Berkeley Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
IzziesGal

Silver

Re: Berkeley Class of 2013

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:43 pm

Rotor wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:I was unaware of the concept of book unbinding until this week...how many of you are planning on doing this? I really dislike the idea of tearing up my casebooks, but I don't know if my back can handle a semester of this weight.
I did it last year and it hurt to watch the guillotine chop through the spine. That feeling went away the next morning as I biked up the hill with about 5 lbs total in my backback-- a netbook and a binder with the week's readings for all my classes (and a clean shirt to change into).
I just wanted to weigh in on this as well (no pun intended). I, unlike Rotor, did not unbind my books last year, and I regretted every second of it. I had trouble with the idea of tearing up books, too. I did it this semester, though, and I wish I did it as a 1L when the casebooks were bigger.

I had it done at Kinko's in Emeryville for $1.50 per book, although they did make me cut the covers off myself with a razor blade before they chopped them. I have to say I am surprised at how liberating it felt to chop them into pieces. You may or may not feel the same way at the end of 1L. :wink:

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:39 pm

So... Blake's sucks.

bayareadunks

New

Post by bayareadunks » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:19 am

Shaggier1 wrote:So... Blake's sucks.
Truer words could not have been spoken.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:44 pm

bayareadunks wrote:
ugh that bar was the WORST

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:07 pm

I wasn't able to make the residency meeting last Thursday. Can anyone give me a small rundown? I know that I need to register to vote here and change my driver's license, but I didn't know if there was a specific date I needed to do that by.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:58 pm

@Kronk: Definitely do both asap. I didn't go to the meeting either, but my understanding is that you are a resident if you've been in the state for 366 days prior to the start of the semester in question. For example, if you want resident tuition for 2L, in theory it would be most helpful if you had changed your lisence and registered to vote a full year prior...i.e. early August. However, a lease and credit card statements showing constant spending in-state during this month will help too.

Hopeully someone else can weigh in with more helpful info, though. It seems a little unreasonable to think that you would have been required to do that stuff by now.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:28 pm

On another note, anyone know when the Advocates for Youth Justice commitment meeting happens? I missed the first session.

What's everyone else doing (or for 2L's and 3L's: what did you do previously) for their Edley hours?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:52 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:On another note, anyone know when the Advocates for Youth Justice commitment meeting happens? I missed the first session.

What's everyone else doing (or for 2L's and 3L's: what did you do previously) for their Edley hours?
I did IRAP (the Iraqi Refugee Assistance Project). I have mixed feelings about whether I would recommend it. It's also a bit difficult to do all of your Edley hours with it. Most people have great things to say about pretty much every clinic, so definitely get involved if you can.

screwsandboalts

New

Post by screwsandboalts » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:03 am

1L is making me fat.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:30 am

worldtraveler wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:On another note, anyone know when the Advocates for Youth Justice commitment meeting happens? I missed the first session.

I did IRAP (the Iraqi Refugee Assistance Project). I have mixed feelings about whether I would recommend it. It's also a bit difficult to do all of your Edley hours with it. Most people have great things to say about pretty much every clinic, so definitely get involved if you can.
What did you do for your extra Edley hours, in that case?

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:46 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
tintin wrote:
bayareadunks wrote:
ugh that bar was the WORST
Clearly, you have yet to go to Kip's.
Kip's is WAY better than Blake's if you like to dance.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:47 pm

Kronk wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

What did you do for your extra Edley hours, in that case?
I got my Edley hours with it. I'm just saying that it's not that easy to do.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:09 am

ok, I didn't see that many 1Ls at guac fest today.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS??!!

free beer! guac!!! :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:34 am

tintin wrote:ok, I didn't see that many 1Ls at guac fest today.

I can't speak for everyone, but at least 90 of us were at the "negligence and the standard of care" fest. My supermod had Torts during the same time as the guac fest.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:54 am

Dignan wrote:
tintin wrote:ok, I didn't see that many 1Ls at guac fest today.

I can't speak for everyone, but at least 90 of us were at the "negligence and the standard of care" fest. My supermod had Torts during the same time as the guac fest.
I was watching John Yoo speak. He is a silly, silly man.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:58 pm

my supermod had civ pro but it didn't stop me...

i heard that they locked everyone into the john yoo event to keep protesters out. if that's true, i'm so glad i didn't go...

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:12 pm

tintin wrote:my supermod had civ pro but it didn't stop me...

i heard that they locked everyone into the john yoo event to keep protesters out. if that's true, i'm so glad i didn't go...

They let the protesters stand right outside the doors. I don't really see the point in letting them inside. Then we all would've gathered in there to hear a John Yoo protest, which wasn't what anyone came for. Powerful protests outside, though.

For the current 2L and 3Ls--how do you fund your summers if you decide to do judicial externships? Edley grants don't qualify for judicial stuff, right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:40 am

Kronk wrote:For the current 2L and 3Ls--how do you fund your summers if you decide to do judicial externships? Edley grants don't qualify for judicial stuff, right?
That is correct. I had other assets to draw from, so I'm not the best person to ask. Maybe some of the other more traditional students who worked for judges can offer some advice.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:04 am

Woah, no posts on this thread in three weeks! Alright, time to stir shit up a bit:

1) What have people been hearing from the 2L's about this year's OCI?

2) Anyone in the Levy mod find the man's old GGU exams yet?

3) How's everyone doing?

Cheers,

TG

BerkTownBoaltie

New

Post by BerkTownBoaltie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:51 am

Last edited by BerkTownBoaltie on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wheretotransfer

New

Post by wheretotransfer » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:41 am

Incoming Transfer (gasp) haha.

Anyone have housing/interested in helping a brother out.

Male or female, doesnt bother me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aham2005

New

Post by aham2005 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:47 pm

Did anyone on here have Margaret Thomas for Civil procedure last year?

empire84

New

Post by empire84 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:03 pm

Could I by chance get one of you to give me professor reviews of Professor Pamela Samuelson's Copyright Law class?

She is a Visiting Professor at NYU right now and I am thinking about taking her class, but was curious to hear some recommendations.

Thanks in advance. PM is preferred.

Here is a link to her page at Berkeley: http://www.law.berkeley.edu/php-program ... p?cID=6778

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”