Seattle University 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
uwb09

Silver

Seattle University 2013

Post by uwb09 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:35 pm

So after spending the weekend talking things over with friends and family, and evaluating my options, I'm about 95% positive I'll be attending Seattle University next fall.

Who else is attending?

also looks like there is a facebook group setup

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=225850308326

KIM_SAYS:

New

Re: Seattle University 2013

Post by KIM_SAYS: » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:36 pm

Attending regardless of the ridiculous tuition and the ridiculously low scholarship they offered (not to say that I'm not grateful). Excited!!!

AM05

New

Post by AM05 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:17 pm

I'll be attending! Yeah the tuition is a bit scary... I'm really excited though! Are any of you starting in the summer?

Me-a Culpa

Bronze

Post by Me-a Culpa » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:30 pm

Ahhhh.. what's another 150 of debt? It's like buying a house... in Seattle.

SunDevil21

New

Post by SunDevil21 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:55 am

Thanks
Last edited by SunDevil21 on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LadyLuck2010

New

Post by LadyLuck2010 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:11 am

I'll be there and couldn't be more excited! Oh and I'm starting in the summer. :D

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:25 am

I'll be going come fall as well! Still debating on the summer program, but I am for sure looking for a roommate. Hit me up if you're interested! I try to live fairly clean, I dont mind smoking as long as it's outside, drinking is of course ok. However, I do want the place to be quiet when it's time to study (which I'm sure won't be a problem :) ).

MisterChase

New

Post by MisterChase » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:38 am

Will most likely be attending! EXCITED!

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:59 am

SunDevil21 wrote:Thanks for starting the Seattle 2013 thread. I'll be starting in the Fall and paying sticker price, regardless of the excruciatingly high tuition. After analyzing the budget that Seattle U mailed out in my 'Financial Aid Award Letter' I came to the conclusion that a few thousand dollars can be saved in a number of different ways. First, the transportation expense of over $3,000 can be eliminated for those of us not bringing a car to Seattle and living the 'metro/downtown life' for 3 years (myself being one of them). Also, with living expenses totaling around $1,000 a month, money can be saved by moving in with a roommate or finding a solid deal on a studio apartment. After subtracting around $4,000 for these two items which can be saved upon, an adjusted tuition cost of $34,000 sounds a lot more reasonable (especially for a private law school in an area of the country I want to be in). I am trying to be as optimistic as possible as I bury myself in this daunting amount of debt!
I've been living off the metro system for the past 6 months, and I live 15 miles north of downtown Seattle right now (definitely moving close for school), the metro system out here is awesome and the buses are kept up very well. Seattle U provides a 25% subsidy for metro costs, so a monthly regional pass should cost around $60-75 depending on how far away you want to be able to travel. Definitely a very cost effective and very livable option.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Me-a Culpa

Bronze

Post by Me-a Culpa » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:31 am

uwb09 wrote: I've been living off the metro system for the past 6 months, and I live 15 miles north of downtown Seattle right now
Where? I'm in Mill Creek/Bothell area

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:37 am

Me-a Culpa wrote:
uwb09 wrote: I've been living off the metro system for the past 6 months, and I live 15 miles north of downtown Seattle right now
Where? I'm in Mill Creek/Bothell area
Kenmore, up and over the hill (228th) from Canyon Park

unsq312

New

Post by unsq312 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:47 pm

I'm paying full-price. It's super-expensive but it's where I wanna be. I know that's a lot of debt but the government has great repayment plans (see IBR plan) that make it doable.

stad2234

New

Post by stad2234 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:15 pm

Will definitely be attending this fall. Probably moving up there sometime towards the end of April and getting settled in before school starts. I'll be paying sticker for school, which is a little daunting. However, on the upside, it provides a great deal of motivation for me to work my ass of so I can land a solid job after graduation and make my student loan payments. Pretty excited / terrified about what the next few years have in store for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hannibalhamlin61

New

Post by hannibalhamlin61 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:52 am

unsq312 wrote:I'm paying full-price. It's super-expensive but it's where I wanna be. I know that's a lot of debt but the government has great repayment plans (see IBR plan) that make it doable.
stad2234 wrote:Will definitely be attending this fall. Probably moving up there sometime towards the end of April and getting settled in before school starts. I'll be paying sticker for school, which is a little daunting. However, on the upside, it provides a great deal of motivation for me to work my ass of so I can land a solid job after graduation and make my student loan payments. Pretty excited / terrified about what the next few years have in store for me.
For those that are paying sticker - what do your numbers look like?

xenoscs

New

Post by xenoscs » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Hello!

While I have not been a very active poster, I've been following the UW and SU threads for awhile.

I will be attending Seattle University in the fall - right now I live in Bothell / Mill Creek, so it is a great fit for me. Thanks for starting this thread, it's nice to have a place to converse with future fellow students.

stad2234

New

Post by stad2234 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:05 pm

my gpa and lsat were a 2.8X and 160, so there was a good chance I could have been rejected. I also applied to their business school w/ strong numbers (my gpa was significantly better b/c they only look at upper division coursework) and was accepted before I received a decision from the law school-not really sure if that made any difference though with the law school acceptance.

hannibalhamlin61

New

Post by hannibalhamlin61 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:12 pm

stad2234 wrote:my gpa and lsat were a 2.8X and 160, so there was a good chance I could have been rejected. I also applied to their business school w/ strong numbers (my gpa was significantly better b/c they only look at upper division coursework) and was accepted before I received a decision from the law school-not really sure if that made any difference though with the law school acceptance.
With an LSAT at their 75th, they didn't give you a dime? I'm just trying to gauge their willingness to hand out cash, given the surprisingly high tuition. What's your grand total for all 4 yrs in the joint program?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stad2234

New

Post by stad2234 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:45 pm

hannibalhamlin61 wrote:
stad2234 wrote:my gpa and lsat were a 2.8X and 160, so there was a good chance I could have been rejected. I also applied to their business school w/ strong numbers (my gpa was significantly better b/c they only look at upper division coursework) and was accepted before I received a decision from the law school-not really sure if that made any difference though with the law school acceptance.
With an LSAT at their 75th, they didn't give you a dime? I'm just trying to gauge their willingness to hand out cash, given the surprisingly high tuition. What's your grand total for all 4 yrs in the joint program?

Ya I didnt receive any scholarship offer with my initial acceptance. Which brings up a question of my own for everyone else here. Did you guys receive your initial scholarship offer with your acceptance letter or did it arrive a couple of weeks later?? Grand total will probably end up coming near 200k for loans. Although that is a substantial amount of debt Im not too concerned. If i graduate with solid numbers from the business school and law school I dont think I'll have any problem making loan payments with a little left over. I know a lot of people on this board spit a lot of doom and gloom about only going to a top program if you plan on taking on debt but I have a great deal of confidence in the fact that the economy will recover and that firms and corporations will start hiring again-especially by 2014.

unsq312

New

Post by unsq312 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:11 pm

My numbers are 155, and 3.43. Not great but it got me in. I'm paying full price. If I'm in a ton of debt and get a crappy job then I'll rely on the government IBR plan.

Also,
thoughts on taking the Sounder Commuter train? I'm wondering about getting from the King St station to the law school. For example, from Kent to the King St station it's only 25 min but how long will it take to get by bus to SU? Walking seems too far (and it's uphill). I want to live outside Seattle a little and SU subsidizes the train passes substantially but I don't want more than an hour commute. Has anyone taken the bus to/from the King St station and Seattle U? What about the light rail?

Thanks, this thread is very helpful.

KIM_SAYS:

New

Post by KIM_SAYS: » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:15 pm

My scholarship came with my initial acceptance. 3.5 GPA with a 157 LSAT. I got a $5000 scholarship but I negotiated it up to $6000...a whopping $1000 more but I'll take it.

seattlite

New

Post by seattlite » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:23 am

KIM_SAYS: wrote:My scholarship came with my initial acceptance. 3.5 GPA with a 157 LSAT. I got a $5000 scholarship but I negotiated it up to $6000...a whopping $1000 more but I'll take it.
Right now, it looks like I will be at Seattle U in the Fall. I haven't decided if I will be taking the summer class yet.

My scholarship also came with my acceptance (3.5 GPA, 162 LSAT), just like "KIM_SAYS". I will also be attending the scholarship dinner next week.

I am really excited about going to Seattle U! I was very, very impressed with the ASD and with the classes that I visited. SU also has an amazing reputation in the Seattle area so if you want to work in Seattle, SU is really top-notch...and it seems like SU is getting better and better each and every year.

I would highly recommend visiting SU if you are on the fence...it is an extremely impressive school. Visiting the classes was a highlight for me, as you get to see first-hand what it will be like for you next year when you are a student. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hannibalhamlin61

New

Post by hannibalhamlin61 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:20 am

KIM_SAYS: wrote:My scholarship came with my initial acceptance. 3.5 GPA with a 157 LSAT. I got a $5000 scholarship but I negotiated it up to $6000...a whopping $1000 more but I'll take it.
Are there any stipulations on this scholly?

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:48 am

I also successfully negotiated my scholarship up about 20% :D they seem to be pretty receptive when it comes to scholarship negotiations. Maybe they just want to see that you are actually taking them seriously, and not just sending them an app, hoping for massive money, then withdrawing when you don't get it in your acceptance packet.

Went down to the campus yesterday with my friend to just kind of walk around for an hour or so, first time i've really explored the full campus. The campus itself is pretty nice, most of the buildings look pretty good and the grounds are kept up well. Really like the big play field even though there wasn't anyone on it at the time. Wish the gym and basketball courts weren't a couple blocks away, but minor issues.

The brand new library/student center they are building looks amazing (frickin HUGE), and I love the fact that it's right across from the law school building. Will probably spend a lot of time in the law building, but it's nice to have a large undergrad library/student space to kind of get away to for change of scenary/unwinding.

LadyLuck2010

New

Post by LadyLuck2010 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:44 pm

So here's a question. For those of you who have already attended the Admitted Students Day/Open House, who is going to attend the "Spring Visit Day"? I just got the email and am wondering if it's worth my while to take the day off work and make another trip up to Seattle...don't know if anyone else is in the same boat.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:53 am

officially sent in the deposit yesterday.

not going to be able to make either ASD, so I am definitely going to try and make the spring day thing in May

one thing i've liked about Seattle U is their willingness to allow part time work, even allowing you to take day and night classes in your 2L and 3L years. Anyone considering working part time at all during 1L?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”