WUSTL Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
sibley

Gold

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:03 pm

stratocophic wrote:Deposit down. Probably won't need the refund, but it's a nice option to have just in case :?
congrats on your semi-permanent decision =)
visiting tomorrow!!eeeep

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm probably headed to WUSTL in the fall too, although I'm still waiting to hear from six schools.

I went to UG at WUSTL, so if anybody would like housing recommendations, feel free to PM me. The most popular areas are probably the Loop (pretty cheap, especially with roommates, pretty safe area too, is patrolled by WU PD), Central West End (slightly more expensive, can be dangerous), and the area to the north west of campus (the neighborhood doesn't have a name if I recall, but it is around Hanley and Delmar).

Another nice and reasonably priced area (especially with roommates) is Brentwood Forest. It isn't popular among undergraduates, but it is among graduates and young professionals. It is a HUGE managed condo / townhouse community. Singles are expensive (around $600 per month) but two and three bedrooms aren't bad with roommates (around $800 per month), and it is in a safe area. Most utilities are included. It is about a ten minute drive from campus though, but it is a very cool area, and it is pretty close to the metrolink.

Lalalawyer0102

New

Post by Lalalawyer0102 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:54 pm

sibley wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Deposit down. Probably won't need the refund, but it's a nice option to have just in case :?
visiting tomorrow!!eeeep
I visited the week before admitted students’ day and I was really glad that I went on my own. I had an opportunity to meet with professors, the dean and various students one on one. I had conservations and students were really honest with me as we discussed the pros and cons. I think I got a better feel for the school visiting by myself. It definitely helped me with my decision. Wash U is at the top of my list. I hope your visit goes well!

mbaino

New

Post by mbaino » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:57 pm

theantiscalia wrote:I'm probably headed to WUSTL in the fall too, although I'm still waiting to hear from six schools.

I went to UG at WUSTL, so if anybody would like housing recommendations, feel free to PM me. The most popular areas are probably the Loop (pretty cheap, especially with roommates, pretty safe area too, is patrolled by WU PD), Central West End (slightly more expensive, can be dangerous), and the area to the north west of campus (the neighborhood doesn't have a name if I recall, but it is around Hanley and Delmar).

Another nice and reasonably priced area (especially with roommates) is Brentwood Forest. It isn't popular among undergraduates, but it is among graduates and young professionals. It is a HUGE managed condo / townhouse community. Singles are expensive (around $600 per month) but two and three bedrooms aren't bad with roommates (around $800 per month), and it is in a safe area. Most utilities are included. It is about a ten minute drive from campus though, but it is a very cool area, and it is pretty close to the metrolink.
When do you go UG at WUSTL? I'm a senior now, and would not call the Loop "pretty safe." Maybe something's changed. This past school year, there have been two muggings of students and one girl was assaulted while doing laundry. The only crime alerts have been in the Loop area. Of course, plenty of UGs live there without being attacked but I personally wouldn't live there.

JayCole

New

Post by JayCole » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:46 pm

[Unofficial] Facebook group for those of you that have committed to WUSTL... if you're interested.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=inf ... 6306047693

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:39 pm

Lalalawyer0102 wrote:
sibley wrote:
visiting tomorrow!!eeeep
I visited the week before admitted students’ day and I was really glad that I went on my own. I had an opportunity to meet with professors, the dean and various students one on one. I had conservations and students were really honest with me as we discussed the pros and cons. I think I got a better feel for the school visiting by myself. It definitely helped me with my decision. Wash U is at the top of my list. I hope your visit goes well!
thanks! not looking forward to having to get up at 4am, though

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Put my deposit down as well.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:53 pm

Me too

mbaino

New

Post by mbaino » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:47 am

deposit officially in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jumpropeck

New

Post by jumpropeck » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:36 am

mbaino wrote:deposit officially in.
Congrats! Hopefully after tomorrow we'll have some other commitments as well :)

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi guys! I'm sitting in this student commons area with the big glass ceiling... Er, roof. And it's kinda freaking gorgeous=)

anyone explore the city while they were visiting? I don't have time today. What's it like?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:41 pm

sibley wrote:Hi guys! I'm sitting in this student commons area with the big glass ceiling... Er, roof. And it's kinda freaking gorgeous=)

anyone explore the city while they were visiting? I don't have time today. What's it like?
The area surrounding WUSTL is very cool, in my opinion. Forest Park and the surrounding neighborhoods offer seem cool amenities, bars, restaurants, etc. Downtown is kinda hit or miss, but I'm a big fan of it since I'm a Cardinals fan (the new Busch Stadium is awesome).

PS. Please don't sue me.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:
sibley wrote:Hi guys! I'm sitting in this student commons area with the big glass ceiling... Er, roof. And it's kinda freaking gorgeous=)

The area surrounding WUSTL is very cool, in my opinion. Forest Park and the surrounding neighborhoods offer seem cool amenities, bars, restaurants, etc. Downtown is kinda hit or miss, but I'm a big fan of it since I'm a Cardinals fan (the new Busch Stadium is awesome).

PS. Please don't sue me.
never! (I almost-promise)

so washu's super freaking cool and I wish it was in pennsylvania or massachusetts or ny or somewhere where I DONT need a layover in atlanta/detroit to see my boyfriend.

does this work?
--ImageRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:21 pm

sibley wrote:
does this work?
image removed
That's right where i lived for WUSTL undergrad. near the outdoor pool.

By the way, checking in. I didn't know this thread existed. Put my deposit down. 38k/yr scholly so I may be WUSTL bound again. Didn't go to an ASW, but my 5 year reunion is coming up, so I'll just check out the law school then (even though I'm pretty familiar w/ the campus).

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:24 pm

sibley wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

PS. Please don't sue me.
never! (I almost-promise)

so washu's super freaking cool and I wish it was in pennsylvania or massachusetts or ny or somewhere where I DONT need a layover in atlanta/detroit to see my boyfriend.

does this work?
--ImageRemoved--
i saw no hammocks! only a teeter totter

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:27 pm

Chance of attendance upgraded to 99.9%. Vandy negotiation was summarily smacked down, so it looks like I'm rooting for [strike]WashU[/strike] us to buy [strike]their[/strike] our way to the top. Class of 2013 Here I come! :mrgreen:

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:41 pm

stratocophic wrote:Chance of attendance upgraded to 99.9%. Vandy negotiation was summarily smacked down, so it looks like I'm rooting for [strike]WashU[/strike] us to buy [strike]their[/strike] our way to the top. Class of 2013 Here I come! :mrgreen:
haha...thats what happened with me when i asked smu to match wustl's offer. did vandy not give you anything close to what wustl is giving you?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:44 pm

stratocophic wrote:Chance of attendance upgraded to 99.9%. Vandy negotiation was summarily smacked down, so it looks like I'm rooting for [strike]WashU[/strike] us to buy [strike]their[/strike] our way to the top. Class of 2013 Here I come! :mrgreen:
+1

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:50 pm

najumobi wrote:
haha...thats what happened with me when i asked smu to match wustl's offer. did vandy not give you anything close to what wustl is giving you?
Nope. About 1/3 of WashU's offer. I enjoyed my 4 years at Vandy, but not that much. My tech background may mitigate the employment differences anyway, so $57k plus interest just isn't worth it.

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:01 pm

I'm at work, and I literally LOLed at that comment, causing my coworkers to wonder what I'm laughing at.

Seat deposit sent, I'm in... I can't imagine one of the schools I'm still waiting to hear from beating WUSTL's offer...

I'd love to join the Facebook group, but I don't want my coworkers knowing about law school until August... plus I hear the group doesn't have a lot of members yet anyway.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:33 pm

stratocophic wrote:
najumobi wrote:
Nope. About 1/3 of WashU's offer. I enjoyed my 4 years at Vandy, but not that much. My tech background may mitigate the employment differences anyway, so $57k plus interest just isn't worth it.
ah ic. welcome aboard.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

b0dylanguage

New

Post by b0dylanguage » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:33 pm

Just put my deposit down! So pumped to meet you guys in the fall...!

jc631

New

Post by jc631 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:31 pm

Unless I fall in love with Emory next week I will be there in the fall too :) Have people received their travel reimbursements for the Feb ASD yet? Or know how long it should take to receive?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:32 pm

jc631 wrote:Unless I fall in love with Emory next week I will be there in the fall too :) Have people received their travel reimbursements for the Feb ASD yet? Or know how long it should take to receive?
I think this is soon because I saw someone at admissions working with a list of moneys yesterday.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:51 pm

jc631 wrote:Unless I fall in love with Emory next week I will be there in the fall too :) Have people received their travel reimbursements for the Feb ASD yet? Or know how long it should take to receive?
I got mine a week ago. From Feb ASD.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”