Case Western Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
snowpeach06

Gold

Re: Case Western Class of 2013

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:22 am

creamedcats wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:From undergrad I can safely say that Case is an extremely boring school. There isn't much drinking on, and not a lot of school spirit either, so case sponsored events don't really make up for it. I find that I go shopping or go out to dinner a lot for my "fun." Coventry can be fun, but it gets old. Downtown has some cool places but it's just a hassle to get there. Ohh, but I've started going to Uptown a lot. It's really close to the law school, like right next to Rascal house and it has good drinks (although expensive). But if you just want a place to grab a beer after class, I like it. Usually quiet.

It was sad though, because since I've been so denied a party school existence for undergrad, I was hoping to have a bit more fun in law school. Then I realized I kind of just missed my chance. But, I don't want to do nothing but work in law school. As the saying goes, it makes you go crazy. Anyone else have similar feelings?
Boring is in the eye of the beholder. I went to a massive party school and that gets boring pretty fast. You're not missing that much. I've had as much (if not more) memorable fun just drinking/eating with a group of friends at a random hole in the wall as I have in the most lauded and praised entertainment districts in big cities. I think Cleveland is just very direct and no-nonsense, no-frills. I remember I went to Arizona and me and buddy walked into a bar and all the waitresses were U of A cheerleaders wearing schoolgirl uniforms and walking around feeding people jello shots, something I, a young man from Podunk, Ohio, was hardly accustomed to. That was, ah, memorable, but hardly necessary for a good time. My most enjoyable 'party' memories are usually random house parties, which have the added appeal of no $100+ bar tab at the end. American drinking culture, especially college drinking, is pretty f'd up anyway.

I feel like I burned my party candle at both ends for a few years and pretty much ran out of gas at the end. That's not something you want to happen during 1L. Maybe after exams. :wink:
I changed what I said because I didn't want to make it seem like I wanted to be a total alcoholic. It's just that the vast majority of my friends don't drink at all, and their idea of a wild night is staying up late to watch a movie. It kind of gets to the point where you get so bored, that you just want to get all your partying out of your system. But, in reality, I don't think I could or would want to go out every night. But I also can't stay in every night for the next three years. I need a mix.

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Wed May 12, 2010 12:23 am

snowpeach06 wrote:From undergrad I can safely say that Case is an extremely boring school. There isn't much drinking on, and not a lot of school spirit either, so case sponsored events don't really make up for it. I find that I go shopping or go out to dinner a lot for my "fun." Coventry can be fun, but it gets old. Downtown has some cool places but it's just a hassle to get there. Ohh, but I've started going to Uptown a lot. It's really close to the law school, like right next to Rascal house and it has good drinks (although expensive). But if you just want a place to grab a beer after class, I like it. Usually quiet.

Next year I hope to have some happy medium between studying and having fun. I've never been the type who can lock myself in my room all day and study.
Dangit. I knew I shoulda gone to UNLV. I really like the "eclectic" crowd and karaoke at crappy dive bars, but I have a feeling that Case is more my speed academically. I really like going to school with people who are there for an education, and not to party. However, I like to have a separate life where I get blitzed and sing crappy karaoke all night and pass out in my front yard about once every two or three months. I guess I like the option being there whether I actually take advantage of it or not. Are there any "ew, don't go there" bars? I love those.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:30 am

roguey wrote:

Next year I hope to have some happy medium between studying and having fun. I've never been the type who can lock myself in my room all day and study.
Dangit. I knew I shoulda gone to UNLV. I really like the "eclectic" crowd and karaoke at crappy dive bars, but I have a feeling that Case is more my speed academically. I really like going to school with people who are there for an education, and not to party. However, I like to have a separate life where I get blitzed and sing crappy karaoke all night and pass out in my front yard about once every two or three months. I guess I like the option being there whether I actually take advantage of it or not. Are there any "ew, don't go there" bars? I love those.
Yeah, I agree with that. I get annoyed when people come to school but don't take it seriously - I mean, it's expensive, and kind of the key to your future. But at the same time, Case is very much a place where you might take it too seriously. Even in undergrad, you would find a fairly large number of people at the library at midnight on a random Saturday, not even during midterms or finals. I think the option thing is right though. Maybe it's just that I feel like I don't have the option. Oftentimes when I do, I don't feel like it. I just like to know that I could.

Anyway, you should make friends with the CIA and CIM kids. They are an "eclectic" bunch. As for ew bars, I can't really think of any. Euclid Tavern is a bit sketchy. No Karaoke though. I don't think there is a karaoke place.

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Wed May 12, 2010 12:43 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
roguey wrote:

Yeah, I agree with that. I get annoyed when people come to school but don't take it seriously - I mean, it's expensive, and kind of the key to your future. But at the same time, Case is very much a place where you might take it too seriously. Even in undergrad, you would find a fairly large number of people at the library at midnight on a random Saturday, not even during midterms or finals. I think the option thing is right though. Maybe it's just that I feel like I don't have the option. Oftentimes when I do, I don't feel like it. I just like to know that I could.

Anyway, you should make friends with the CIA and CIM kids. They are an "eclectic" bunch. As for ew bars, I can't really think of any. Euclid Tavern is a bit sketchy. No Karaoke though. I don't think there is a karaoke place.
Hrm... Euclid Tavern looks a little too upscale. Here's the place where I hang out now... when we actually decide to leave the house every few months - --LinkRemoved--. I'm trying to find the artsy areas that aren't too gentrified yet. It's kinda hard to find that online though. By the time the neighborhoods that are "up and coming" get mention on the webz, they are usually already starting to disney-fy. Wow. I hope that doesn't sound pretentious.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:50 am

roguey wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
roguey wrote:

Hrm... Euclid Tavern looks a little too upscale. Here's the place where I hang out now... when we actually decide to leave the house every few months - --LinkRemoved--. I'm trying to find the artsy areas that aren't too gentrified yet. It's kinda hard to find that online though. By the time the neighborhoods that are "up and coming" get mention on the webz, they are usually already starting to disney-fy. Wow. I hope that doesn't sound pretentious.
Euclid Tavern isn't upscale, at all. And I totally forgot that myspace existed. But maybe you could try Jillians? It's a pool hall type place. I really can't think of many chill artsy places. I'm with you. I love indie/alt rock type stuff, and would love to be around people that share my interests, but Cleveland doesn't really have any artsy neighborhoods like larger cities do. Your best bet would likely be Hessler or Little Italy. There are a few good concert venues too. My favorite is the Grog Shop, which is right on Coventry. Just a small little room with a bar, and a lot of great shows. Then there is also the Agora, down Euclid, Beachland Ballroom and the House of Blues. The Spot, which is actually one of the Case bars also gets a show each Wens night. It's called Spot night, and it's basically a really small band and $1 random beers (so sometimes you get a Great Lakes, and sometimes you get a Bud).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Thu May 13, 2010 9:13 am

Is anyone buying a new laptop before school begins? My 2.5 year old Sony Vaio is beginning to show signs it is not going to last forever and I worry about it crashing mid-semester. I really don't want to spend the money on a new one.

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Thu May 13, 2010 9:45 am

Try cleaning it out (dust can contribute to overheating) and reformatting your hard drive/reinstalling windows and doubling your RAM. Most users accumulate a lot of useless software and fragmented hard drives over time, and RAM is extra important for laptops that lack the pure CPU oomph of most desktops.

Or get a Thinkpad - they're excellent value for the money. I had an HP that I liked, but they've had quality issues. I'm planning on getting a mid-range thinkpad and swapping the hard drive for a solid state disk.

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Thu May 13, 2010 10:39 am

creamedcats wrote:Try cleaning it out (dust can contribute to overheating) and reformatting your hard drive/reinstalling windows and doubling your RAM. Most users accumulate a lot of useless software and fragmented hard drives over time, and RAM is extra important for laptops that lack the pure CPU oomph of most desktops.

Or get a Thinkpad - they're excellent value for the money. I had an HP that I liked, but they've had quality issues. I'm planning on getting a mid-range thinkpad and swapping the hard drive for a solid state disk.
Thanks for the tips. I don't download a lot of stuff but I do save a lot of pictures and all of my school documents on my computer. I have started saving stuff I want to archive to disks and I am going to start using a flash drive for school stuff and other documents that I am actively using.

One problem I am having though is that I have buttons above the keyboard that control the volume and turn on my webcam and these buttons have stopped working. Of course I can control those things in other ways so those buttons aren't important, but it makes me wonder what will stop working next.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:17 pm

New macbook pro for graduation! Now I just need to decide if I want the more portable 13 inch, or the 15 inch with greater memory.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nick637

Bronze

Post by nick637 » Sun May 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Just got back from spending the weekend in Cleveland and I cannot wait to go back. Case is absolutely beautiful. Spent some time in little Italy and I love the charm. Ill def be trying to find a place to live in li.

I also talked with some of the law staff and they couldn't have been more nice and helpful.

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Sun May 16, 2010 8:37 pm

I am digging through threads here and Case info I have at home to find this, if anyone can help me - how soon can we apply for Grad plus loans? Do we have to wait until we receive our financial aid package from the school or is it something we can get out of the way now?

nick637

Bronze

Post by nick637 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:33 pm

does anyone know if a gym membership is included in the law school tuition?

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:45 pm

nick637 wrote:does anyone know if a gym membership is included in the law school tuition?
There is a gym on campus. Not the fanciest, kind of bare bones, but it's called Veal and it has a cardio room, weight room, pool (but it's not open all the time). No classes or anything. There is a nicer gym on campus that you can join for a discount called one-to-one though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

texlawtex

New

Post by texlawtex » Mon May 17, 2010 10:26 pm

They sent me the link and some password information, which I am assuming everyone else received. Where do i sign in with this information?

texlawtex

New

Post by texlawtex » Mon May 17, 2010 10:30 pm

Also, I don't want to be the akward guy at the June admitted students thing. Are others bringing their parents? Their significant other? anyone?

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:51 pm

I can't tell if I want to go or not. Seems not that helpful, and if I do, it will primarily be to find a place (ahhh, amazing one bedroom on Coventry or less nice but larger/cheaper 2 bedroom on Overlook? hard decision) and see my friends who will still be in the Cleve for the summer.

As for parents, I mean, they can come to Cleveland with you, but I wouldn't bring them to the day. I think its more of a student thing, and to get to know other students, ect.

texlawtex

New

Post by texlawtex » Tue May 18, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks for the info, that's what I had figured, I just didn't want to look like the orphaned kid if otherwise.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spitfire935

New

Post by spitfire935 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:31 am

I'll be the orphan kid, too. I'm from Florida so my main reason of coming is to find a nice 2 bed apt in the overlook/coventry area.

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Tue May 18, 2010 12:15 pm

I'll be coming alone as well.

nick637

Bronze

Post by nick637 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:51 pm

i dont know if ill attend the preview stuff, but ill def be in town to find an apt as well

texlawtex

New

Post by texlawtex » Tue May 18, 2010 3:54 pm

my other question, the login info that was my first and last name, and then an automated password. Where do we actually sign in with that information?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pisto3

New

Post by Pisto3 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:59 pm

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:59 am

Roommate finder is up on the admitted students site.

edit: It's really just a list of names with gender, pets and if you already have an apartment.

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Mon May 24, 2010 3:36 pm

:oops: Maybe the flu is making me blind or maybe it's not up anywhere yet, but I can't find an academic calendar for the 2010-2011 year that shows when holidays/study days/finals/etc are.

A little help?

EDIT: I can see the Upcoming Events and the single month calendar on the home page, but I'm looking for a listing of all the "events" for the academic year.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:09 pm

sapp wrote::oops: Maybe the flu is making me blind or maybe it's not up anywhere yet, but I can't find an academic calendar for the 2010-2011 year that shows when holidays/study days/finals/etc are.

A little help?

EDIT: I can see the Upcoming Events and the single month calendar on the home page, but I'm looking for a listing of all the "events" for the academic year.
http://www.case.edu/provost/registrar/c ... 5year.html
I think this counts the law school too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”