UConn Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Burger in a can

Silver

Re: UConn Class of 2013

Post by Burger in a can » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:46 pm

dakatz wrote:They offered me a scholarship for full first year tuition, but the letter says the scholarship is non-renewable. So I would have to pay full price the final two years? Gimme a break. I'll withdraw soon so someone else can get that money. Dumb way of structuring scholarship offer.
Dumb post to put in a 'class of 2013' thread... :)

Try this one instead: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =7&t=96639

novaUGuconnPG

New

Post by novaUGuconnPG » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:16 pm

any current students or recent grads have anything to share regarding housing? i have been to the area a few times and really like the town where all the restaurants and such are. is that where the bars are as well? i saw online places like brooksyde and westgate apartments, which seem like perfectly fine and reasonable options in terms of price and distance, but are they in good locations? i guess if i had my druthers i would love to find a 2 or 3 bedroom apartments in that neighborhood in the range of 1200-1500 a month. any thoughts at all from people in the know would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:34 am

The town with the restaurants you're talking about is West Hartford Center. If you're looking for good neighborhoods near the law school, my advice is to stay north of Farmington Avenue and west of Woodland Street. In my limited experience I have found that when it comes to West Hartford and the West End, the further south and east you go, the less nice it becomes. But I would love to hear from people who know what they're talking about-- current Hartford natives, please chime in! :)

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:12 am

Yes, I've been wondering about decent places to live too. I'm going apartment hunting ASD weekend. I asked this before, but no one answered! Can anyone tell me if Asylum Ave to the east of campus is dangerous???

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:08 pm

There is now a UConn Law Class of 2013 Facebook group.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:33 pm

can you post a link? Is it the one that was for admitted Fall 2009 students, the U Conn 2012/2013 group? I think we should have our own group! lol

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:47 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:can you post a link? Is it the one that was for admitted Fall 2009 students, the U Conn 2012/2013 group? I think we should have our own group! lol
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=104997472870471

It's for us. I started it.

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:55 pm

cool, thanks! I'll have to wait a while to join to keep my anonymity so you can't figure out who I am lol :P :oops:

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:59 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:cool, thanks! I'll have to wait a while to join to keep my anonymity so you can't figure out who I am lol :P :oops:
haha that's why I made a fake facebook profile to start the group! I didn't want to be the first... I am hoping to wait until other people join before joining with my actual facebook profile. :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:03 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
Lighthouse28 wrote:cool, thanks! I'll have to wait a while to join to keep my anonymity so you can't figure out who I am lol :P :oops:
haha that's why I made a fake facebook profile to start the group! I didn't want to be the first... I am hoping to wait until other people join before joining with my actual facebook profile. :oops:
lol I was wondering about that, cause I know you didn't want to start it either. Now you will have to sign on with your fake account to make updates and all too! so don't lose the password :P

novaUGuconnPG

New

Post by novaUGuconnPG » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:05 pm

haha i requested to join under my real name. i've given up anonymity in this day and age. also, the fact that it's a private group makes it easier to give up my name...

ejed09

New

Post by ejed09 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:Yes, I've been wondering about decent places to live too. I'm going apartment hunting ASD weekend. I asked this before, but no one answered! Can anyone tell me if Asylum Ave to the east of campus is dangerous???
Not a uconn law student, but i grew up in CT and am quite familiar with the area... a good rule of thumb is that the further east you are (and thus closer to Hartford) the more sketchy the area. The immediate area around the school is fine, but there is a pretty sharp cutoff between the safe and more dangerous part of town... but i personally wouldn't look for housing on asylum ave heading towards hartford... i suggest the area to the west of campus (west hartford).... i recommend living around west hartford center if you have a car-- it has a great assortment of restaurants, bars, shopping and is very safe!

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:16 pm

ejed09 wrote:
Lighthouse28 wrote:Yes, I've been wondering about decent places to live too. I'm going apartment hunting ASD weekend. I asked this before, but no one answered! Can anyone tell me if Asylum Ave to the east of campus is dangerous???
Not a uconn law student, but i grew up in CT and am quite familiar with the area... a good rule of thumb is that the further east you are (and thus closer to Hartford) the more sketchy the area. The immediate area around the school is fine, but there is a pretty sharp cutoff between the safe and more dangerous part of town... but i personally wouldn't look for housing on asylum ave heading towards hartford... i suggest the area to the west of campus (west hartford).... i recommend living around west hartford center if you have a car-- it has a great assortment of restaurants, bars, shopping and is very safe!
Thanks. But most of the apartments on apartments.com seem to be to the east of campus :( where can I look for apartments? Gonna be there ASD weekend looking for a place. Tips would be GREATLYYYY appreciated!!! I just want a decent one bedroom apartment in a safe area, with rent of no more than $700. I have a cat as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
lol I was wondering about that, cause I know you didn't want to start it either. Now you will have to sign on with your fake account to make updates and all too! so don't lose the password :P
I was thinking other people might eventually want to help out and become Admins for the group, and then my fake facebook account can just sort of lie dormant... at least I hope that's how it will work.

Leira

New

Post by Leira » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:50 pm

Are all of you attending ASD? How many of you are planning on attending breakfast with the dean? Are you bringing significant others with you? I will be at both with my fiance. What do you think about dress code? I was planning on khakis and a nice sweater. First time around with all of this...hope I don't sound too spastic!

nycmba

New

Post by nycmba » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:12 pm

Leira wrote:Are all of you attending ASD? How many of you are planning on attending breakfast with the dean? Are you bringing significant others with you? I will be at both with my fiance. What do you think about dress code? I was planning on khakis and a nice sweater. First time around with all of this...hope I don't sound too spastic!
My saturday morning breakfast attire usually entails my smoking jacket, pipe and tuxedo slippers. I generally read my many leather-bound books in my rich mahogany-smelling library while enjoying my espresso touched off with a drop of anisette.

Your attire will be fine. Remember the school is trying to court us--not the other way around. I'll be in jeans with a blazer--but I'm leaving the tuxedo slippers at home.

Leira

New

Post by Leira » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:16 pm

Wait...NO tuxedo slippers? I most certainly will be wearing my tuxedo slippers. Like you said, they are courting us...and if they want me, then they want me tuxedo slippers and all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:02 pm

I was planning on wearing dark wash jeans, nice shoes, and a nice shirt. :oops:

also, after breakfast, we gotta go to campus for the other stuff, right? does anyone know what time breakfast ends at? cause my mom will probably take the car and drop me off and go around town or something. or maybe I can catch a ride with someone from breakfast to campus? :D :oops: any idea how far apart the two locations are?? and how much time we have in-between ? Thanks!

nycmba

New

Post by nycmba » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:24 pm

Leira wrote:Wait...NO tuxedo slippers? I most certainly will be wearing my tuxedo slippers. Like you said, they are courting us...and if they want me, then they want me tuxedo slippers and all.
I just spoke to Buffy and Chad at the Yale club. They said it is très gauche to show up at a public law school with formal attire.
Last edited by nycmba on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

afghan007

Bronze

Post by afghan007 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:29 pm

Lighthouse28 wrote:I was planning on wearing dark wash jeans, nice shoes, and a nice shirt. :oops:

also, after breakfast, we gotta go to campus for the other stuff, right? does anyone know what time breakfast ends at? cause my mom will probably take the car and drop me off and go around town or something. or maybe I can catch a ride with someone from breakfast to campus? :D :oops: any idea how far apart the two locations are?? and how much time we have in-between ? Thanks!
about a 5 min drive between the breakfast and the program. 30 minute gap between the two events

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:53 am

afghan007 wrote:
Lighthouse28 wrote:I was planning on wearing dark wash jeans, nice shoes, and a nice shirt. :oops:

about a 5 min drive between the breakfast and the program. 30 minute gap between the two events
cool, thanks! That'll give me enough time to get there then, hopefully!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lallygag

New

Post by lallygag » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:40 am

Leira- Your attire sounds fine. Casual nice.

I will also be attending breakfast with the Dean, should be interesting...

I want to "explore" the city of Hartford after our ASD is over. Anyone have any ideas on what to do in Hartford, besides the Art Museum? I'll be coming from Boston so I won't be in too much of a rush to leave and I want to check out my future home for the next 3 years....

mes2010

New

Post by mes2010 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:11 pm

Go to the new CT Science Center

http://www.ctsciencecenter.org/

Leira

New

Post by Leira » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:44 pm

Lallygag-
I am assuming you are coming down I84 from the pike. I would look into Rein's Deli in Vernon. It is awesome. Also, West Hartford Center and Blueback square have some great shopping and food. For food in downtown Hartford my sister raves about Trumbull Kitchen and Vito's on the park.

AustinOrgans

New

Post by AustinOrgans » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:46 pm

Tisane's is a cool tea/coffee bar near the law school campus.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”