WUSTL Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
thexfactor

Silver

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Post by thexfactor » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Rammstein wrote:Tuition is certainly steep. I can't be sure but I think my status as a transfer student has also limited my options- it seems most of the other transfers I know are struggling mightily. The truth is I know my opportunities are much better at WUSTL than what they were at my first institution, and I know I'm going to come out of here pretty competent in whatever I do.

Do you think reaching out some state trial courts for a summer clerkship would be worthwhile? I hear summer clerkships in my home state are pretty easy to get. Would that be a marketable addition to my resume for next year's job search?
Personally, I think the most important thing for you to do is try to find a job that can lead to full time, post-graduate employment. Taking an unpaid job that has no possibility of permanent placement seems like throwing in the towel, but that's just my opinion. If you don't have a full-time job as a 3L and you have great grades, then go for a post-grad clerkship and try to secure a full-time job after that. But I don't see working for a judge being helpful for most people as a 2L.

And yeah, I think in general it is hard to transfer here, unless you are a native of St. Louis coming back home. You sacrifice a lot (grades, possibly law review and scholarships, etc.) and are basically treated like a median student here. It is a tough situation. Is there a particular market you're targeting?
I agree with you. If you are from the metro STL area and did NOT go to SLU your first year, you will have tons of opportunities at washu. For the rest of us that arent from stl, well... not so good.....
Washu is good for the great plains. However it's not so good for the eastern half of the midwest (ie columbus, Detroit, Cinci)
Last edited by thexfactor on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rammstein

New

Post by Rammstein » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:59 pm

Last edited by Rammstein on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:03 pm

Rammstein wrote:Specific market? Not anymore, as beggars can't be choosers. I've plastered New York and New Jersey and have had little success (mass mail, cold calling). I should probably make another trip to CSO and see what they recommend. I'm keeping an open mind about location and will go wherever opportunity is.
Stay strong and keep fighting. Sending your resume into the mass mail void isn't likely to accomplish anything, so try to add a personal touch. Sure, networking isn't a golden ticket and you can't network your way into a job that doesn't exist, but the personal touch sure helps. Having an alumni partner go to bat for you is infinitely better than just sending your stuff to the recruiter cold.

I'd also try to use your winter break to build relationships with people in your home market and rack up some interviews if you can.

Good luck, Rammstein. At least your Packers are a nice pick-me-up, right?

Rammstein

New

Post by Rammstein » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:07 pm

Truth be told I'm a Ravens fan, but Clay Matthews is the shit.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:08 pm

Rammstein wrote:Truth be told I'm a Ravens fan, but Clay Matthews is the shit.

Some advice: network hard in your home area. Apply to everything you see in your home area. Iassume youa re from Wisconsin if you are a GB fan so hit your home markets hard. WUSTL has a decent reputation for the most part in the upper midwest. lol ravens fan....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Senor A. Boy

New

Post by Senor A. Boy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:02 pm

This is the worst salad-making discussion board ever. Does anybody know how to make a good Waldorf!?!?!

Rammstein

New

Post by Rammstein » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:53 pm

Anyone going to Tom's tonight? I will be there crushing college sodas.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:01 pm

Rammstein wrote:Anyone going to Tom's tonight? I will be there crushing college sodas.
8 Ball Says: Outlook good.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Rammstein wrote:Anyone going to Tom's tonight? I will be there crushing college sodas.
lol at the idea of not going to bar review. can't wait to get back to going out 4 nights/week in january though

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:14 pm

stratocophic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
lol at the idea of not going to bar review. can't wait to get back to going out 4 nights/week in january though
January? I did this last week. Wed-Sat. May be on track to do the same this week.

2LOLOLOL.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:19 pm

0Ls: WUSTL is my top choice, admitted students day was off the hook!

2Ls: I can't find a job.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:20 pm

I think that is one of the biggest problems with Washu. Our recent rise has meant that a lot of WUSTLers are only in junior positions either being a junior partner or associate. I've noticed that people tend to like people that are similar to themselves. In a law firm, one of the easiest things people tend to connect with is the name of your law school. This sometimes hurts WUSTLers cuz we just don't have many WUSTLers in hiring positions.
This is misreading the situation. The rankings are just a marketing tool, pure and simple. they have zero to do with who makes partner. Exceptional people make partner, no matter the school.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:23 pm

MrAnon wrote:0Ls: WUSTL is my top choice, admitted students day was off the hook!

lol my summer plans say otherwise bucko
romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
January? I did this last week. Wed-Sat. May be on track to do the same this week.

2LOLOLOL.
attaboy. it's not like i'm doing work the other nights anyway, but i'll hit at least 3 nights this week

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:25 pm

MrAnon wrote:0Ls: WUSTL is my top choice, admitted students day was off the hook!

Dude, what the fuck. This is the WUSTL CLASS OF 2013 THREAD, not a thread for you to come in and peddle your same old bullshit schtick.

We all know how bad the market is. Most of the regular posters ITT (myself, jcougar, stratocophic, fl0w) did an insane amount of research before we made our decision. We don't need your lectures. If you want to give someone the same old played out message, go tell it to the 0Ls. We don't have any use for you here.

You are absolutely, positively the worst poster on TLS.

Rammstein

New

Post by Rammstein » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:14 pm

MrAnon wrote:
I think that is one of the biggest problems with Washu. Our recent rise has meant that a lot of WUSTLers are only in junior positions either being a junior partner or associate. I've noticed that people tend to like people that are similar to themselves. In a law firm, one of the easiest things people tend to connect with is the name of your law school. This sometimes hurts WUSTLers cuz we just don't have many WUSTLers in hiring positions.
This is misreading the situation. The rankings are just a marketing tool, pure and simple. they have zero to do with who makes partner. Exceptional people make partner, no matter the school.

This guy do this often?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:35 pm

Rammstein wrote:
MrAnon wrote:

This guy do this often?
Nonstop, and EVERYWHERE

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:59 pm

If he returns, PM me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:44 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Rammstein wrote:This guy do this often?
Nonstop, and EVERYWHERE
He's just unreal. He does nothing but butt into people's threads and change the topic to whatever he sees fit.

I'm all for healthy pessimism and trying to talk people off the law school ledge (I think Mr. Anon is "right," in a perverse sense of the word), but he is just intentionally annoying about it.

If there was a poll of the worst posters on TLS, he would easily finish in the top 5.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Rammstein wrote:This guy do this often?
Nonstop, and EVERYWHERE
He's just unreal. He does nothing but butt into people's threads and change the topic to whatever he sees fit.

I'm all for healthy pessimism and trying to talk people off the law school ledge (I think Mr. Anon is "right," in a perverse sense of the word), but he is just intentionally annoying about it.

If there was a poll of the worst posters on TLS, he would easily finish in the top 5.
3-hit CR combo

Rammstein

New

Post by Rammstein » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:36 pm

I don't know how I spent $100 at Tom's.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:12 pm

romothesavior wrote: If there was a poll of the worst posters on TLS
If we're talking current posters,

(1) bmore md
(2) bodhi mind
(3) MrAnon
(4) MTal
(5) Gotti

/thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:44 am

johnnyutah wrote:
romothesavior wrote: If there was a poll of the worst posters on TLS
If we're talking current posters,

(1) bmore md
(2) bodhi mind
(3) MrAnon
(4) MTal
(5) Gotti

/thread.
Grizz and I were discussing this the other day and both agreed on mtal and MrAnon. Forgot about bmore, he is awful in the lounge and sports threads. Grizz and I both also agreed that Pdaddy and Germx suck. And that guy with the larry david tar was bad (don't any of you have money???), but entertaining at least. Same could be said for sehmeserious... he is bad but in an entertaining way. C3P04 is my vote for up and coming terribad poster

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:11 pm

Anyone take Evidence with Rosen yet? How much of a suckfest are his MC questions? Better or worse than Norwood's just shoot me now MCs? I have him next semester.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:33 am

Anyone in here have a copy of Chemerinsky you'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:07 pm

robin600 wrote:Anyone take Evidence with Rosen yet? How much of a suckfest are his MC questions? Better or worse than Norwood's just shoot me now MCs? I have him next semester.
they are a suckfest for sure. but i didn't have norwood. his class can be fun, but it won't really prepare you for his final.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”