Penn State Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
jvc

New

Re: Penn State Class of 2013

Post by jvc » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:14 pm

Joeshaeff wrote:Hi everyone, just got off the wait list for UP so I am sort of scrambling to find housing...anyone have anything available? I'm going to try to get into the white coarse apartments but I'm guessing that is pretty doubtful...anyway, any help would be great...Thanks
I know that the Facebook group that was just posted on here has a few law students looking for roommates. Here it is again:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/gro ... 097&ref=ts

On another note, I'm happy that this thread seems to be taking off now. It was pretty slow and dismal there for awhile.

I'm very excited to begin next month but I also have to admit I've been becoming progressively more nervous over the past couple of weeks. Am I the only one?

jrjd28

New

Post by jrjd28 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:37 pm

You're definitely not the only one. Just try to focus on the total awesomeness of this opportunity. Another law student told me to remember any idiot lawyers I know or have heard about. If they can get through it, so can you.

jvc

New

Post by jvc » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:52 pm

jrjd28 wrote:You're definitely not the only one. Just try to focus on the total awesomeness of this opportunity. Another law student told me to remember any idiot lawyers I know or have heard about. If they can get through it, so can you.
Haha! No, I'm not, like, freaking out or anything. I basically meant I have a lot of nervous energy as we approach the starting gate. A "butterflies in the stomach" kind of thing. I didn't mean to overstate it. However, if I feel like I am going to have a Britney Spears style nervous breakdown between now and orientation, I'll be sure to use your advice. Thanks.

I'll also have my girlfriend hide the hair clippers now.

Kern

New

Post by Kern » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:22 am

I just got another packet from the law school today! I am curious what others are doing for health insurance just because I didn't expect it to cost so much.

Shifty

New

Post by Shifty » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:02 pm

It may not be universal but it’s certainly worth looking into:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/03/18/ ... index.html

I don’t know if at this point it’s common knowledge, but the gist of it is that you can remain under your parent’s health insurance until you’re 26. It doesn’t automatically take effect, but the employer has from now until January 1st, 2011 (To the best of my knowledge) to comply with the new regulations. Incidentally, I only intend on picking up 6 months of insurance before returning to my parent's plan.

Hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:39 pm

I got the packet too...I love that we have homework already haha. It's good to know the orientation schedule...it makes me even more excited to move and start school :)

Sharahy

New

Post by Sharahy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:59 am

What is in the packet? I am away on a vacation and will not return home until next week. Is there anything in there that needs to be taken care of right away?

JohnnyDarko

New

Post by JohnnyDarko » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Sharahy wrote:What is in the packet? I am away on a vacation and will not return home until next week. Is there anything in there that needs to be taken care of right away?
Most of the information that was in the packet can be found here:

--LinkRemoved--

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:09 pm

Sharahy wrote:What is in the packet? I am away on a vacation and will not return home until next week. Is there anything in there that needs to be taken care of right away?
Pretty much everything is online. Most things cant be taken care of until we get a PSU ID and password anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sharahy

New

Post by Sharahy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:50 pm

Do we have to wait to get to get an ID card at State College to activate our ID/Password? Or is there some way to do it online before you receive your ID card?

AG2152

New

Post by AG2152 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:58 pm

You do have to be in State College to get the ID. I don't believe we even get the email until Orientation. Either way, it cannot be done without you physically being present.

Kennexboy

New

Post by Kennexboy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:51 pm

Sharahy wrote:Do we have to wait to get to get an ID card at State College to activate our ID/Password? Or is there some way to do it online before you receive your ID card?
You have to be at PSU to get your ID and password b/c you have to digital sign something after you watch a quick video about the rules and regulations of PSU internet access. After that it will give you what you need to get into your account.

Sharahy

New

Post by Sharahy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:05 pm

Wow, I just looked at the books for the first term. Very expensive at the bookstore. Are you guys thinking of going the online route from other providers for your books? It makes me nervous for the first term, I haven't had the best of luck with it in the past.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gewbert

New

Post by gewbert » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:36 am

Yes, you should be able to get a few off Amazon, for example. Save about $75-100 total.

Also, anyone in Carlisle yet? Looking to hang out with some people, so let me know if you are!

triathlete0128

New

Post by triathlete0128 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:44 pm

how did you get your schedule/know which books you need? i was told we don't find that out until orientation?

Kern

New

Post by Kern » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:30 pm

To see your schedule and the book list log on to the elion student page using a friends of penn state login and password.

Used or New books? I would normally get used but a book I read (law school confidential) recommended getting all new books. What do you guys think?

Kennexboy

New

Post by Kennexboy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:07 pm

I got new books last year b/c i wanted all the highlights and notes in the margins to be my notes and not someone else's.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:32 am

I'm really happy with my schedule! My earliest class on MWF is 9:45, while my earliest on TR is 11:15 and I am done by 3:45 each day. Anyone else have a similar schedule?

And my books came out to be about $750 if I purchase them all new. Does anyone know what condition (amount of notes and highlighting) "used' is when it comes from the bookstore?

gewbert

New

Post by gewbert » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:07 am

my guess is that it'll vary from book to book. some people take lots of notes while others don't (at least this was my experience with used books in undergrad, law school books probably have more notes on average).

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:32 am

gewbert wrote:my guess is that it'll vary from book to book. some people take lots of notes while others don't (at least this was my experience with used books in undergrad, law school books probably have more notes on average).
I think I am just going to go with all new for the first semester at least. I am going to add them to my student bill anyway and the $700-800 they will cost is a lot less than the estimated $1456 on the cost of attendance page, so I guess I can deal with it haha.

Kennexboy

New

Post by Kennexboy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:53 am

jbarl1 wrote:
gewbert wrote:my guess is that it'll vary from book to book. some people take lots of notes while others don't (at least this was my experience with used books in undergrad, law school books probably have more notes on average).
I think I am just going to go with all new for the first semester at least. I am going to add them to my student bill anyway and the $700-800 they will cost is a lot less than the estimated $1456 on the cost of attendance page, so I guess I can deal with it haha.
I think the $1456 is for two semesters, not just one.

Also, from the law school books I have seen there is lots of highlighting. He is what i would recommend if you want used books. Get your PSU ID early, and then go to the bookstore where you can scan your ID into a computer which will give you your book list. AFter that, you can go thru all the used books and find the one that is in the best condition. I would do this sooner rather than later so you have more to choose from.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Kennexboy wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:
I think the $1456 is for two semesters, not just one.

Also, from the law school books I have seen there is lots of highlighting. He is what i would recommend if you want used books. Get your PSU ID early, and then go to the bookstore where you can scan your ID into a computer which will give you your book list. AFter that, you can go thru all the used books and find the one that is in the best condition. I would do this sooner rather than later so you have more to choose from.
You are right about the $1456...that was a "duh" moment for me haha. They will let you look through the used books? At my UG you just had to choose used and they would pick them for you. I will be moving to UP this Wednesday and could easily get to the bookstore on Thursday. I think I will try what you suggested, thanks for the advice!

Kennexboy

New

Post by Kennexboy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:58 pm

hey guys,

So just to let you all who are in town know, a bunch of us 2Ls who are in town at UP are going be at Bill Pickles Tap Room (corner of College ave and Allen street) at 9:30pm this Friday night. Feel free to join us. If you need anymore information just send me a message and ill get ya the information.

Hope to see ya there!

Sharahy

New

Post by Sharahy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:26 am

Is anyone else getting emails about accessing assignments through ANGEL? If so, how do we acess that?

jrjd28

New

Post by jrjd28 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:56 am

Haven't received that e-mail but will keep an eye out for it.

Anyone going to the meet-and-greet on Tuesday?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”