Duke Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Bosque

Gold

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Post by Bosque » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:00 pm

I am pretty sure they don't know your grades, but then again I didn't participate in 1L OCI. From what I have heard, it is a big waste of time. No one gets a job out of it. I worked at a firm 1L summer, but I found that job through Simplicity. Other people I know who worked at firms mostly got it through mailing. Both are generally more fruitful options.

beantowngunnahh

New

Post by beantowngunnahh » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:29 pm

This is torture.

I GOTS TO KNOW!!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:45 pm

beantowngunnahh wrote:This is torture.

I GOTS TO KNOW!!
Perhaps if we sacrifice a 2L the registrar will be appeased.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:18 pm

Shits real now. :shock: *F5*

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:29 pm

quakeroats wrote:
beantowngunnahh wrote:This is torture.

I GOTS TO KNOW!!
Perhaps if we sacrifice a 2L the registrar will be appeased.
No, we are jaded and scarred. Damaged goods. Not a suitable sacrifice for the almighty registrar.

Now a 0L...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:30 pm

I wonder if they will post the winter session grades too.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:37 pm

Damn it, I was happier not knowing for sure when they would be out. Now I am all anxious, even though I know there is no logical reason to be. It ain't helping me.

Grrrrrr......

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:50 pm

Bosque wrote:Damn it, I was happier not knowing for sure when they would be out. Now I am all anxious, even though I know there is no logical reason to be. It ain't helping me.

Grrrrrr......
I had a prof walk by me in the hall and say (paraphrased) "nice job on the exam." I am hoping he remembered who I was, because if he didn't, that's going to be some serious disappointment in a couple hours.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:49 pm

They are up. Gaze upon your works, ye cocky, and despair.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:50 pm

Bosque wrote:They are up. Gaze upon your works, ye cocky, and despair.
A 1.0 means I'm number 1, right?

Reedie

Bronze

Post by Reedie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:52 pm

Grades are out. Lol, this feels all awkward now because I'm not interested in comparing grades, but I want to make sure everyone is ok. I'm ok. No thoughts of suicide, dropping out, etc...

I hope everyone is fine, and if you didn't do as well as you hoped, please don't freak out. Take it from someone older than most of you, nothing is as important as it seems.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:09 pm

Reedie wrote:Grades are out. Lol, this feels all awkward now because I'm not interested in comparing grades, but I want to make sure everyone is ok. I'm ok. No thoughts of suicide, dropping out, etc...

I hope everyone is fine, and if you didn't do as well as you hoped, please don't freak out. Take it from someone older than most of you, nothing is as important as it seems.
So that means living isn't that important? Seems important, but I guess if you say otherwise.....

:D Hope everyone did well

Chairman

New

Post by Chairman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:11 pm

Grades suck (in general...which is not to say that my own don't suck too...)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:18 pm

So the exam I was sure I nailed I totally bombed, and teh one I thought I bombed I aced. huh.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:23 pm

poprox wrote:So the exam I was sure I nailed I totally bombed, and teh one I thought I bombed I aced. huh.
This semester, that was me.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:48 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
poprox wrote:So the exam I was sure I nailed I totally bombed, and teh one I thought I bombed I aced. huh.
This semester, that was me.
+1

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:51 pm

I got totally pwnt on an exam I thought I did ok on (but really I'm not surprised). But I was right about what my highest grade would be.

I think I can do better but I'm satisfied. And there are far more important things in life... like Mock Trial. :mrgreen:

I know it varies a lot, but anyone have any idea what kind of grades would set the floor for a serious shot at DOJ Honors from Duke? What's top third here?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:00 pm

I wish we knew, or could even speculate, as to the grade levels that correspond to particular class ranks.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:01 pm

Well they tell us median, which is all I need to know.

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:05 pm

Are the honors cutoffs from prior years not good enough to get a sense of where you stand? I really don't understand curves.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:07 pm

someones alt wrote:Are the honors cutoffs from prior years not good enough to get a sense of where you stand? I really don't understand curves.
Probably not, as they're only supposed to account for 2L and 3L grades and the median for many classes increases after 1L.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:09 pm

someones alt wrote:Are the honors cutoffs from prior years not good enough to get a sense of where you stand? I really don't understand curves.
Not sure that they're instructive for 1L grades since the curve gets looser for 2L and 3L years. But where is that information, anyway?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:11 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Bosque wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Bosque wrote:Small piece of advice for you 1Ls: when you are picking your classes for fall semester of 2L year, pay close attention to the finals schedule. Back to back to back to back finals are not fun.
What are your thoughts on balancing class difficulty?

I'm thinking of doing Fed Courts, Administrative Law, Evidence, and Business Associations in the Fall if they're all available.
HAHAHAHAHAhahahahaHAHAHAHAhahahahAHAHAAAA....

Yah, that plan is naive at best. You might be able to get in to all of those (although you better be quick on the refresh if you want Evidence), but there is no way I can suggest taking all of those in one semester. Especially not THAT semester. Fed courts is a 5 hour class, Evidence and BA are both 4 hours, and Administrative law is 3. That adds up to 16 hours. That hour total alone should tell you something about the feasibility of your plan. You planning on doing a journal if you get on, trying out for moot court, participating in the Jessup or Deans cups, being in any student groups next year or, I don't know, trying like mad to get a job? Not with that schedule you aren't.

I guess the feasibility of this also depends on who is teaching. I hear the Benjamin is tough for admin, and that is the low hour class. Griffin is great apparently, but according to my friend in evidence this semester, the end of the exam had more people throwing their hands up to show they had stopped typing once time had expired than he had ever seen in any other exam. So a lot of material there. I have heard BA has been a slogfest, and fed courts... well, let me just say, there is a reason it is a 5 hour class. You are just lucky Young usually teaches it in the spring. His class is 5 hours too, but he works you like it is a 8 or 9 hour class.

Although I wouldn't worry too much. The classes are bound to conflict and/or they will all fill up with me and my fellow 2Ls before you guys get a stab at them.
quakeroats wrote: One other question, I know we don't release class rank, but how does one compare their GPA to median? 3.3 is the median 1st year grade, but I'd assume grades aren't evenly distributed so 3.3 probably isn't the median GPA. Do we release any GPA info at all? Latin honors? Order of the Coif? Anything?
You don't. And if employers ask, you don't. And if you are really worried about latin honors at this stage in the game, you are doing it wrong.
Thanks for the suggestions. I was only halfway serious about that schedule, but I've had a lot of fun so far this year, and I think I might be up for getting some of the more rigorous classes out of the way my 2L year.

BTW, from xoxo:

"for class of 2006:

high honors - 3.724

honors - 3.592

for class of 2008:

high honors - 3.746

honors - 3.598"

For those keeping score at home, everything short of summa ignores your 1L GPA.

Here are the cutoffs according to someone on xoxo.

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:12 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Not sure that they're instructive for 1L grades since the curve gets looser for 2L and 3L years. But where is that information, anyway?
quaker posted it a few pages back:

edited out since i got beaten to the punch

So there is no way to extrapolate? I mean, I guess we can reason that a 3.6 1L year is slightly better than top 1/3

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:23 pm

so if the median only holds within each course, we have no way to know the overall gpa median then? In other words, each professor curves to 3.3 median, but in the aggregate 1L gpas could have a higher or lower overall median

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”