FIU - Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Lawof_theLand

New

Re: FIU - Class of 2013

Post by Lawof_theLand » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:17 pm

I read it as meeting 3x per week.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:39 pm

vv9891 wrote:I see that Legal Skills I is offered 3 times a week and there are no sections. Does that mean that the class meets 3 times a week or are those different sections?

the class meets three times a week. and there are sections, they just haven't told you which section you are in (LSV classes are smaller, so it is not based on Sections A, B, C) You will probably learn your LSV section when you go to orientation.

vv9891

New

Post by vv9891 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:02 am

rbgrocio wrote:
vv9891 wrote:I see that Legal Skills I is offered 3 times a week and there are no sections. Does that mean that the class meets 3 times a week or are those different sections?

the class meets three times a week. and there are sections, they just haven't told you which section you are in (LSV classes are smaller, so it is not based on Sections A, B, C) You will probably learn your LSV section when you go to orientation.

Thanks!!

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:57 am

Ready for school? Orientation is next week and then hell begins!!!

Lawof_theLand

New

Post by Lawof_theLand » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:20 am

Yep, ready.

I beat the national rush on books and got my Contracts and Torts case books used with no markings for < $40.00 each.

The case for our orientation assignment was the McDonald v. Chicago 2nd and 14th amendment case, the opinion was just issued a couple weeks ago. 214 pages.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:58 am

Lawof_theLand wrote:Yep, ready.

I beat the national rush on books and got my Contracts and Torts case books used with no markings for < $40.00 each.

The case for our orientation assignment was the McDonald v. Chicago 2nd and 14th amendment case, the opinion was just issued a couple weeks ago. 214 pages.
Did they really give you that casE? I looked at the orientation info not too long ago (maybe last week) and it has a case about a parrot as your assignment. that case is like 3 pages, and it is the same one we had to do. Are u sure u have to read 214 pages for orientation? I doubt they would do that to you.

Contracts is the best class in the world!Well... if you have Norberg as a professor.

Lawof_theLand

New

Post by Lawof_theLand » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:15 pm

They gave us two cases. The parrot was one and McDonald v. Chicago was the other.

--LinkRemoved--
Item #2.

I have Stone for contracts.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:44 pm

Lawof_theLand wrote:They gave us two cases. The parrot was one and McDonald v. Chicago was the other.

--LinkRemoved--
Item #2.

Haven't heard good things about her! lol... The ppl who took her know little more than offer+acceptance+consideration=contract. lol. But maybe they are just exaggerating.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:46 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
Lawof_theLand wrote:They gave us two cases. The parrot was one and McDonald v. Chicago was the other.

--LinkRemoved--
Item #2.

Haven't heard good things about her! lol... The ppl who took her know little more than offer+acceptance+consideration=contract. lol. But maybe they are just exaggerating.

Ive heard good things and yes we have to brief that monster of a case as well as the Parrot Case

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:18 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
Item #2.

Ive heard good things and yes we have to brief that monster of a case as well as the Parrot Case

briefing it is not a problem, the problem is reading it.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:09 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
Item #2.

ya its a beast, you think the syllabus contains all the pertinent information? Im actually starting it right now.

briefing it is not a problem, the problem is reading it.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:10 pm

What syllabus? (if the question was directed to me).

Look, one thing that happened to me the first week of my first year was that for torts and contracts I thought they had given us the assignment for the entire week, and it was actually the assignment for the FIRST DAY. My first week of law school was hell. I did not know how to read the cases; I did not understand crap... I was soooo lost, and when I realized I had only read for a day, well... let me just say that it was not pretty. Those two professors had not posted the assignments for the entire week, so if you think that the same thing may have happened this year, do yourselves a favor and email the professors asking them for the assignment for the entire week. It will help you!

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:27 pm

rbgrocio wrote:What syllabus? (if the question was directed to me).

Look, one thing that happened to me the first week of my first year was that for torts and contracts I thought they had given us the assignment for the entire week, and it was actually the assignment for the FIRST DAY. My first week of law school was hell. I did not know how to read the cases; I did not understand crap... I was soooo lost, and when I realized I had only read for a day, well... let me just say that it was not pretty. Those two professors had not posted the assignments for the entire week, so if you think that the same thing may have happened this year, do yourselves a favor and email the professors asking them for the assignment for the entire week. It will help you!

I meant the syllabus in the specific case... http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-1521.pdf

The advice is good though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:02 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:What syllabus? (if the question was directed to me).

I meant the syllabus in the specific case... http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-1521.pdf

The advice is good though.

No. Read the entire case. Even if the syllabus were to contain all relevant info. you do not want to get in the habit of doing that. If so, you may start thinking: why read the book if the supplement has all the important info? You can only learn how to understand cases by reading them. Read the whole thing now that you have two weeks to do so. It will only help you!

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:02 pm

Actually, if you want skip the syllabus and just read everything after that.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:19 pm

rbgrocio wrote:Actually, if you want skip the syllabus and just read everything after that.

Got it, actually it is very interesting...takes a little wading through for me, but the "ah ha" moments really make the case come together.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:48 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:Actually, if you want skip the syllabus and just read everything after that.

Got it, actually it is very interesting...takes a little wading through for me, but the "ah ha" moments really make the case come together.

hahaha! That's good! If it makes you feel better I'm studying for a professional responsibility final! Did you know that there are four exceptions to the attorney-client privilege? lol.

I'm sure you all will do better than I your first day. The first day of class my professor asked me, what's the cite for that case? and i understood "site" and I answered New York! lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:26 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:

hahaha! That's good! If it makes you feel better I'm studying for a professional responsibility final! Did you know that there are four exceptions to the attorney-client privilege? lol.

I'm sure you all will do better than I your first day. The first day of class my professor asked me, what's the cite for that case? and i understood "site" and I answered New York! lol.
I am sure if I was questioned my first class I would be destroyed lol.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:48 am

U guys will be fine! Really... there is a bunch of people who come from working for lawyers and with legal background who do horrible and others who know nothing but by the end of the semester seem to know everything... It is a matter of effort, and knowing what the professors want.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:41 pm

rbgrocio wrote:U guys will be fine! Really... there is a bunch of people who come from working for lawyers and with legal background who do horrible and others who know nothing but by the end of the semester seem to know everything... It is a matter of effort, and knowing what the professors want.

Thank you for the encouragement, although I am not nervous..I am stressed already, and you have helped a lot as well as flhealth.

I actually have a question. Will I look pretentious going to orientation in slacks and a dress shirt. I will be coming straight from work. I can bring clothes to change if you think that is the case. I don't want to look like a tool.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:22 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:U guys will be fine! Really... there is a bunch of people who come from working for lawyers and with legal background who do horrible and others who know nothing but by the end of the semester seem to know everything... It is a matter of effort, and knowing what the professors want.

Thank you for the encouragement, although I am not nervous..I am stressed already, and you have helped a lot as well as flhealth.

I actually have a question. Will I look pretentious going to orientation in slacks and a dress shirt. I will be coming straight from work. I can bring clothes to change if you think that is the case. I don't want to look like a tool.

No. Everyone dresses up for orientation. You would look bad if you did not wear slacks and a t-shirt. You may spot a few people wearing a tie, but that is a bit much. I will be wearing a suit but just because I am a student mentor and will be meeting with some students from the in-coming class. Everyone else wears business casual.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:53 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:

No. Everyone dresses up for orientation. You would look bad if you did not wear slacks and a t-shirt. You may spot a few people wearing a tie, but that is a bit much. I will be wearing a suit but just because I am a student mentor and will be meeting with some students from the in-coming class. Everyone else wears business casual.
If you were my mentor that would be funny. So don't wear a tie then or a jacket?

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:03 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:

If you were my mentor that would be funny. So don't wear a tie then or a jacket?
I think slacks with a dress shirt and nice shoes is good. That's what most people wore last year. At what time is your mentoring group or that info is not in your orientation packet? I know last year there were three mentors per group, and each group had like 15 ppl in it and then they would go eat pizza in a classroom, but I think this year they are doing it different, since I got an e-mail saying that I would be at a table... not sure what that means, but I'm sure I will figure it out by Thursday Aug. 12.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:17 pm

I actually have a question. Will I look pretentious going to orientation in slacks and a dress shirt. I will be coming straight from work. I can bring clothes to change if you think that is the case. I don't want to look like a tool.[/quote]

No. Everyone dresses up for orientation. You would look bad if you did not wear slacks and a t-shirt. You may spot a few people wearing a tie, but that is a bit much. I will be wearing a suit but just because I am a student mentor and will be meeting with some students from the in-coming class. Everyone else wears business casual.[/quote]

If you were my mentor that would be funny. So don't wear a tie then or a jacket?[/quote]

I think slacks with a dress shirt and nice shoes is good. That's what most people wore last year. At what time is your mentoring group or that info is not in your orientation packet? I know last year there were three mentors per group, and each group had like 15 ppl in it and then they would go eat pizza in a classroom, but I think this year they are doing it different, since I got an e-mail saying that I would be at a table... not sure what that means, but I'm sure I will figure it out by Thursday Aug. 12.[/quote]

I don't have any info that would help at this point but in any case I am excited.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:21 pm

of course they make the reading shorter after i read it twice.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”