University of Washingon Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
legalease9

Silver

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Post by legalease9 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:43 pm

legalease9 wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
seattleguy wrote:Anyone hear anything about financial aid that didn't ask for an expedited app?
Not me, but I did hear from someone who called the general UW financial aid office that professional students who are Washington residents with an EFC under a certain limit ($6000?) will be getting 6-8k tuition waivers again this year.

Apparently those grants were something that was potentially on the chopping block in this latest round of state budget cuts, but they survived. Actually, part of why we haven't heard anything about financial aid could have to do with the legislature not wrapping up their special budget session until a few days ago.
Does anyone know more about this?
Anyone?

barrydukakis

Bronze

Post by barrydukakis » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:30 pm

I'm the individual that originally called. If you are curious about the need-based grant, it is for Washington residents, and the maximum your EFC could be was somewhere around 6000, I think it was 6200. This does NOT come from UW Law, it is from the graduate student financial aid office. This office has decided a preliminary award, but it will not be finalized for another day to a week or so (they told me a week or two when I called last week). If you want to know your preliminary award based on the FAFSA, I would just call the financial aid office for graduate students if you want to know your award, again NOT UW Law, at least as it pertains to the tuition exemption grant for needy Washington residents.

Second the sentiment on Arlo, great individual to work with.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:41 pm

barrydukakis wrote:I'm the individual that originally called. If you are curious about the need-based grant, it is for Washington residents, and the maximum your EFC could be was somewhere around 6000, I think it was 6200. This does NOT come from UW Law, it is from the graduate student financial aid office. This office has decided a preliminary award, but it will not be finalized for another day to a week or so (they told me a week or two when I called last week). If you want to know your preliminary award based on the FAFSA, I would just call the financial aid office for graduate students if you want to know your award, again NOT UW Law, at least as it pertains to the tuition exemption grant for needy Washington residents.

Second the sentiment on Arlo, great individual to work with.
Thank you for the info. I'm a WA resident, so I will definitely be giving them a call!

QueueToo

New

Post by QueueToo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:22 pm

Deposit sent in today; it's official!

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:32 pm

QueueToo wrote:Deposit sent in today; it's official!
Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kri

New

Post by kri » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:52 pm

sent in my deposit ttoo

HerseyChris

Bronze

Post by HerseyChris » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:25 pm

kri wrote:sent in my deposit ttoo
Same. Got it today, sending it out today.

aimhigh09

Bronze

Post by aimhigh09 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:50 am

Have any of you who've put in deposits heard anything back from admissions? A confirmation would be nice... just so I know I have a place to go this fall...

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:54 am

aimhigh09 wrote:Have any of you who've put in deposits heard anything back from admissions? A confirmation would be nice... just so I know I have a place to go this fall...
I had to call and ask for a confirmation and I think it took them something like a month to cash my check.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

barrydukakis

Bronze

Post by barrydukakis » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Anyone know how/where to get a UW Net ID? I spend about 5 minutes on it the other day and the site is very confusing... especially because the UW law link to get your Net ID sends you to a broken link that then reroutes you to a general tech site for UW.

Is this even something we can do?

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:23 pm

barrydukakis wrote:Anyone know how/where to get a UW Net ID? I spend about 5 minutes on it the other day and the site is very confusing... especially because the UW law link to get your Net ID sends you to a broken link that then reroutes you to a general tech site for UW.

If you get a message from the law school you can and you will have to. Not until then though. UW Net ID is the system that manages your email, financial aid notification, transcripts, registration, grades etc. It is your personal web portal for all things school related. It will carry over if you are a UW undergrad going to a graduate program.

Source: I was a UW undergraduate and have an ID.

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:48 pm

legalease9 wrote:
barrydukakis wrote:Anyone know how/where to get a UW Net ID? I spend about 5 minutes on it the other day and the site is very confusing... especially because the UW law link to get your Net ID sends you to a broken link that then reroutes you to a general tech site for UW.

If you get a message from the law school you can and you will have to. Not until then though. UW Net ID is the system that manages your email, financial aid notification, transcripts, registration, grades etc. It is your personal web portal for all things school related. It will carry over if you are a UW undergrad going to a graduate program.

Actually, once you send in your deposit you are eligible for a UW NetID. You need to call the registrar's office and be prepared to give them information to confirm your identity and they will then give you your student number and private access code. You will then go to the UW NetID website, and use the current student feature to get your NetID. I am not a current UW student and have my UW NetID (without getting any letter/email from the registrar).

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:58 pm

seattleguy wrote:
legalease9 wrote:

Actually, once you send in your deposit you are eligible for a UW NetID. You need to call the registrar's office and be prepared to give them information to confirm your identity and they will then give you your student number and private access code. You will then go to the UW NetID website, and use the current student feature to get your NetID. I am not a current UW student and have my UW NetID (without getting any letter/email from the registrar).
Interesting. I stand corrected.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:32 am

I just got my award letter on email and went to check it out. I didn't see the need-based grant that folks were talking about in the forum and my EFC was less than 5k. I was wondering if anyone else knew anything about the grant/had gotten their award with the grant reflected. I plan on calling tomorrow to try to find out but wanted to check so I don't have to spend another 15minutes waiting for someone to pick up.

barrydukakis

Bronze

Post by barrydukakis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:27 am

Hmm, that doesn't bode well. Haven't got my award e-mail yet but really hoping for the tuition exempton grant.

The preliminary qualification is the EFC, but I imagine that the preliminary award can change depending on the financial information.

Did you get a follow up request for financial info in the form of three hardly legible half sheet mailings?

Guessing you will have to call and see what's going on.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:29 am

Went to financial aid office today. Sorry Folks, its 1000.

Edit: Sorry this post was incomplete: Yes, your EFC must be below 1000 in order to qualify for the grant. I, like most I imagine, did not meet this threshold.
Last edited by legalease9 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:32 am

legalease9 wrote:Went to financial aid office today. Sorry Folks, its 1000.
$1000 EFC? Sheesh, that's lame. Guess it's student loans all the way. Oh well thanks for the info!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

barrydukakis

Bronze

Post by barrydukakis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:35 am

Holy smokes. My bad on the 6000 EFC, that's what the lady I called a few weeks ago said, maybe got someone who didn't know what they were talking about.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:41 am

barrydukakis wrote:Holy smokes. My bad on the 6000 EFC, that's what the lady I called a few weeks ago said, maybe got someone who didn't know what they were talking about.
Its ok, there's NO information about the grant anywhere on the web. And interestingly, when I sent an email two days ago, the reply said that they hadn't decided the number yet. Only when I physically went down today did they give me a number.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:31 am

legalease9 wrote:Went to financial aid office today. Sorry Folks, its 1000.

Edit: Sorry this post was incomplete: Yes, your EFC must be below 1000 in order to qualify for the grant. I, like most I imagine, did not meet this threshold.
Crap, mine is about $1200. I bet I could have spent just one or two thousand dollars out of my savings to make that difference. Buying a new laptop and a suit or two in January would have been a great financial decision.

This system of need based financial aid really screws people who have been working for a few years, not making a whole lot of money, but saving diligently. Since grad students are automatically considered independent on the fafsa, someone who is straight out of undergrad and still has parents willing to help them out, but who has been going to school full time and doesn't have much income or savings, will qualify for this grant, while someone who has been working for a couple of years, supporting a family on a relatively small income with no financial assistance from parents, and trying to be financially responsible by saving a little bit, doesn't qualify. That's kind of ridicules, I don't know how to make it fair, but it sure isn't right now.

Sorry, just had to vent a little.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:52 pm

Just got my email too. No need based grants, as I was expecting. Apparently tuition for next year is 23,352, so only about a 5% increase from this year, not too bad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

neon

New

Post by neon » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:44 pm

My EFC is 0. No grants offered, just loans.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:04 pm

neon wrote:My EFC is 0. No grants offered, just loans.
That's odd, are you a Washington resident? You have to be a Washington Resident to get the Grant b/c its from the state.

neon

New

Post by neon » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Yep, I am a Washington resident.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:47 pm

Call em up. You should definitely get your grant if your efc is 0.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”