Michigan Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Is the Michigan 2013 class:

The best ever?
15%
The bestest ever?
31%
The best there has ever been?
54%

Total votes: 13

JohnBoy

Bronze

Re: Michigan Class of 2013

Post by JohnBoy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:55 pm

existenz wrote:
JohnBoy wrote:
existenz wrote:Made it to Ann Arbor. My LC room seems bigger than some of the ones I saw during ASW. Def bigger than the dorm room I shared with a roomie during UG.
Do you have an individual bedroom or is it shared?
It's a single. L-shaped, looks to be maybe 20ft x 10ft in the long portion.
I know you've only been there for a few days, if that. But, how are you liking everything so far?

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:05 pm

JohnBoy wrote:I know you've only been there for a few days, if that. But, how are you liking everything so far?
My first day here. Weather is perfect and Ann Arbor is lovely.

The calm before the storm, really...

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:52 am

existenz wrote:
JohnBoy wrote:I know you've only been there for a few days, if that. But, how are you liking everything so far?
My first day here. Weather is perfect and Ann Arbor is lovely.

The calm before the storm, really...
Quite.

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:26 am

I'll be signing out of Ann Arbor and TLS (at least visibly) this weekend. My advice to the starting class:

Work hard
Keep up with the reading every night
Be good to each other
Spend time with your family
Work according to a schedule,
Schedule in free time even during exam periods
When you are learning nothing but still flipping pages, it's time for a break or to go to bed.
Love your experiences with your professors and classmates, it goes by so quick.
Get involved in one law student group and one university-wide student group.
Don't take classes based on the curve -- take professors you like.

Treat your other classmates like humans. Soon it will be 11 degrees, exams will be looming, you'll all have very high anxiety levels. Be kind to each other during this time. Help them pick up their books when the drop them. Ask people who slip on the ice if they are okay. You'd be amazed how many times I saw people walk past these situations because they were busy. You're never so busy that you can't be kind to someone.

Lastly -- you all may be very intimidated by your peers. They are similarly intimidated by you. Everyone is pretty smart and that enriches the entire process. If someone has a controversial idea, join in the debate in a way that fosters communication rather than shouting them down, or worse yet - talking smack behind their back.

At its worst, I capital-H Hated law school. But when it was good -- it was awe-inspiring in so many ways. Now, I view Hutchins as a holy of holies. And three years from now, I bet the rest of you all will too.

Best of luck to you all in your first year studies, the rest of your legal studies, your careers, and your lives.

PK

JetstoRJC

Bronze

Post by JetstoRJC » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:25 am

PKSebben wrote:I'll be signing out of Ann Arbor and TLS (at least visibly) this weekend. My advice to the starting class:

Work hard
Keep up with the reading every night
Be good to each other
Spend time with your family
Work according to a schedule,
Schedule in free time even during exam periods
When you are learning nothing but still flipping pages, it's time for a break or to go to bed.
Love your experiences with your professors and classmates, it goes by so quick.
Get involved in one law student group and one university-wide student group.
Don't take classes based on the curve -- take professors you like.

Treat your other classmates like humans. Soon it will be 11 degrees, exams will be looming, you'll all have very high anxiety levels. Be kind to each other during this time. Help them pick up their books when the drop them. Ask people who slip on the ice if they are okay. You'd be amazed how many times I saw people walk past these situations because they were busy. You're never so busy that you can't be kind to someone.

Lastly -- you all may be very intimidated by your peers. They are similarly intimidated by you. Everyone is pretty smart and that enriches the entire process. If someone has a controversial idea, join in the debate in a way that fosters communication rather than shouting them down, or worse yet - talking smack behind their back.

At its worst, I capital-H Hated law school. But when it was good -- it was awe-inspiring in so many ways. Now, I view Hutchins as a holy of holies. And three years from now, I bet the rest of you all will too.

Best of luck to you all in your first year studies, the rest of your legal studies, your careers, and your lives.

PK
Thanks for the advice PK

Anybody know where to find a schedule for orientation week? Not quite sure where to be or what to do for orientation

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:49 pm

Shlonster

Bronze

Post by Shlonster » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:49 pm

JetstoRJC wrote: Thanks for the advice PK

Anybody know where to find a schedule for orientation week? Not quite sure where to be or what to do for orientation
It's on the admitted students website. Linkage

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:46 pm

Thanks PK. :)

In Ann Arbor and almost sort of unpacked. It was nice that they reserved all the parking along Tappan for people moving into the LC. I was wondering, does anyone here like Nips candy? I ended up with about 9 boxes each of the coffee and peanut butter parfait flavors and have no desire to be eating them for the rest of the semester/school year so if anyone wants some let me know and I'll tell you where you can find me.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:52 pm

goodolgil is also officially in AA now.

Feels good

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

verdandi

New

Post by verdandi » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:57 am

Thought I'd pop my head in here --

2L, just finished with OCI and beginning my journal (MJLR) orientation. PM me if you have any questions at all -- and best of luck with your orientation and classes! I'll just echo what PK said: these can be the best three years of your life, if you take advantage of the fact that you are going to be spending most of your day with some of the highest quality people you're going to ever meet.

cardinalandgold

Silver

Post by cardinalandgold » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:42 pm

I know people are probably busy with classes starting next week and the start of the football season this weekend, but for those of us who moved with spouses or significant others, would any of you be interested in a meet up some time in the near future? If you would like to meet up, just respond back or shoot me a PM. We can decide on a place and time later. Looking forward to meeting you guys!

james18

New

Post by james18 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:06 am

Like verdandi, I thought I'd wish you all a wonderful beginning to your time here.

My single biggest piece of advice: Don't freak out! You did well enough to get here, so just keep doing what you've been doing and you'll be just fine. There's nothing magical about law school. Do most of the reading, pay attention as much as you can manage, study for finals and it will all work out. Oh, and have fun!

I'm a 2L who just finished up orientation for law review and OCI, so please feel free to PM me if you have any questions about that stuff or UM in general.

Enjoy!

JohnBoy

Bronze

Post by JohnBoy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:20 am

For some of you 2Ls:

Is the Michigan golf course nice? How often do you get to play considering weather/work load?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:09 pm

bump (new poll because I'm bored)

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:49 pm

Do we have any idea roughly how 1L GPAs map to percentiles?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Bronte wrote:Do we have any idea roughly how 1L GPAs map to percentiles?
Yes, it's available on the site. --LinkRemoved-- It's actually graduating GPAs so the 1L ones would be a tad lower.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:03 pm

blowhard wrote:
Bronte wrote:Do we have any idea roughly how 1L GPAs map to percentiles?
Yes, it's available on the site. --LinkRemoved-- It's actually graduating GPAs so the 1L ones would be a tad lower.
Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:52 pm

Anybody know when the Law Review decisions are made?

JetstoRJC

Bronze

Post by JetstoRJC » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:45 pm

Mid-July supposedly though hopefully sooner. MTTLR requires those invited to the journal to make a decision by July 18th. I figure this means that they assume Law Review decisions will be made by then.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:00 am

JetstoRJC wrote:Mid-July supposedly though hopefully sooner. MTTLR requires those invited to the journal to make a decision by July 18th. I figure this means that they assume Law Review decisions will be made by then.
Did that date come from the letter following the email they sent out? I haven't been able to check the mail at the address I gave them in a few weeks since I ended up somewhere else for the summer.

Hopefully it will be sooner though. We're supposed to have our resumes uploaded in Symplicity by the 14th, yea? I remember reading something about allowing extra time for people who split summers or had to add journals, but I can't remember if that was for uploading or for resume reviews from OCP.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:11 am

I heard a rumor that they would be coming out on July 6th.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:26 pm

thalassocrat wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:Mid-July supposedly though hopefully sooner. MTTLR requires those invited to the journal to make a decision by July 18th. I figure this means that they assume Law Review decisions will be made by then.
Did that date come from the letter following the email they sent out? I haven't been able to check the mail at the address I gave them in a few weeks since I ended up somewhere else for the summer.

Hopefully it will be sooner though. We're supposed to have our resumes uploaded in Symplicity by the 14th, yea? I remember reading something about allowing extra time for people who split summers or had to add journals, but I can't remember if that was for uploading or for resume reviews from OCP.
The Law Reform guy told me we'd have LR results before their decision was due. I also remember reading something about allowing you to upload changes to your resume for journals.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:27 pm

thalassocrat wrote:

It was in the letter.

JetstoRJC

Bronze

Post by JetstoRJC » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:26 pm

Bronte wrote:I heard a rumor that they would be coming out on July 6th.
How reliable a rumor? :D

And career services does allow you to upload an updated resume with journal information on it.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:32 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:
Bronte wrote:I heard a rumor that they would be coming out on July 6th.
How reliable a rumor? :D
Hard to say. Trustworthy 1L who just said, "That's what I've heard people throwing around. Supposedly comes from inside." So it's pretty speculative. But the official date is mid-July, so I would expect early July. Organizations usually like to give themselves some buffer time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”