Duke Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
ranovr32

Bronze

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Post by ranovr32 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:45 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:Anyone planning on studying abroad, the Geneva and Hong Kong programs are supposed to be pretty good.
I'm interested, but I don't think anything would fit into my plans besides the Duke in DC program. I kind of feel like an idiot for wanting to do DC, since that seems like something you do in your free time or in undergrad.
No I saw this and thought it was legit. I want to practice in either Texas or Cal when I am done. Although the Dc program won't help, I know it isn't helping me in the Texas fight though lol I hear they are suspicious of anyone who refuses to attend UT, then wants to work there.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:51 pm

ranovr32 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
ranovr32 wrote:Anyone planning on studying abroad, the Geneva and Hong Kong programs are supposed to be pretty good.
I'm interested, but I don't think anything would fit into my plans besides the Duke in DC program. I kind of feel like an idiot for wanting to do DC, since that seems like something you do in your free time or in undergrad.
No I saw this and thought it was legit. I want to practice in either Texas or Cal when I am done. Although the Dc program won't help, I know it isn't helping me in the Texas fight though lol I hear they are suspicious of anyone who refuses to attend UT, then wants to work there.
Haha that sounds like something you would hear, but the diversity gained from spending time outside of Texas and getting a different education than everyone else you will be working with is a good selling point. If you are sincere I doubt you will have a hard time proving you are a real Texan lol. I wouldn't think this would be a real problem with the top, top firms in Texas.

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:54 pm

The problem is I am not A REAL TEXAN lol, I think it is one of teh best states though, has an amazing QOL with low COL, and NO STATE INCOME TAX!!!!!!! You kidding me how can you beat that lol

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:04 pm

ranovr32 wrote:The problem is I am not A REAL TEXAN lol, I think it is one of teh best states though, has an amazing QOL with low COL, and NO STATE INCOME TAX!!!!!!! You kidding me how can you beat that lol
Hrm, then that might be a problem lol. Us Texans are a loyal crowd. Where are you from then? If you're a yank then I say maybe try Florida instead of Texas lol.

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:07 pm

I'm from Florida hahah but really a yank I grew up in NJ and NY. But I really do love the Texas lifestyle or what it is portrayed as. I want a 100 acres and horses, not a postage stamp size lot in Fort Lauderdale 15 minutes form where I graduated high school. Plus no hablo espanol, seriously you ahve to these days if you live in soflo

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:26 pm

ranovr32 wrote:Plus no hablo espanol, seriously you ahve to these days if you live in soflo
Yes, of course that will not be a problem if you live to Texas. I'm much more likely to own a boat and live on a beach than own a horse and live on a field. Horses are cool and all, but I guess their charm wears off when you see them everyday.

In other news, my scholarship offer was mailed today. I hope it's the same ammount they handed out last year to people with my numbers.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:36 pm

You can have a boat and a horse in Texas. Why does everyone want to work in TX/FL grr.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:46 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:You can have a boat and a horse in Texas. Why does everyone want to work in TX/FL grr.
Haha just so we can screw up your chances. I hope we are not representative of the entire Duke class of 2013, or I will have to gun just so I can get the gewd jobz.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:51 pm

Do you hear that NYC gunners? Come to Duke for little competition for our top market, provided you are not a Jersey Shore type.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thewordisjust

New

Post by thewordisjust » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:32 pm

Well, I'm another Texan joining the mix at Duke. I received my scholarship letter and have now mailed in my acceptance. At this rate a quarter of the class will be from Texas! Are any others doing the LLM as well?

amann

New

Post by amann » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:51 pm

I got into the JD/LLM prog but waiting for my scholarship package, like most. I'm really interested in learning more about the apartment situation, considering I'm going to drive 3000 miles in May and I don't know anything about the city (besides what I learn at ASW). Anyone have anything else to say?

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:38 pm

amann wrote: Anyone have anything else to say?
Yes. If you're gunning for the TX market, withdraw.

Glad to have you aboard, see you at ASW.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:45 pm

Lol I like how we have all gone from being friendly to mortal enemies gunning for the same legal market. I guess I'll just have to go to Alaska. I hope nobody is gunning for the 'Alaska State Law Review.'

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:47 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Lol I like how we have all gone from being friendly to mortal enemies gunning for the same legal market. I guess I'll just have to go to Alaska. I hope nobody is gunning for the 'Alaska State Law Review.'

Not like it's gonna matter since you'll be editor of the ALJ.

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:38 am

The Guantanamo Defense Clinic seems incredibly interesting. There are way way too many interesting things to do at Duke, I halfway hope I don't make LR so I have the time to do everything else

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:07 pm

The new entrepreneurship LLM looks cool. Although I wouldn't do the degree, I hope that means there will be more courses about VC and stuff for JD students to take.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:14 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:The new entrepreneurship LLM looks cool. Although I wouldn't do the degree, I hope that means there will be more courses about VC and stuff for JD students to take.
What's that?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Thanks. I don't see the point of doing an LLM to get that knowledge; aren't all those classes available to JD students? Do you mean venture capital when you say VC? If so, boo. Is that an area you could see yourself getting involved in?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:18 pm

Agree that the LLM is pointless. I just hope they get more classes in the area since I'm a finance guy. I'm more interested in being part of start-up than a VC.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:47 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Agree that the LLM is pointless. I just hope they get more classes in the area since I'm a finance guy. I'm more interested in being part of start-up than a VC.
I'm sure all of those classes open to LLM are also open to JD. My only problem with start-ups is that the owners are only in it to get bought out; so they rarely make a strong, sustainable company. They eventually just get consumed by a bigger company for their technology. The incentives are all wrong. I guess a big payday should be the main focus, but I'm more of a 'build something that will last' kind of person. I'm pretty much making this up though, so if you have some good examples of how I'm full of it I'd be happy to change my opinion.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:57 pm

While what you say is true, I don't see how that is a bad thing. There is something to be said for taking on new projects every few years to keep it fresh. Personally, I don't know if I could stay at one biglaw firm for 30 years in the same office.

Edit: I do want to start off Biglaw to pay off loans and get experience and contacts with the legal elites.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:07 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:While what you say is true, I don't see how that is a bad thing. There is something to be said for taking on new projects every few years to keep it fresh. Personally, I don't know if I could stay at one biglaw firm for 30 years in the same office.

Edit: I do want to start off Biglaw to pay off loans and get experience and contacts with the legal elites.
Of course on the edit, why would anyone turn down $160k starting salary when you have $150k in loans :wink: . I can see how VC would be appealing; I was thinking about doing consulting so the same thing except no big check at the end. The consulting work would only be a way to gain experience so I could create/run a company though. I guess I'm more power than achievement focused in that regard.

virginiagirl55

New

Post by virginiagirl55 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:59 pm

insidethetwenty wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:You'll get some money, I know it.

I'm just wondering if Duke people go out more in Durham or Chapel Hill. If it's Durham, then closer to campus is obviously perfect. Not that I plan on going out too often 1L anyway (easy to say now).
Most people, from what I gather, go out in Chapel Hill.

That said, if you live in the lofts mentioned above you will be within walking distance of a pretty cool downtown development. There's only one really "fratty" bar there (there's an electric bull there), but there's a pretty good hipster-like bar with about 50 different taps and duck confit on the menu, and a pretty legitimate Irish Pub with Harp on tap and traditional Irish fare. There's also a Japanese steakhouse and a Greek place.

Also in Durham, at the SouthPoint mall area they have a bunch of the big chain restaurant/bars like PF Chang's, etc.
You definitely cannot walk form the Lofts to the downtown development (Main Street). It's 3+ miles and along a road where people are very frequently robbed. I'm a current Duke undergrad, and I very rarely see grad students out in Durham. They certainly don't go to Shooters (the "fratty" bar with the bull). There is a pizza place with great thursday night deals, and I'll sometimes see grad students there, but I feel like its more MBA than JD. I'm assuming JDs go out more in Chapel Hill, unless I am missing some part of the Durham social scene (which kind of sucks... one of the major reasons I'm heading to Charlottesville rather than Durham next fall...)

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:01 pm

virginiagirl55 wrote:
insidethetwenty wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:You'll get some money, I know it.

I'm just wondering if Duke people go out more in Durham or Chapel Hill. If it's Durham, then closer to campus is obviously perfect. Not that I plan on going out too often 1L anyway (easy to say now).
Most people, from what I gather, go out in Chapel Hill.

That said, if you live in the lofts mentioned above you will be within walking distance of a pretty cool downtown development. There's only one really "fratty" bar there (there's an electric bull there), but there's a pretty good hipster-like bar with about 50 different taps and duck confit on the menu, and a pretty legitimate Irish Pub with Harp on tap and traditional Irish fare. There's also a Japanese steakhouse and a Greek place.

Also in Durham, at the SouthPoint mall area they have a bunch of the big chain restaurant/bars like PF Chang's, etc.
You definitely cannot walk form the Lofts to the downtown development (Main Street). It's 3+ miles and along a road where people are very frequently robbed. I'm a current Duke undergrad, and I very rarely see grad students out in Durham. They certainly don't go to Shooters (the "fratty" bar with the bull). There is a pizza place with great thursday night deals, and I'll sometimes see grad students there, but I feel like its more MBA than JD. I'm assuming JDs go out more in Chapel Hill, unless I am missing some part of the Durham social scene (which kind of sucks... one of the major reasons I'm heading to Charlottesville rather than Durham next fall...)
I'm sorry I (we?) wasn't specific. I was talking about the West Village Apartments, which are lofts, not the Lofts at Lakeview.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”