Santa Clara Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
jpla

New

Re: Santa Clara Class of 2013

Post by jpla » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:51 pm

to focus on ip law at scu, would you have to be a major in engineering and/or one o the sciences? have taken prerequisite classes?

valley splitter

Bronze

Post by valley splitter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:26 pm

superflush wrote:
valley splitter wrote:Not sure yet. I wouldn't mind living ...
Okay, so you'd want to live in Santa Clara
Ideally, I would like to live in Santa Clara. There is something just so nice about getting out of bed and being able to walk to class. Plus everything I need is there - Safeway, Costco, plenty of restaurants, bars (all walking distance), and the school gym + pool. I hate to say this, too, but undergrads. I feel like it would be unwise to start hooking up with my classmates who could someday be my coworkers or be in a position to influence my career. Sticking to the undergrad population (just seniors) would not only be safe, but fun as I remember my days there and no one, literally no one, was looking for relationships or commitment.

snowbunny87

New

Post by snowbunny87 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:05 pm

superflush wrote:Who else has deposited at this point?

I think I'm going to try to hang around the Bay Area and swing back down for the ASD on the 17th.
put my deposit down, but haven't actually decided.

sorry, haven't been on this board a lot, what is ASD? i'm planning a visit before April 21st and just curious if it's better to go down when that is going on??

thanks!

valley splitter

Bronze

Post by valley splitter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:03 pm

ASD is Admitted Student Day. I believe there is one on Saturday, April 17 from 9:00 to 2:00. I got an email for brunch this weekend so I will most likely hit that up before I go up to the city for the Giants game.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:02 am

valley splitter wrote:ASD is Admitted Student Day. I believe there is one on Saturday, April 17 from 9:00 to 2:00. I got an email for brunch this weekend so I will most likely hit that up before I go up to the city for the Giants game.
This. I'm planning on going. Didn't get a brunch invite though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:03 am

jpla wrote:to focus on ip law at scu, would you have to be a major in engineering and/or one o the sciences? have taken prerequisite classes?
You would need that kind of a background for patents I believe, but you should be able to take IP classes without it.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:03 am

valley splitter wrote:Ideally, I would like to live in Santa Clara. There is something just so nice about getting out of bed and being able to walk to class. Plus everything I need is there - Safeway, Costco, plenty of restaurants, bars (all walking distance), and the school gym + pool. I hate to say this, too, but undergrads. I feel like it would be unwise to start hooking up with my classmates who could someday be my coworkers or be in a position to influence my career. Sticking to the undergrad population (just seniors) would not only be safe, but fun as I remember my days there and no one, literally no one, was looking for relationships or commitment.
Okay. The city of Santa Clara didn't strike me as too exciting. I think I'd rather live in Palo Alto, or maybe Mountain View.

valley splitter

Bronze

Post by valley splitter » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:08 pm

Palo Alto is nice and has a decent night life. Mountain View not so much. Still if I were planning on commuting I would just live in San Francisco because it has everything and the train takes about 45 minutes to get to school. I think I'm going to play it safe for 1L and live in Santa Clara.

jpla

New

Post by jpla » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:50 pm

gonna submit my deposit in a few days. looking for a roommate and a place to live, anyone else looking? whats this i hear about an optional orientation that is over a week long?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:46 pm

superflush wrote:
valley splitter wrote:Ideally, I would like to live in Santa Clara. There is something just so nice about getting out of bed and being able to walk to class. Plus everything I need is there - Safeway, Costco, plenty of restaurants, bars (all walking distance), and the school gym + pool. I hate to say this, too, but undergrads. I feel like it would be unwise to start hooking up with my classmates who could someday be my coworkers or be in a position to influence my career. Sticking to the undergrad population (just seniors) would not only be safe, but fun as I remember my days there and no one, literally no one, was looking for relationships or commitment.
Okay. The city of Santa Clara didn't strike me as too exciting. I think I'd rather live in Palo Alto, or maybe Mountain View.
Palo Alto is more exciting than Santa Clara, but Mountain View isn't.

I lived in MV for a while. The downtown (Castro Street) is nice, has a fair amount of Mediterranean restaurants and other places to eat that are good. However, there isn't really a big nightlife there...not one that I'd classify as better than Santa Clara. In that regard, Palo Alto > others.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:19 pm

valley splitter wrote:Palo Alto is nice and has a decent night life. Mountain View not so much. Still if I were planning on commuting I would just live in San Francisco because it has everything and the train takes about 45 minutes to get to school. I think I'm going to play it safe for 1L and live in Santa Clara.
hmmm
Great Satchmo wrote:Palo Alto is more exciting than Santa Clara, but Mountain View isn't.
I lived in MV for a while. The downtown (Castro Street) is nice, has a fair amount of Mediterranean restaurants and other places to eat that are good. However, there isn't really a big nightlife there...not one that I'd classify as better than Santa Clara. In that regard, Palo Alto > others.
Okay. I haven't really spent much time in Mountain View, but from driving down Castro St. it definitely looked like there was more going on than in Santa Clara.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:26 pm

jpla wrote:whats this i hear about an optional orientation that is over a week long?
I don't know. Tell us more.

snowbunny87

New

Post by snowbunny87 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:19 pm

valley splitter wrote:ASD is Admitted Student Day. I believe there is one on Saturday, April 17 from 9:00 to 2:00. I got an email for brunch this weekend so I will most likely hit that up before I go up to the city for the Giants game.
oohhh i don't remember hearing about this at all. was it an email?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

valley splitter

Bronze

Post by valley splitter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:35 am

snowbunny87 wrote:
oohhh i don't remember hearing about this at all. was it an email?
It was an email from a little while ago. I had to do a gmail search to find it. I went to the first one which was great, probably won't go to the second one as I assume it's the same thing. Judging from your name I'm guessing you hit up the mountain pretty often? That would be great cause I used to go up to Tahoe every weekend during undergrad (it's 3 hours flat from SCU), but it's cooled off a bit since my friends and I graduated. It'd be great to find some people who would be down to go up.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:58 am

jpla wrote:to focus on ip law at scu, would you have to be a major in engineering and/or one o the sciences? have taken prerequisite classes?
For IP, no you don't need engineering/science prereqs, but it will limit you.

For patent, yes you do.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:44 am

Maybe they only send the brunch invites to Bay Area natives.

ChEsteve

New

Post by ChEsteve » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:57 am

Hey valley splitter how did the first ASD go? I'm thinking of attending the second.
superflush wrote:Maybe they only send the brunch invites to Bay Area natives.
I'm in Los Angeles and I received an invite.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jpla

New

Post by jpla » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:16 am

superflush wrote:
jpla wrote:whats this i hear about an optional orientation that is over a week long?
I don't know. Tell us more.
when I was on my tour, our guide told us scu holds an extended orientation, optional. she said it was over a week long and introduces you to legal writing, how to read legal texts etc., assigns homework and helps you get going before classes actually begin. i havent seen any information of this on the website.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:28 am

ChEsteve wrote:Hey valley splitter how did the first ASD go? I'm thinking of attending the second.
superflush wrote:Maybe they only send the brunch invites to Bay Area natives.
I'm in Los Angeles and I received an invite.
Hm, maybe just CA natives. When and where is the brunch?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:29 am

I think I'm going to go to the day game next Wednesday. I'm looking at tickets on StubHub now.

valley splitter

Bronze

Post by valley splitter » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:35 am

Sunday, 11:00 to 1:00 in the Adobe Lodge. I think you had to RSVP by yesterday, but I don't think they'd care either way. Last Admitted Student Day there was definitely some extra space and they had plenty of food and booze left over at the end. I'd say go for it, I saw some people just come in last second and just get a nametag. If you decide to get post it maybe we can meet up. Be nice to finally put a face to a screen name. I might be going to one of those games next week not sure when though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:44 am

valley splitter wrote:Sunday, 11:00 to 1:00 in the Adobe Lodge. I think you had to RSVP by yesterday, but I don't think they'd care either way. Last Admitted Student Day there was definitely some extra space and they had plenty of food and booze left over at the end. I'd say go for it, I saw some people just come in last second and just get a nametag. If you decide to get post it maybe we can meet up. Be nice to finally put a face to a screen name. I might be going to one of those games next week not sure when though.
I will definitely go to the ASD on the 17th. I don't know if anybody here is planning to attend.

ChEsteve

New

Post by ChEsteve » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:00 am

superflush wrote:
valley splitter wrote:Sunday, 11:00 to 1:00 in the Adobe Lodge. I think you had to RSVP by yesterday, but I don't think they'd care either way. Last Admitted Student Day there was definitely some extra space and they had plenty of food and booze left over at the end. I'd say go for it, I saw some people just come in last second and just get a nametag. If you decide to get post it maybe we can meet up. Be nice to finally put a face to a screen name. I might be going to one of those games next week not sure when though.
I will definitely go to the ASD on the 17th. I don't know if anybody here is planning to attend.
I am also going to attend. Still haven't decided whether to fly or drive up there (coming from LA) :?

chibichanman

New

Post by chibichanman » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:05 pm

Hello SCU 2013!

I am interested in finding roomies for the next year and beyond.

I'm a CA native, and have been living in the bay area for a while (moved for work). So if you have questions on the general area, let me know and I'll try to answer your questions.

I'll be looking for a house, 3+ bedrooms. Having a house with a lot of room will definitely reduce the stress of dealing with parking issues at an apartment complex or noise issues with neighbors.

For those that are looking for a "college town," the entire Bay Area is awful at it, anywhere. This has been discussed amongst many of my friends and it is basically generally accepted.

If you haven't yet, join the 2013 class Facebook group as you can put faces to names and future classmates! If you're interested in possibly rooming, send me a message. Male or female, it doesn't matter, but ideally someone who knows they'll be staying at SCU for the next 3 years and will be finding work nearby during the summers or doesn't mind subletting. I do have preferences, which can be discussed in private.

Enjoy the time until the Fall!

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:42 pm

Hey everyone!

I will be attending in the fall and I faced some serious sticker shock when looking at apartments today and I looked at the on-campus housing and am not impressed. Anyone know of some nice places to live that won't bankrupt me? Or, how is everyone finding potential housing?

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”