didn't go to any of them when we were visiting, but that's the consensus from the students on this board. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I think that tons of 1L's usually live in Addington/Alexan Farms which is really nice. They had a huge "business center" that the rep told us was a common place for Law students to hang out and study. It's around the same price per person for a 2BR as the Lofts at West Village, but it's probably the nicest complex you can get into.
Addington Farms sound like a nice place to get a 2 bedroom, but I would totally need a roommate who could drive to campus in the event of snow. Odds are I will probably wreck my car doing that the first time.

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:42 pm

insidethetwenty wrote:For all of you Texans, what do y'all like about Dallas? I've been there several times/have some family there and I just don't like it.
Hmm thats a loaded question but I'll take it. I've lived in Texas the majority of my life, but have lived in other cities in the Northeast and California so I'm at least well traveled in terms of the United States. Dallas-Fort Worth is a pretty unique place, and I think has a bit of an acquired taste, and compared to other big cities its awfully spread out and comprised of a lot of suburbs. In fact, almost everyone claims to live in Dallas but lives in one of the endless numbers of surrounding areas like Richardson, Garland, Plano, Mesquite, Rockwall etc. I think that aspect can turn a lot of people off because it means that the downtown/city life isn't as active or populated as say L.A. or NYC. But, Dallas has a lot of charm. Theres a lot of kitschy kind of run down parts of Dallas nightlife that used to be really active and are now defunct like Deep Ellum where you'll find a lot of dive bars, and there are very high society kind of clubs and bars to go to as well like Ghostbar or the W. But thats stuff you can find in any city.

I think Dallas has a lot of hidden, tucked away culture. For instance, Dallas has a huge theater community thanks to people like Margo Jones etc. Like any city, there are good museums, theater houses, shopping and restaurants, but not so many that you're overwhelmed by the variety like in NYC. I mean, in NYC you could spend your entire life there and not experience everything the city has to offer. Dallas has nowhere near as much as NYC, but I don't consider it to be that much of a negative. As an example, in Dallas there are very few independent film art houses or theaters where local moviemakers can display their work, and because of the limited selection its very easy to become integrated and engrossed in the entire Dallas community of independent moviemaking. I like this aspect of Dallas, because it may only have 5 or so really good museums, but by going to them you can really get involved with all of the people who have similar interests. When I was in NYC, I felt pretty overwhelmed all the time because of all the selection, but going out and doing things in Dallas has a kind of "homey" feel for me. I suppose that more people would probably prefer NYC based on this description, but I enjoy seeing a lot of the same people when I go out to the places I frequent. You can become pretty intimately acquainted with strangers in Dallas.

In Texas, Dallas and Austin are pretty much opposites. I don't really like Austin at all, but I see the appeal. Dallas' atmosphere is a bit more high minded, snooty, and arrogant in comparison. I think the DFW area tries really hard to pretend its like a northeastern city even though its not like one at all, but I like that about it. I think Dallas has infinitely better culture in terms of art and fashion, but one area where Austin indisputably wins is food. Which isn't to say Dallas doesn't have good restaurants, but Austin has probably the best food in the state. Because Dallas tries so hard to be a northeastern city, you'll find that a large percentage of the people who live there care a lot about the way they look and dress, and can be pretty judgmental about it. A lot of people dislike the superficiality, but I don't mind it, I'm guilty of it too so I can't really be too critical. Of course, there are a lot of people in Dallas who couldn't care less, but I think the general atmosphere is a lot more haughty than Austin. I'm just trying to relay the stereotypes.

Anyways, I know this is tl;dr for most people but I love Dallas a lot. I hated it at first, but I think its somewhere that really grows on you. I find Austin too laid back, and NYC too hectic, and Dallas is a good medium.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:54 am

I grew up in a Dallas suburb. I think it's a perfect place to raise a family (parents are active in PTA, sports leagues, Cowboys/Rangers/Six Flags blah blah), but boring in terms of being young and single. Nowhere near walkable or public transportation friendly, but i like to drive

About how snooty is Duke? The stereotype I think of is stuck-up private school folks.

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:40 am

DallasCowboy wrote:
About how snooty is Duke? The stereotype I think of is stuck-up private school folks.
I'm sure the law school will be representative of the population at large i.e. some stuck up private school kids, some down to earth folks etc. I'm betting the undergrads are a lot like what you're describing though

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:11 am

I figure we are going to have to get used to lawyer types anyway.

Plus Chapel Hill and its southern belles are a stone's throw away.

johndh

New

Post by johndh » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:57 am

b
Last edited by johndh on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:49 am

That's a solid answer, alt. Maybe I'm just in that "hated it at first" phase. I've been there 6-7 times, but only for sporting events (Cotton Bowls, Cowboys, Rangers). I've just never had a great taste in my mouth about the place.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive. I was just talking about my personal feeling, not trying to say that Dallas is, objectively, not a good place or anything.

Also, I don't know if the "snooty at Duke" thing was pointed at me, but I'm just as much an "outsider" there as everyone else. Someone I know from a high school in the next town over from where I grew up went there for UG and her professors acted and spoke to her as though it was amazing she was there/wearing shoes. That said, the Law school is supposedly completely different from the UG in terms of the type of people that attend and teach there.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:42 pm

No, definitely not offended at you not liking Dallas lol I was just commenting on the stereotype I hear around here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:51 pm

Addington Farms 3BR 3.5 Bath townhouse: $1350 - $1555
2BR $955 - $1090

I would be down for the townhouse too. The floorplan looks pretty nice for 3BR.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:02 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Addington Farms 3BR 3.5 Bath townhouse: $1350 - $1555
2BR $955 - $1090

I would be down for the townhouse too. The floorplan looks pretty nice for 3BR.
Those do look awesome. However, the 3 bed townhouse looks wierd with one bedroom on the 1st floor and the rest on the 3rd. I would feel like some kind of recluse living down there lol.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:05 pm

Maybe let that person pay a little less a month? I hate how they make bedrooms different sizes at all these places.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:07 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Maybe let that person pay a little less a month? I hate how they make bedrooms different sizes at all these places.
Ya that seems like the kind of source of conflict that makes me tend toward one bedrooms. However, if you let me rent the basement room for $400 I'll be there and happy lol.

EDIT: Math dictates 400 for the basement, 450 for the smaller of the top floor, and 600 for the master bedroom. Sounds reasonable, now I just have to stalk out potential roommates at the ASD.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:25 pm

Can't speak to the snootyness of the undergrads, although they seem fine, but our law school seems to me to be pretty much the chillest law school out there. It was shocking to me how laid back my classmates are. This is awesome.

/blatant pro-Duke trolling.

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:03 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:Can't speak to the snootyness of the undergrads, although they seem fine, but our law school seems to me to be pretty much the chillest law school out there. It was shocking to me how laid back my classmates are. This is awesome.

Give your housing recommendations!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:06 pm

someones alt wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:Can't speak to the snootyness of the undergrads, although they seem fine, but our law school seems to me to be pretty much the chillest law school out there. It was shocking to me how laid back my classmates are. This is awesome.

Many many many of this year's 1L class decided on Pinnacle, but there are some in Alexan, Addington (formerly also Alexan), Belmont, the Lofts, and a few others. Best advice I can give is to check them out yourselves, because they are all good and relatively cheap. I'm in Pinnacle and I have plenty of space, my own bathroom, and some good common areas (pool, clubhouse, small workout room, racquetball court), and am pretty happy.

Also, from personal experience - bring a car to Durham.

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:37 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
someones alt wrote:

Many many many of this year's 1L class decided on Pinnacle, but there are some in Alexan, Addington (formerly also Alexan), Belmont, the Lofts, and a few others. Best advice I can give is to check them out yourselves, because they are all good and relatively cheap. I'm in Pinnacle and I have plenty of space, my own bathroom, and some good common areas (pool, clubhouse, small workout room, racquetball court), and am pretty happy.

Since you said "my own bathroom" I'm guessing you have a roommate, so did you know the person beforehand or did you meet at ASW or something? I know Duke apparently publishes a list of those seeking roommates once you make your seat deposit, is that a good way to find a roommate? I think I'm pretty set on Pinnacle Ridge or the Lofts and I'd like a 2 bed 2 bath, and I'm worried that everything might fill up pretty quickly so I'd like to get on top of things, so it feels like if I wait to get to that list I might be out of luck in securing my preferred apartment.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:06 pm

someones alt wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
someones alt wrote:

Since you said "my own bathroom" I'm guessing you have a roommate, so did you know the person beforehand or did you meet at ASW or something? I know Duke apparently publishes a list of those seeking roommates once you make your seat deposit, is that a good way to find a roommate? I think I'm pretty set on Pinnacle Ridge or the Lofts and I'd like a 2 bed 2 bath, and I'm worried that everything might fill up pretty quickly so I'd like to get on top of things, so it feels like if I wait to get to that list I might be out of luck in securing my preferred apartment.
You could reserve it now and then find a roommate, a bit risky but worth it if you know thats where you want to stay (and can convince someone else to).

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:14 pm

Why Pinnacle over Addington? I have no preference but I'd rather be with more law students.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:02 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Why Pinnacle over Addington? I have no preference but I'd rather be with more law students.
Built in wine racks clearly answers that question. Pinnacle is also closer and a bit cheaper.

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:29 pm

Hmm gosh I didn't know Durham had such cheap COL. Looks like a 2 bed/bath with walk-in closets and a washer and dryer included at Pinnacle Ridge can be had for 955/mo on a 9 month lease or 855 on a 12 month lease. What is typical for law students? Obviously its hard to predict what you'll be doing your 1L summer, but I'm assuming most people work out of the immediate area so do they sign 9 month leases?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”