UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:07 pm

Doritos wrote:How big of a role do you think writing samples play in the acquisition of 1L jobs?
It's important for a lot of 1L jobs that you prove you can form complete sentences and use proper grammar. Beyond that, most jobs won't really care. They know you're a 1L and don't know what you're doing yet. It's one of those "won't really help you, just doing it badly enough will hurt you" things.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:32 pm

Last edited by plum on Thu May 26, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:36 pm

plum wrote:i think i'll just put in some effort on the "big memo", but i can't be bothered with this 2nd one.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:10 am

vamedic03 wrote:
plum wrote:i'll prolly just write some memos on my own over xmas break on topics that i actually LIKE instead of this incredibly boring mind-numbing stuff they give us in lrw (seriously? if the topic were more interesting i might actually enjoy putting some effort into it). my old firm job offered to edit my memos and review them for me anyways so i might hit them up on that offer.
Dude - that's just asking for burn out. You shouldn't spend xmas break writing additional memos. If you really want to get a non-LRW writing sample, participate in the Winter Pro Bono Project Program (which I highly recommend). That way, you can get some real research and writing experience, and get Pro Bono hours.

Question about the winter pro bono thing. I would like to do it but I would also like to visit my family for a week. Are they flexible with things like that or do I have to be in Cville the whole break?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:55 am

Doritos wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
plum wrote:i'll prolly just write some memos on my own over xmas break on topics that i actually LIKE instead of this incredibly boring mind-numbing stuff they give us in lrw (seriously? if the topic were more interesting i might actually enjoy putting some effort into it). my old firm job offered to edit my memos and review them for me anyways so i might hit them up on that offer.
Dude - that's just asking for burn out. You shouldn't spend xmas break writing additional memos. If you really want to get a non-LRW writing sample, participate in the Winter Pro Bono Project Program (which I highly recommend). That way, you can get some real research and writing experience, and get Pro Bono hours.

Question about the winter pro bono thing. I would like to do it but I would also like to visit my family for a week. Are they flexible with things like that or do I have to be in Cville the whole break?
Its the 1st 3 weeks of January - however, I did the first 2 weeks of January because I did a J-term course. They'll have meeting about in November. They will help you find a project in your hometown or in other cities if you prefer not to be in cville. I think most people probably did something outside of c'ville. Some places allow for remote projects and the quality of experience can vary quite a bit.

I personally got about 72 hours of pro bono hours done in 2 weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:42 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Its the 1st 3 weeks of January - however, I did the first 2 weeks of January because I did a J-term course. They'll have meeting about in November. They will help you find a project in your hometown or in other cities if you prefer not to be in cville. I think most people probably did something outside of c'ville. Some places allow for remote projects and the quality of experience can vary quite a bit.

I did a pro bono project in NYC, just because I wanted to go hang out in NYC with friends over the winter break. They found me something there, it led to a great 1L summer internship, and that has led to other things. I highly recommend the winter break pro bono projects to everyone, even if you're not going to do public service for a living; it'll possibly give you connections for a 1L summer internship and definitely give you something law-related to talk about during 2L OCI interviews.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:44 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Its the 1st 3 weeks of January - however, I did the first 2 weeks of January because I did a J-term course. They'll have meeting about in November. They will help you find a project in your hometown or in other cities if you prefer not to be in cville. I think most people probably did something outside of c'ville. Some places allow for remote projects and the quality of experience can vary quite a bit.

I did a pro bono project in NYC, just because I wanted to go hang out in NYC with friends over the winter break. They found me something there, it led to a great 1L summer internship, and that has led to other things. I highly recommend the winter break pro bono projects to everyone, even if you're not going to do public service for a living; it'll possibly give you connections for a 1L summer internship and definitely give you something law-related to talk about during 2L OCI interviews.
If there is a specific legal aid society I would like to work for during the winter break is it better to approach them directly by sending in my resume in November, or should I try to go to one of the Public Interest meetings in Nov that you all are talking about and try to do it through the school?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:49 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

If there is a specific legal aid society I would like to work for during the winter break is it better to approach them directly by sending in my resume in November, or should I try to go to one of the Public Interest meetings in Nov that you all are talking about and try to do it through the school?
I would go through the school - its a formal program. If you're really anxious then schedule a meeting with Dean Emory to talk about it.

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:01 am

how does uva tend to do in the DC area (not just firms, but all the legal opportunities out there)...does it have a solid rep or do we flood the town so that they're sick of us?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:04 am

plum wrote:how does uva tend to do in the DC area (not just firms, but all the legal opportunities out there)...does it have a solid rep or do we flood the town so that they're sick of us?
You have to have good grades to work in DC. I have heard this constantly from everyone. It's a small market and everyone @ UVa wants to work there

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Doritos wrote:
plum wrote:how does uva tend to do in the DC area (not just firms, but all the legal opportunities out there)...does it have a solid rep or do we flood the town so that they're sick of us?
You have to have good grades to work in DC. I have heard this constantly from everyone. It's a small market and everyone @ UVa wants to work there
I would say that if you want to work in D.C. you're going to be needing top 20% type grades.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:02 pm

Doritos wrote:
I thought DC was the 2nd largest legal market behind NYC, or did you mean small relative to the number of graduates who want to work there?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:07 pm

im_blue wrote:I thought DC was the 2nd largest legal market behind NYC, or did you mean small relative to the number of graduates who want to work there?
Yeah it's not small; It's just small in comparison to NYC, which is loaded with firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:43 pm

so i just started using OneNote and can't seem to figure out how to create a shortcut key for §

anyone know how to do this?

jdavid901

New

Post by jdavid901 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:53 pm

I have an addition to the procedure I referenced above. In Onenote 2010, I can't just cut and past the § symbol in the autocorrect box. To work around that problem, I had to insert it using the unicode character code: type 00A7 in the box and hit "Alt + x" immediately afterward. Hope it helps!

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:57 pm

jdavid901 wrote:I have an addition to the procedure I referenced above. In Onenote 2010, I can't just cut and past the § symbol in the autocorrect box. To work around that problem, I had to insert it using the unicode character code: type 00A7 in the box and hit "Alt + x" immediately afterward. Hope it helps!
awesome just fixt it. thanks. :)

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:29 am

jdavid901 wrote:I have an addition to the procedure I referenced above. In Onenote 2010, I can't just cut and past the § symbol in the autocorrect box. To work around that problem, I had to insert it using the unicode character code: type 00A7 in the box and hit "Alt + x" immediately afterward. Hope it helps!
I've been wondering how to do this. Thanks a bunch!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

plum

Bronze

Post by plum » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:48 am

seriously what the hell is wrong with OneNote....where is the find-and-replace option?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:06 am

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:37 am

YCrevolution wrote:Alt-21 with Numlock on should also generate the section symbol.
Hmmm that didn't work for me. What version are you using?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:09 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Alt-21 with Numlock on should also generate the section symbol.
sweet. alt 0167 also works, but 21 is a whole lot easier.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:39 pm

Oh snap! I've been doing alt-0167 all this time. My mind has been expanded

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:27 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
Doritos wrote:
I would say that if you want to work in D.C. you're going to be needing top 20% type grades.
I'd cut that down to more like top 33% (3.4ish), assuming you interview reasonably well. The trick with bidding DC is that it's a good way to end up with like 10 interviews even though you have above-median grades.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:57 pm

RVP11 wrote:I'd cut that down to more like top 33% (3.4ish), assuming you interview reasonably well. The trick with bidding DC is that it's a good way to end up with like 10 interviews even though you have above-median grades.
We really do have a tight curve. Eh, getting grades is going to be really interesting. Is top 10 percent a 3.6 or a 3.7? I've been getting a bit confused about that.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:42 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
RVP11 wrote:I'd cut that down to more like top 33% (3.4ish), assuming you interview reasonably well. The trick with bidding DC is that it's a good way to end up with like 10 interviews even though you have above-median grades.
We really do have a tight curve. Eh, getting grades is going to be really interesting. Is top 10 percent a 3.6 or a 3.7? I've been getting a bit confused about that.
Top 10% is roughly 3.65

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”