Vanderbilt 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Grizz

Diamond

Re: Vanderbilt 2013

Post by Grizz » Wed May 05, 2010 5:30 pm

Rawlsian wrote:The class of 2013 website is up, but one of the pages for setting up your VUnet ID is moved/down. Anyone else having problems>?
Link?

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Wed May 05, 2010 5:32 pm

rad law wrote:
Rawlsian wrote:The class of 2013 website is up, but one of the pages for setting up your VUnet ID is moved/down. Anyone else having problems>?
Link?
NM, I figured it out.

Here's the link: http://law.vanderbilt.edu/prospective-s ... index.aspx

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed May 05, 2010 5:42 pm

Rawlsian wrote:
rad law wrote:
Link?
NM, I figured it out.

Here's the link: http://law.vanderbilt.edu/prospective-s ... index.aspx
Hey Rawlsian, did you get a link to this over email or did you just find it on your own?

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Wed May 05, 2010 5:46 pm

I received an email a little more than an hour ago. There was also a link for the facebook page and the registrar.

Anyways, I just set up my Vandy email account. :D

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed May 05, 2010 5:52 pm

Rawlsian wrote:I received an email a little more than an hour ago. There was also a link for the facebook page and the registrar.

Just did the same. Nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed May 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Rawlsian wrote:I received an email a little more than an hour ago. There was also a link for the facebook page and the registrar.

So I can't figure out how to log on to email. I may be stupid.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed May 05, 2010 6:02 pm

rad law wrote:

So I can't figure out how to log on to email. I may be stupid.
Nm figured it out.

pearl_earrings

Bronze

Post by pearl_earrings » Sun May 09, 2010 7:48 pm

It was kind of exciting to see the roommate list... we really are coming from everywhere!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon May 10, 2010 2:37 am

pearl_earrings wrote:It was kind of exciting to see the roommate list... we really are coming from everywhere!
Yeah agreed.

With just a bunch of names though, I still have no idea how to look for a roommate, or if I even want one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pearl_earrings

Bronze

Post by pearl_earrings » Tue May 11, 2010 9:12 pm

rad law wrote:
pearl_earrings wrote:It was kind of exciting to see the roommate list... we really are coming from everywhere!
Yeah agreed.

With just a bunch of names though, I still have no idea how to look for a roommate, or if I even want one.
Agreed. I've started browsing craigslist just to get a feel for what's out there. It seems there are a lot of 1 bedroom places available!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue May 11, 2010 9:24 pm

pearl_earrings wrote:
rad law wrote:
Yeah agreed.

Agreed. I've started browsing craigslist just to get a feel for what's out there. It seems there are a lot of 1 bedroom places available!
One bedroom would be nice for studying purposes, but it's probably cheaper to split with a roommate. I would wager that I won't study there much anyways, so getting at 1 bedroom would have less utility.

letsgo

New

Post by letsgo » Wed May 12, 2010 4:23 pm

Are they calling and emailing admits now. Have DM today...shd i expect a ding or WL then.....?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed May 12, 2010 5:25 pm

letsgo wrote:Are they calling and emailing admits now. Have DM today...shd i expect a ding or WL then.....?
Wrong thread bro. This is the admitted students' thread. I think all of us got in a long time ago.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

djgoldbe

Bronze

Post by djgoldbe » Tue May 18, 2010 5:08 pm

Any developments in everyone's housing search? I'm kind of grasping at straws in terms of where is good / where is not. You guys just using craigslist or what?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue May 18, 2010 7:09 pm

djgoldbe wrote:Any developments in everyone's housing search? I'm kind of grasping at straws in terms of where is good / where is not. You guys just using craigslist or what?
Mainly just looking at the Obiter Dictum and trying to find something within my price range, looking for a roommate, etc.

blueberrymuffin

New

Post by blueberrymuffin » Tue May 18, 2010 8:26 pm

I have an aunt an uncle who moved to the Nashville area a couple years ago, and they referred their realtor. You can find a real estate agent who works with rentals. This is my first time trying that route, but I had a bad experience trying to find grad school housing while in college. It's nice having some guidance re safe areas, practical commutes, and which places have water damage. I'm also prob not going to be in any of the really close housing since I'm trying to stay budget-friendly and won't have a roommate.

sdv

Bronze

Post by sdv » Tue May 18, 2010 8:34 pm

blueberrymuffin wrote:I have an aunt an uncle who moved to the Nashville area a couple years ago, and they referred their realtor. You can find a real estate agent who works with rentals. This is my first time trying that route, but I had a bad experience trying to find grad school housing while in college. It's nice having some guidance re safe areas, practical commutes, and which places have water damage. I'm also prob not going to be in any of the really close housing since I'm trying to stay budget-friendly and won't have a roommate.
I'm in the same boat - avoiding the close housing since I'm living alone and trying to keep costs down. I'm 99% committed to staying at the Lexington next year, in Bellevue - it was nicer than any other place I saw, close or farther out, with 800+ of square feet for less than 800 a month. Considering I currently live 15 miles from work and it feels like nothing, living 9 miles from campus doesn't seem like much of a big deal to me, especially for as nice of a place as it seems to be.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pearl_earrings

Bronze

Post by pearl_earrings » Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 pm

The Obiter Dictum has been super helpful. Along with google maps, it's an essential tool for the craigslist searching...
I'm curious to know why people are living alone or searching for roommates. I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a roommate, but it might be kind of nice to find someone in a different program. Are the students living alone doing so for the sake of peace and quiet?

sdv

Bronze

Post by sdv » Tue May 18, 2010 11:36 pm

pearl_earrings wrote:The Obiter Dictum has been super helpful. Along with google maps, it's an essential tool for the craigslist searching...
I'm curious to know why people are living alone or searching for roommates. I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a roommate, but it might be kind of nice to find someone in a different program. Are the students living alone doing so for the sake of peace and quiet?
I just happen to hate having a roommate - it's a total intrusion on my life and the stress and low QOL, combined with the comparatively poor grades I would undoubtedly suffer as a result, is not worth the potential $$ savings.

TheVoynichManuscript

New

Post by TheVoynichManuscript » Tue May 18, 2010 11:42 pm

rad law wrote:
djgoldbe wrote:Any developments in everyone's housing search? I'm kind of grasping at straws in terms of where is good / where is not. You guys just using craigslist or what?
Mainly just looking at the Obiter Dictum and trying to find something within my price range, looking for a roommate, etc.
I basically used the Obiter Dictum as well. I was kind of surprised, however, when I called a bunch of places today and found that a number of them had no more units available for rent or had like one room remaining (FWIW I was looking only at 1BR apartments). I know some complexes only require 30 or 60 days notice from their outgoing tenants, so it's possible more spaces will open up over the summer, but just a heads up for those who are still in the early stages of apartment hunting and are relying primarily on the properties described in the Obiter Dictum book.

Also, for those of you using Craigslist, there's an awesome website called Padmapper (http://www.padmapper.com) that takes listings from Craigslist and Apartments.com and plots them onto a Google map so that you can easily find places by geographic location.

blueberrymuffin

New

Post by blueberrymuffin » Wed May 19, 2010 11:58 am

pearl_earrings wrote:The Obiter Dictum has been super helpful. Along with google maps, it's an essential tool for the craigslist searching...
I'm married, and splitting rent with my husband doesn't really ease the financial situation. We will be living in different states until he finds a job, so there's a good chance we will be paying rent on two units for a while. In any case, I'm way too shy to room with someone I don't know at all.
TheVoynichManuscript wrote:I basically used the Obiter Dictum as well. I was kind of surprised, however, when I called a bunch of places today and found that a number of them had no more units available for rent or had like one room remaining (FWIW I was looking only at 1BR apartments). I know some complexes only require 30 or 60 days notice from their outgoing tenants, so it's possible more spaces will open up over the summer, but just a heads up for those who are still in the early stages of apartment hunting and are relying primarily on the properties described in the Obiter Dictum book.
I think that it is more difficult to find housing this time around because people are moving out of their water-damaged units into new apartments, and there is less housing available because of the flooding.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Thu May 20, 2010 4:09 pm

I'll be in Nashville house hunting this weekend. If anyone is gonna be in town and wants to grab a drink Saturday evening, drop me a PM.

iCrank

New

Post by iCrank » Fri May 21, 2010 11:10 am

I was in Nashville last weekend and did a bit of house hunting. I'm planning to live at the Groves Whitworth about 2 miles from campus. The Groves apartment units and the complex itself are really nice for the money, and it's the ideal distance away from campus if you ask me. I'm currently planning to room with another admit, but I'm all for economies of scales so I'm open to a 3rd roommate if any among you had your eye on the Groves as well.

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Mon May 24, 2010 5:22 pm

iCrank wrote:I was in Nashville last weekend and did a bit of house hunting. I'm planning to live at the Groves Whitworth about 2 miles from campus. The Groves apartment units and the complex itself are really nice for the money, and it's the ideal distance away from campus if you ask me. I'm currently planning to room with another admit, but I'm all for economies of scales so I'm open to a 3rd roommate if any among you had your eye on the Groves as well.
Mark me down for the Grove (Richland) as well. Beautiful area, like a mile from Harris Teeter Grocery, great facilities, etc... We'll have to have a move-in cookout in August; I imagine there will be several other new 1Ls as well.

djgoldbe

Bronze

Post by djgoldbe » Fri May 28, 2010 3:41 am

Rawlsian wrote:
iCrank wrote:I was in Nashville last weekend and did a bit of house hunting. I'm planning to live at the Groves Whitworth about 2 miles from campus. The Groves apartment units and the complex itself are really nice for the money, and it's the ideal distance away from campus if you ask me. I'm currently planning to room with another admit, but I'm all for economies of scales so I'm open to a 3rd roommate if any among you had your eye on the Groves as well.
Mark me down for the Grove (Richland) as well. Beautiful area, like a mile from Harris Teeter Grocery, great facilities, etc... We'll have to have a move-in cookout in August; I imagine there will be several other new 1Ls as well.
Anyone have any idea what the difference between the 2 Groves is? And/or availability?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”