Case Western Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
angioletto

Bronze

Re: Case Western Class of 2013

Post by angioletto » Tue May 04, 2010 1:05 pm

sapp wrote:
angioletto wrote:Financial aid stuff is up on the admitted students site.
Should've gotten an email as well. The email notified ^ and had some FAQ about FA.
The e-mail says we will receive our SIS #'s sometime in May so I am assuming they want us to wait until we receive that to turn in our FA paperwork? (but we still need to get it in by May 15)

Now that I am completely done with UG I am so ready to get started with classes! I know I should be enjoying my time off but I am so anxious to find out what law school is really like.

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Tue May 04, 2010 2:06 pm

angioletto wrote:
sapp wrote:
Should've gotten an email as well. The email notified ^ and had some FAQ about FA.
The e-mail says we will receive our SIS #'s sometime in May so I am assuming they want us to wait until we receive that to turn in our FA paperwork? (but we still need to get it in by May 15)

Now that I am completely done with UG I am so ready to get started with classes! I know I should be enjoying my time off but I am so anxious to find out what law school is really like.
On the Need Based Financial Aid Application Instructions on the Admitted Student site, Form 2 has instructions (Case Financial Aid Application Form). The instructions for Q#2 say "Complete Q#2 with your SIS ID number. If you do not have it when completeing the form, the Student Financial Services Office will complete it for you. However, please provide your Social Security Number in question #2 and your SIS ID# will be emailed to you..."

So you can complete it already if you want to. Or you can wait for your SIS #. I already completed mine bc I didn't want to bank on them getting the SIS #s out to us in time.

Congrats on finishing your UG classes!

I'm getting anxious too, but it feels like I have so much to do before August and the time is just going by too fast!

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Tue May 04, 2010 4:05 pm

sapp wrote:
angioletto wrote:
sapp wrote:

On the Need Based Financial Aid Application Instructions on the Admitted Student site, Form 2 has instructions (Case Financial Aid Application Form). The instructions for Q#2 say "Complete Q#2 with your SIS ID number. If you do not have it when completeing the form, the Student Financial Services Office will complete it for you. However, please provide your Social Security Number in question #2 and your SIS ID# will be emailed to you..."

So you can complete it already if you want to. Or you can wait for your SIS #. I already completed mine bc I didn't want to bank on them getting the SIS #s out to us in time.

Congrats on finishing your UG classes!

I'm getting anxious too, but it feels like I have so much to do before August and the time is just going by too fast!
Thanks. For some reason my computer won't display stuff on the admitted students site. I printed out the other document (Dollars and Sense) but not the instructions. I'll have to run to the library and do that tonight.

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Sat May 08, 2010 4:08 pm

I can finally see everything on the admitted students site. I wasn't sure why my computer wasn't displaying all of the pages but it turns out I had some sort of weird virus. There were even whole links that weren't displaying before that are there now. I had to double check to make sure I didn't miss anything with my initial paperwork. That's also why I didn't see the hard copy form that had to be mailed in to accept my scholarship.

Luckily everything is fixed now. Hopefully I won't have any similar issue in the future. What a PITA.

macaulian

New

Post by macaulian » Sat May 08, 2010 7:31 pm

Hey, Im looking for roommates for next year for my place. It's a house in little italy right by the law school. Pretty cheap and very nice. Let me know if your interested.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

texlawtex

New

Post by texlawtex » Sun May 09, 2010 12:30 am

has anyone found the 2010-2011 calendar? They have what seems to be a link to it, but the link doesn't work.

Also, is everyone planning on attending the June 11th admitted students day?

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Sun May 09, 2010 12:45 am

I can't be there, still working until late June. I'll meet you all during orientation or before, if we want to organize something in July.

texlawtex

New

Post by texlawtex » Sun May 09, 2010 12:51 am

i'll be down there in june to find somewhere to live.

another question, does anyone have the link to, or just know, what exactly the 1L courses are?

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Sun May 09, 2010 3:36 am

1st Semester: Crim Law, Torts, Contracts (+CaseArc)

2nd: Civ Pro, Con Law, Property, Elective (+CaseArc)

--LinkRemoved--
During the first year, the entering class is divided into three teams of about 70 students, then further broken down into Groups of about 20 students for writing instruction. Each Group is then divided into two Firms for skills instruction. Upper class students continue to work in small groups for skills instruction. All of the courses are linked to substantive. Areas students are studying at the same time like contracts, criminal law, business associations or professional responsibility. All of the writing assignments and skills excercises come from the same fact situation in the linked subject.

The CaseArc Integrated Lawyering Skills Program spans the entire law school experience. Students receive 5 credits for the first year and 2 credits each semester in their second year. In the capstone courses, students are awarded credit based on the type of course they elect. The following shows the breakdown of the program.

FIRST YEAR

CORE I

In the first semester, as a complement to their doctrinal classes where they are learning legal analysis, students begin learning the most fundamental lawyering skills, such as interviewing, counseling, objective legal analysis and writing, and legal research.

Linked with:
Criminal Law;
Contracts; or
Torts

CORE II

During the Spring Semester, Core II introduces negotiation skills, more advanced legal research, persuasive legal writing and analysis, and oral advocacy.

Linked with:
Constitutional Law;
Civil Procedure; or
Property

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nick637

Bronze

Post by nick637 » Sun May 09, 2010 1:51 pm

just sent in my first choice deposit. i hope to meet all of you sometime soon!

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Tue May 11, 2010 10:56 am

I hope we get e-mails with parking info soon. I think we can register for parking permits beginning in June, and it looks like each permit is specific to a single lot. I wonder how hard it is to get a permit for the lot(s) closest to the law school. I hate walking in snow.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:59 pm

angioletto wrote:I hope we get e-mails with parking info soon. I think we can register for parking permits beginning in June, and it looks like each permit is specific to a single lot. I wonder how hard it is to get a permit for the lot(s) closest to the law school. I hate walking in snow.
It's not hard at all. But, even the closest lot is like 3 blocks-ish away. They do have a shuttle though, it just doesn't always come when it is supposed to.

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Tue May 11, 2010 3:00 pm

So when does it usually start snowing in Cleveland? And when does it end? About how deep does the snow usually get?

As I watch my beautiful sunshine days here slip past my office window I've started getting nervous about the drastic change in weather.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Tue May 11, 2010 3:24 pm

sapp wrote:So when does it usually start snowing in Cleveland? And when does it end? About how deep does the snow usually get?

As I watch my beautiful sunshine days here slip past my office window I've started getting nervous about the drastic change in weather.
These questions cannot really be answered.

I remember heavy snow as early as Halloween but those are generally followed by an unseasonably warm Thanksgiving. I have seen heavy snow as late as the end of April. Today is upper 40's and raining. But last week was sunny and 80's. I think the one word that sums up NE Ohio weather is unpredictable.

The snow can get pretty deep. I'd say 2-3 times a year it gets up to 2-3 feet. This February we had 3 big snows in a row, each dropping a couple of feet. That sucked because it just kept piling up. But for the most part the snow is mostly an annoyance and not something that seriously alters your ability to leave home.

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Tue May 11, 2010 4:39 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
angioletto wrote:I hope we get e-mails with parking info soon. I think we can register for parking permits beginning in June, and it looks like each permit is specific to a single lot. I wonder how hard it is to get a permit for the lot(s) closest to the law school. I hate walking in snow.
It's not hard at all. But, even the closest lot is like 3 blocks-ish away. They do have a shuttle though, it just doesn't always come when it is supposed to.
Really? On the map it looks like there is a lot on the same block as the law school. Is that just a small lot by the social sciences building?

When I was there I parked in the large garage by Severence Hall and I assumed that would be where I parked once school began, but if there is a closer option I'll take it.

The map is useless. I feel like I need to go up there and see it for myself before I commit to a lot for the whole year.

PS Thanks for the inside info. It is very helpful.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:40 pm

angioletto wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
Really? On the map it looks like there is a lot on the same block as the law school. Is that just a small lot by the social sciences building?

When I was there I parked in the large garage by Severence Hall and I assumed that would be where I parked once school began, but if there is a closer option I'll take it.

The map is useless. I feel like I need to go up there and see it for myself before I commit to a lot for the whole year.

Yeah, the lot behind MSASS has like 10 spots. I forgot about Severance though. I guess you would be able to park there. It just might be more expensive or something. I think most commuters park in the village lot.

edit: I think only two lots are open to commuters. Severance isn't one of them, so the lot in the Village would be the closest.
http://parking.case.edu/parking/commut.htm

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Tue May 11, 2010 8:25 pm

I wonder how much money the art museum will demand to give me 24/7 free parking.

Can't you park on the street?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Tue May 11, 2010 9:16 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
angioletto wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:

Yeah, the lot behind MSASS has like 10 spots. I forgot about Severance though. I guess you would be able to park there. It just might be more expensive or something. I think most commuters park in the village lot.

edit: I think only two lots are open to commuters. Severance isn't one of them, so the lot in the Village would be the closest.
http://parking.case.edu/parking/commut.htm
Silly me. I assumed the majority of parking would be for commuters. Who is the rest of the parking for, students who live on campus? This is very strange to me, but then again I went to an UG that was mostly commuters and all permits were good for any lot/garage so obviously I am coming from an entirely different atmosphere.

And WOW those lots available to commuters are in TERRIBLE locations! I'm actually a little bit angry right now. Seems like THEY should be paying US to park there!

Thanks again for setting me straight on this.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:49 pm

1. You can park on the street... if you can find a spot. But even if you can, it's metered. Police and the private parking company (Standard Parking who you will come to hate) are ticket happy. I wouldn't count on this for daily.
2. Most of the lots are for faculty. All students pretty much get relegated to the two shittiest lots. Although, they aren't that shitty given that they are near where undergrads live. But, for commuters, they suck, yes. Makes me mad too that the law school doesn't have its own lot, but the Cleveland Institute of Art, right next door, does.

Pressenda

New

Post by Pressenda » Tue May 11, 2010 10:08 pm

We need to work on this ranking up!

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/party-la ... -rankings/

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Tue May 11, 2010 10:10 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:1. You can park on the street... if you can find a spot. But even if you can, it's metered. Police and the private parking company (Standard Parking who you will come to hate) are ticket happy. I wouldn't count on this for daily.
2. Most of the lots are for faculty. All students pretty much get relegated to the two shittiest lots. Although, they aren't that shitty given that they are near where undergrads live. But, for commuters, they suck, yes. Makes me mad too that the law school doesn't have its own lot, but the Cleveland Institute of Art, right next door, does.
Ah well. Sucky parking is not a new concept when it comes to college campuses. I was hoping for better than UG parking but it looks like it will be just about the same. So that's how I will get my daily exercise - power walking 4 miles from my car to the law building! lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Haven

New

Post by Haven » Tue May 11, 2010 10:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Just a little Cleveland humor. I grew up in Cleveland and have a parent who's a prof at Case, so if you have any questions about the area, I'd be happy to contribute.

The Winking Lizard is a fun place to have a drink, but be careful if youre going up to Johnny Malloy's or City and East (hookah bar). On some nights, it gets flooded with high school kids, popped-collar assholes, or both.

I also would suggest the Cedar Lee Theater, which plays indie flicks. Pretty quirky crowd, but its a good place to go if youre sick of the hollywood-formula movies.

If you're willing to take the 20 minute drive uptown, Beachwood Mall/Legacy Village is a cool place to roam around too, with some good eats as well.

And we do have king james here (for now), so at the very least, you can catch a game at the Q.

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Tue May 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Pressenda wrote:We need to work on this ranking up!

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/05/party-la ... -rankings/
I saw that and correctly predicted Case would be a bottom dweller. No respect for Cleveland, man. I went to school in a prototypical college town once called the best party school in the world. The only difference in Cleveland is the number of places to go per capita is a bit lower (not as low as some would have you believe), they aren't all clumped together in one place (although they're trying, with the West 5th - Flats area) and getting there - not a lot of people live within comfortable/safe walking distance of the best places. Coventry ain't bad, but you aren't going to want to go to the Winking Lizard for three years.

I think LBJ has just blown his chance at a championship this year, the Celtics just mowed down the Cavs in an embarrassing rout...in Cleveland.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:51 pm

From undergrad I can safely say that Case is an extremely boring school. There isn't much drinking on, and not a lot of school spirit either, so case sponsored events don't really make up for it. I find that I go shopping or go out to dinner a lot for my "fun." Coventry can be fun, but it gets old. Downtown has some cool places but it's just a hassle to get there. Ohh, but I've started going to Uptown a lot. It's really close to the law school, like right next to Rascal house and it has good drinks (although expensive). But if you just want a place to grab a beer after class, I like it. Usually quiet.

Next year I hope to have some happy medium between studying and having fun. I've never been the type who can lock myself in my room all day and study.

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Wed May 12, 2010 12:13 am

snowpeach06 wrote:From undergrad I can safely say that Case is an extremely boring school. There isn't much drinking on, and not a lot of school spirit either, so case sponsored events don't really make up for it. I find that I go shopping or go out to dinner a lot for my "fun." Coventry can be fun, but it gets old. Downtown has some cool places but it's just a hassle to get there. Ohh, but I've started going to Uptown a lot. It's really close to the law school, like right next to Rascal house and it has good drinks (although expensive). But if you just want a place to grab a beer after class, I like it. Usually quiet.

It was sad though, because since I've been so denied a party school existence for undergrad, I was hoping to have a bit more fun in law school. Then I realized I kind of just missed my chance. But, I don't want to do nothing but work in law school. As the saying goes, it makes you go crazy. Anyone else have similar feelings?
Boring is in the eye of the beholder. I went to a massive party school and that gets boring pretty fast. You're not missing that much. I've had as much (if not more) memorable fun just drinking/eating with a group of friends at a random hole in the wall as I have in the most lauded and praised entertainment districts in big cities. I think Cleveland is just very direct and no-nonsense, no-frills. I remember I went to Arizona and me and buddy walked into a bar and all the waitresses were U of A cheerleaders wearing schoolgirl uniforms and walking around feeding people jello shots, something I, a young man from Podunk, Ohio, was hardly accustomed to. That was, ah, memorable, but hardly necessary for a good time. My most enjoyable 'party' memories are usually random house parties, which have the added appeal of no $100+ bar tab at the end. American drinking culture, especially college drinking, is pretty f'd up anyway.

I feel like I burned my party candle at both ends for a few years and pretty much ran out of gas at the end. That's not something you want to happen during 1L. Maybe after exams. :wink:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”