Texas 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
soonergirl

Bronze

Re: Texas 2013

Post by soonergirl » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:38 pm

sternc wrote:This has been discussed, but how is everyone buying their books? Are y'all just going through the university, half.com, amazon, or what? Do you think buying used books is a bad idea?
There's nothing wrong with used so long as you get the right edition. I got all mine through Amazon, some new some used. In some cases the new was cheaper than the used, which I thought was weird. The 2010 Constitutional Law supplement for section 1 wasn't available yet, as best as I could tell.

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:39 am

soonergirl wrote:
sternc wrote:This has been discussed, but how is everyone buying their books? Are y'all just going through the university, half.com, amazon, or what? Do you think buying used books is a bad idea?
There's nothing wrong with used so long as you get the right edition. I got all mine through Amazon, some new some used. In some cases the new was cheaper than the used, which I thought was weird. The 2010 Constitutional Law supplement for section 1 wasn't available yet, as best as I could tell.
I don't know about y'all, but having anyone else's highlights in my books would drive me crazy. I'll probably stay away from the used ones.

That said, have any of you tried renting textbooks (through, e.g., ecampus.com, which seems to have all the casebooks)? I was thinking I might buy everything besides casebooks, which I know I'll never need/want again after this semester. But if renting is going to be the same as buying secondhand (in terms of condition) and reselling, it may not be worth it.

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:09 am

For those of you who aren't aware, parking permits just went on sale for SJG, there were some spots left!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:36 am

mcflooter06 wrote:For those of you who aren't aware, parking permits just went on sale for SJG, there were some spots left!
just bought mine...ugh i hate seeing my bank account get closer and closer to 0

sternc

Bronze

Post by sternc » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:01 pm

What are the best hornbooks to buy? I see there are a few different types.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:23 pm

f0bolous wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:For those of you who aren't aware, parking permits just went on sale for SJG, there were some spots left!
just bought mine...ugh i hate seeing my bank account get closer and closer to 0
lol i almost shed a tear when i saw how mine was inching closer towards that area. at least we got a spot in a garage right next to our classes though!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:30 pm

Um, whats the difference between F, R and S permits. F is listed as waitlisted, but R isn't and when I click on it, it lists fall permits.

Am confused.

Oh wait, never mind. Found the guide.

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:36 pm

I got most of my books used at the bookstore - showed up early so I could pick through them and find the unmarked ones. Got a few on Amazon that were cheaper that way (priced them all at Amazon and the bookstore before purchasing). I ended up spending $600 total for all my books and study aids.

Speaking of study aids, which have you chosen? I got:

Civ Pro - the two Mullenix wrote that are on the courselist and the E&E
Contracts - Chirelstein and the E&E
Property - E&E

Don't have Torts or Con Law till next semester, but I picked up the E&E and Chemerinsky respectively cause I found them very cheap - and unmarked! - at Half Price Books.
Last edited by smokyroom26 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:38 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:I got most of my books used at the bookstore - showed up early so I could pick through them and find the unmarked ones. Got a few on Amazon that were cheaper that way (priced them all at Amazon and the bookstore before purchasing). I ended up spending $600 total for all my books and study aids.

Property - E&E

Don't have Torts or Con Law till next semester, but I picked up the E&E and Chemerinsky respectively cause I found them very cheap - and unmarked! - at Half Price Books.
looks like you're in section 3...which group are you in?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:40 pm

f0bolous wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:I got most of my books used at the bookstore - showed up early so I could pick through them and find the unmarked ones. Got a few on Amazon that were cheaper that way (priced them all at Amazon and the bookstore before purchasing). I ended up spending $600 total for all my books and study aids.

Property - E&E

I'm in Group C.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:45 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

Property - E&E

I'm in Group C.
ahh ok...i wonder if anyone here is one of the other 24 B people

macunaima

New

Post by macunaima » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:44 pm

f0bolous wrote: just bought mine...ugh i hate seeing my bank account get closer and closer to 0

Amen to that!! :shock:

M_F_F_L

New

Post by M_F_F_L » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:13 pm

Does anyone know when we get our loan disbursement for the semester? I probably won't be able to buy books until I get that money. :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PokerAlice

New

Post by PokerAlice » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:31 pm

Are any of you considering just buying a parking pass for the "C" Lots?

windowshopper

New

Post by windowshopper » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:47 pm

PokerAlice wrote:Are any of you considering just buying a parking pass for the "C" Lots?

I am. I'd rather walk than dish out an extra $500. I'm sure my wallet and my waistline will appreciate it. lol. I will be purchasing a C+ permit so that I can take advantage of the garage at night and on the weekend.
M_F_F_L wrote:Does anyone know when we get our loan disbursement for the semester? I probably won't be able to buy books until I get that money. :(
Same here. I have to wait till fin aid is disbursed to buy my books which means I'll be forced to shop at the Co-op. According to the Freshlaw Discussion Board, "financial aid will be released to students on or after August 17, 2010."

PokerAlice

New

Post by PokerAlice » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:42 pm

What do y'all think about buying Casebooks that are not the "latest edition," as required by most of the book lists? What is the risk? Anybody know what updates are made between editions?

soaponarope

Bronze

Post by soaponarope » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:21 am

PokerAlice wrote:What do y'all think about buying Casebooks that are not the "latest edition," as required by most of the book lists? What is the risk? Anybody know what updates are made between editions?

Terrible idea. And I doubt anyone would know the updates... if they did, well... they probably could circumvent law school and just take the bar.

The extra 50 bucks for the new editions ain't gonna kill ya. Brotha.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:52 am

Section 1, group B here.

Anyone know if there is anything we should be doing besides getting our ID cards? Tried checking with the registrar's office and they were just confused by the question.

macunaima

New

Post by macunaima » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:00 am

windowshopper wrote:
PokerAlice wrote:
M_F_F_L wrote:Does anyone know when we get our loan disbursement for the semester? I probably won't be able to buy books until I get that money. :(
Same here. I have to wait till fin aid is disbursed to buy my books which means I'll be forced to shop at the Co-op. According to the Freshlaw Discussion Board, "financial aid will be released to students on or after August 17, 2010."

Another money question: does anyone know when tuition is due? Presumably after the 17th, but does anyone know when?

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:38 am

f0bolous wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

Property - E&E

I'm in Group C.
ahh ok...i wonder if anyone here is one of the other 24 B people
I am! Hello fellow 3Ber!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:28 pm

soaponarope wrote:
PokerAlice wrote:What do y'all think about buying Casebooks that are not the "latest edition," as required by most of the book lists? What is the risk? Anybody know what updates are made between editions?

Terrible idea. And I doubt anyone would know the updates... if they did, well... they probably could circumvent law school and just take the bar.

differences are more like $100 per book. i ended up buying older editions for some of the books. casebooks don't change all that much from year-to-year, and on the off chance that you would need the new material (chances are slim because professors typically don't change their lecture year-to-year), i could always just go to the library and look it up. i ended up spending less than 300 total for all required and optional books.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

soaponarope

Bronze

Post by soaponarope » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:56 pm

f0bolous wrote:
soaponarope wrote:

differences are more like $100 per book. i ended up buying older editions for some of the books. casebooks don't change all that much from year-to-year, and on the off chance that you would need the new material (chances are slim because professors typically don't change their lecture year-to-year), i could always just go to the library and look it up. i ended up spending less than 300 total for all required and optional books.
I hear ya. I bought all my books used on Amazon, so the difference (for me at least) averaged around 50 dollars. I just think your first year is so important that it isn't worth the risk to save a couple bucks... even if it is $300. JMO

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:25 pm

Holy crap it's raining hard. Guess I will hold off on my bookstore visit.

Does anyone know how to set up your UT email? I went here: --LinkRemoved-- -- but all it does is lead me in circles without ever providing an opportunity to create anything.

M_F_F_L

New

Post by M_F_F_L » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:26 pm

rputt3256 wrote:FWIW: I called the residency office today and spoke with a representative. They said that UT won't be able to officially say whether our land will count towards residency until the law goes into effect in October.

On a positive note, he did mention that since numerous students have opted to establish residency via this route, they expect those of us who purchased our land pre-Oct to be grandfathered in. Hopefully the thought of hundreds of angry students storming the legislature for a "refund" will sway them to accept us as residents already! (gosh, texas must REALLY not want us here).

Assuming we do get grandfathered in next year, is there anything we need to do NOW besides just owning the land? For example, do we need to contact the residency office to let them know of what we are trying to do? The info I'm finding really unclear. Again, a big thanks goes out to all those who have been answering my annoying, newbie questions :D

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:13 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Holy crap it's raining hard. Guess I will hold off on my bookstore visit.

Does anyone know how to set up your UT email? I went here: --LinkRemoved-- -- but all it does is lead me in circles without ever providing an opportunity to create anything.
Hmm. That's the link I used to set mine up and I didn't have any problems.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”