Brooklyn 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
HotChocolateLoving

New

Re: Brooklyn 2013

Post by HotChocolateLoving » Thu May 20, 2010 9:56 am

Hey,
I'm an Irish Law Student coming over next year on the International programme, just got a place in Feil Hall which is pretty handy! Just wondering about what the social life is like, where's good to go eat and drink nearby and stuff?

Also I hope that room number thing isn't like that, I'm 2 something-something (actually just forgotten not a privacy freak), I thought Feil Hall was supposed to have freakishly nice views and the likes?

Thanks in advance for the help!

heybrooklyn

New

Post by heybrooklyn » Thu May 20, 2010 1:24 pm

I'll be joining all of you at Brooklyn! I'm from Washington State...any out of state people?

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Thu May 20, 2010 2:21 pm

HotChocolateLoving wrote:Hey,
I'm an Irish Law Student coming over next year on the International programme, just got a place in Feil Hall which is pretty handy! Just wondering about what the social life is like, where's good to go eat and drink nearby and stuff?

Also I hope that room number thing isn't like that, I'm 2 something-something (actually just forgotten not a privacy freak), I thought Feil Hall was supposed to have freakishly nice views and the likes?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Excellent. Will you be considered a 1L or will you only be here for a year as an exchange?

There is plenty to do here and a lively social scene (it's NYC after all). You're only a very short subway ride from Manhattan. As for Brooklyn, try the Google Maps Street View for Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO, Fort Greene, Carroll Gardens and Park Slope. These are all nearby Brooklyn neighborhoods. Downtown Brooklyn kind of sucks, IMHO, but everything around it is fantastic--plenty of restaurants, bars, etc. There is a 'traditional' Irish Pub six or seven blocks from campus. Having never been to Ireland, I'd be interested to know what you think of it!

As for floor/room assignments, I think "12A" means floor 12, apartment A. And I suspect that "12A2" would mean floor 12, apartment A, room #2. Jennifer Lang, the Campus Services Director, is very nice and can easily confirm if you send her an email.

x3sarah

New

Post by x3sarah » Thu May 20, 2010 6:32 pm

Bline001 wrote:I'll be getting married the week before Orientation. Should make for a short honeymoon!

Wish I was living in any of the BLS housing, it is all beautiful. Unfortunately, my fiancee works in Jersey City so I will be making the 45ish minute commute every morning.

Anyone else commuting?
Congrats on the wedding! I currently live in Chelsea and considering it would be cheaper to stay in my current apartment, I will be a fellow commuter. :)

heybrooklyn

New

Post by heybrooklyn » Tue May 25, 2010 3:28 pm

x3sarah wrote:
Bline001 wrote:I'll be getting married the week before Orientation. Should make for a short honeymoon!

Wish I was living in any of the BLS housing, it is all beautiful. Unfortunately, my fiancee works in Jersey City so I will be making the 45ish minute commute every morning.

Anyone else commuting?
Congrats on the wedding! I currently live in Chelsea and considering it would be cheaper to stay in my current apartment, I will be a fellow commuter. :)
I'll be living off campus and commuting from West Village, it wasn't that bad though, maybe 15-20 min

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed May 26, 2010 5:02 pm

any word on when we'll be getting our schedules?

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Wed May 26, 2010 5:35 pm

goosey wrote:any word on when we'll be getting our schedules?
Late July.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed May 26, 2010 5:41 pm

sophistry wrote:
Late July.
oh wow thats late

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Wed May 26, 2010 6:07 pm

goosey wrote:
sophistry wrote:
Late July.
oh wow thats late
I know, right? I was hoping to get a head start on buying used books. I'm also itching to find out who my section buddies will be.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed May 26, 2010 7:03 pm

sophistry wrote:
I know, right? I was hoping to get a head start on buying used books. I'm also itching to find out who my section buddies will be.
same. I also really want to know what my schedule will be like

Steve Zissou

New

Post by Steve Zissou » Thu May 27, 2010 6:11 pm

My most pressing concern at this moment is whether or not we have class on Fridays.

Seems like something I should already know. But I don't know anyone that goes to BLS.

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Fri May 28, 2010 10:56 am

Oooo, yes, Fridays off would be nice. I actually asked a student about this earlier and they said they had every other Friday off during 1L. (But they also said it depends on the professor/class too.)

Btw, is anyone considering working a few hours a week during 1L? I wonder if a couple four hour shifts at a lonely reception desk would be so bad?

corporate70s

New

Post by corporate70s » Sun May 30, 2010 11:58 pm

I just saw that many people have already receive their housing assignments.
I turned in my application and deposit by the May 1st deadline and I STILL haven't heard anything!!!
I am freaking out!!!!! Did they forget to include me in the lottery or something? They never got back to me. But webadvisor says my application was received 4/29/10.
I really wanted to be in Feil Hall.
I am going to call them as soon as they housing office opens Monday morning.
Did everyone receive the assignments??????

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

loklinspirit126

New

Post by loklinspirit126 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:32 am

i got my housing assignment like two weeks ago via email, got a high floor L-studio...nice but pricey....

nyknyygiants

New

Post by nyknyygiants » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:38 am

I got L-Studio plus in Feil. Just looked at the floor plans, really nice apartment.

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:40 pm

nyknyygiants wrote:I got L-Studio plus in Feil. Just looked at the floor plans, really nice apartment.

Same here. I'm excited about it. Though I was disappointed to discover that "furnished" does not included a TV, silverware/plates/glasses, coffee maker etc. I was looking forward to getting rid of almost everything I own and starting fresh. I guess I'm going to be using the same spaghetti pot I've had for six years...

ligirl

New

Post by ligirl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:00 pm

IF you're taking loans.. does everyones loans say "pending" on the web advisor?? When do we sign for the loans, etc..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:12 pm

ligirl wrote:IF you're taking loans.. does everyones loans say "pending" on the web advisor?? When do we sign for the loans, etc..
It's my understanding that they haven't finalized the cost of attendance (COA) yet. Until they finalize the COA, no loans can be given. I think this is a federal regulation. If you haven't already done it, make sure you head over to studentloans.gov and fill out the GradPLUS application, entrance counseling and the MPN. It will help speed things up once they get the COA finalized.

And yes, it's ridiculous that they still haven't told us how much it will cost to attend.

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:55 pm

I called the school today, they said the COA will be out next week. They couldn't/wouldn't give me an exact day.

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:49 pm

COA has been posted.

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:COA has been posted.
Thanks for the update, Pablo.

I'm trying to figure out how we're supposed to live on $20/day in NYC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:37 pm

sophistry wrote:
Mr. Pablo wrote:COA has been posted.
Thanks for the update, Pablo.

I'm trying to figure out how we're supposed to live on $20/day in NYC.
You won't be living. You will be studying.

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:02 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:
sophistry wrote: I'm trying to figure out how we're supposed to live on $20/day in NYC.
You won't be living. You will be studying.
I was hoping to occasionally study while sipping a drink at Clover Club, but I guess that's out of the question.... One drink would be half my daily budget.

TTTGrad

New

Post by TTTGrad » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:37 am

I would like to extend my congratulations to the incoming class of this festering toilet. Queen Joan Wexler has decided to raise tuition to $46K a year, making Crooklyn Law the most expensive toilet in the nation. Now you can enjoy the privilege of telling your friends, family and loved ones that you attend one of the most expensive dumps in the entire world. Personally, I would rather buy the Brooklyn Bridge than pay for a credit at Crooklyn Law.

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:38 pm

TTTGrad wrote:I would like to extend my congratulations to the incoming class.
Thanks TTTGrad!

Mods?? Who the fuck is this guy and why hasn't he been banned already?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”