University of Florida Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
AJaKe

Bronze

Re: University of Florida Class of 2013

Post by AJaKe » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:16 pm

ScndCareertyme wrote:not esp. excited about the 4pm class. Thankfully Seigel is entertaining (hopefully). I kinda wish the classes were't spread all over the day, but at least thurs/fri are mostly open..
I got Crim Law A

Did you check your schedule?? If you're period 7 you got the 2:00 o'clock class. If you're perioud 9 you got the 4:00 o clock class.

edit..or you can just tell be the section number (fail)
Last edited by trialjunky on Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farewelltoarms

New

Post by farewelltoarms » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:17 pm

Okay so I'm section 2 and I just looked at the schedule..... 8:40 am class? Madness I say. In undergrad I never started the day before 11:00 am, and to expect me to wake up at 8 in the morning 3 days a week is a far-fetched wish. Also, there is a teacher named Rambo??? I hope he lives up to the name.

scottstot

New

Post by scottstot » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:19 pm

farewelltoarms wrote:Okay so I'm section 2 and I just looked at the schedule..... 8:40 am class? Madness I say. In undergrad I never started the day before 11:00 am, and to expect me to wake up at 8 in the morning 3 days a week is a far-fetched wish. Also, there is a teacher named Rambo??? I hope he lives up to the name.
yeah i saw that too and was hoping id get sec. 2 just so I can say I took professional responsibility with rambo

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:21 pm

farewelltoarms wrote:Okay so I'm section 2 and I just looked at the schedule..... 8:40 am class? Madness I say. In undergrad I never started the day before 11:00 am, and to expect me to wake up at 8 in the morning 3 days a week is a far-fetched wish. Also, there is a teacher named Rambo??? I hope he lives up to the name.
LOL, Rambo has assigned reading for the first day!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UFstudent

New

Post by UFstudent » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:25 pm

Section 1B here. And sorry to burst your bubble, but I believe Period 1 classes start at 8am according to the email "UF Law classes start on the hour and our first period is scheduled for 8:00 a.m." :twisted:

Was anyone else not registered for a writing class?

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:31 pm

trialjunky wrote:

He's Rambo. What did you expect? :D

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:31 pm

UFstudent wrote:Section 1B here. And sorry to burst your bubble, but I believe Period 1 classes start at 8am according to the email "UF Law classes start on the hour and our first period is scheduled for 8:00 a.m." :twisted:

I hope you are wrong about the 8:00 am thing. I was also not registered for a writing class.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:32 pm

ram jam wrote:
UFstudent wrote:Section 1B here. And sorry to burst your bubble, but I believe Period 1 classes start at 8am according to the email "UF Law classes start on the hour and our first period is scheduled for 8:00 a.m." :twisted:

I hope you are wrong about the 8:00 am thing. I was also not registered for a writing class.

same
Moose Thompson wrote:
trialjunky wrote:

He's She's Rambo. What did you expect? :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:39 pm

ram jam wrote:

http://lic.law.ufl.edu/studentaffairs/1 ... hedule.pdf

It says on the class schedule that it starts at 8:40. It's scheduled 1-2 MTW, so it's a class and a half for 3 days which will give you the 4 credit hours. No class at 8:00 for us, at least not this year.

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:42 pm

UFstudent

New

Post by UFstudent » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:45 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:
ram jam wrote:

It says on the class schedule that it starts at 8:40. It's scheduled 1-2 MTW, so it's a class and a half for 3 days which will give you the 4 credit hours. No class at 8:00 for us, at least not this year.
This is a very serious matter that we need cleared up because the schedule says classes start on the hour.- ok yeah Ajake took care of that, but their bad for confusing the new students!
Last edited by UFstudent on Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:45 pm

AJaKe wrote:
Some fail reading comprehension here...

scroll to the bottom.
I understand that period 1 starts at 8 am. This class is scheduled for periods1&2, 3 days a week. That would be 6 hours. If you look at the first page, it lists the start time as 8:40.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:49 pm

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:52 pm

AJaKe wrote:
Ah! I see, I just noticed that some of the other period one starters have different times all around. One says 8:35, another 8:00, another 8:40. My apologies, last year period one started at 8:00, no staggering.

Haha, no sweat. For a second I was wondering if I really was crazy. :)

Ragnar

New

Post by Ragnar » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:24 pm

I have Wiknyk for LRW. One of the required texts is Basic Legal Research by Sloan. The professor calls for the 4th edition. I have the 3rd edition. Do you think it will be a problem if I stick with the 3rd edition? Or will there be some necessary material in the 4th edition that I won't be able to do without?

UFstudent

New

Post by UFstudent » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:04 pm

books ordered $371.35, but I still need Selections for Contracts ($41) and Bluebook ($32).
Is this about what everyone is spending?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kyleh02

New

Post by kyleh02 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:10 pm

UFstudent wrote:books ordered $371.35, but I still need Selections for Contracts ($41) and Bluebook ($32).
Did you order from Amazon?

Dimsdale

New

Post by Dimsdale » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:53 am

Hi everyone, thought I'd check in to the thread. I'm section 2D. Excited to meet all of you and to drink ScndCareerTyme's beer.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:40 am

UFstudent wrote:books ordered $371.35, but I still need Selections for Contracts ($41) and Bluebook ($32).
Christ I spent almost triple that on books. Being a new book elistist is costly, apparently.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:13 pm

Amazon?? From the bookstore, getting used books my total came up to $654.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cao0008

New

Post by cao0008 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:24 pm

Did anyone buy the blue book?? In amazon it says that the book is more than 100 dollars and on isis, it says it's like 24 for a used one, but when I went to buy at the UF bookstore, it didn't give me the option to be able to buy it.

farewelltoarms

New

Post by farewelltoarms » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:29 am

Is anybody else renting their books? In the email it said this is the first year ever that they are doing it.

Edit: So as an undergrad I generally bought my books from the school bookstore because thats what the school recommended and because it was convenient. I was planning on doing that for law school as well, but the prices, even with the renting option, were so preposterously high that I was discouraged. With the rental of two books, along with purchasing every other required book used if it was available, the cost of collecting my books from the bookstore was $481, not including the cost of the bluebook for the legal writing class.

By using amazon however, I was able to decrease that cost down to $351, before the cost of the bluebook. Furthermore, the books are mine and mine alone, so I can resell them if I please (unlike the rental option). This honestly makes me kinda mad. Firstly, because I overpaid for books during undergad. But more importantly, because it makes me ponder how can bookstores get away with this highway robbery? Unsuspecting students who give nary a thought to how they are going to buy their books will be overcharged. I don't know, it just astounds me how Amazon is so much cheaper than the bookstore. You would think the bookstore, through sheer virtue of its name, would give you the best price on books....

UFstudent

New

Post by UFstudent » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:10 am

kyleh02 wrote:
Did you order from Amazon?
Yip ordered on Amazon from BooksRus or something. They were all Like New or Good from a 97% positive rating seller.

UFstudent

New

Post by UFstudent » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:43 am

farewelltoarms wrote:Is anybody else renting their books? In the email it said this is the first year ever that they are doing it.

Edit: So as an undergrad I generally bought my books from the school bookstore because thats what the school recommended and because it was convenient. I was planning on doing that for law school as well, but the prices, even with the renting option, were so preposterously high that I was discouraged. With the rental of two books, along with purchasing every other required book used if it was available, the cost of collecting my books from the bookstore was $481, not including the cost of the bluebook for the legal writing class.

By using amazon however, I was able to decrease that cost down to $351, before the cost of the bluebook. Furthermore, the books are mine and mine alone, so I can resell them if I please (unlike the rental option). This honestly makes me kinda mad. Firstly, because I overpaid for books during undergad. But more importantly, because it makes me ponder how can bookstores get away with this highway robbery? Unsuspecting students who give nary a thought to how they are going to buy their books will be overcharged. I don't know, it just astounds me how Amazon is so much cheaper than the bookstore. You would think the bookstore, through sheer virtue of its name, would give you the best price on books....
Publishers have to charge high for textbooks. Textbooks are expensive to make. Pay the authors, editors, printers and marketing people that go around selling the book to department heads of Universities. They have to keep doing this because textbooks "spoil" whenever a new idea is thought up. They have to have new editions every year to stay current.
Bookstores have the "freshest" books, hence the higher price. There is alot more to this, but thats the gist.

If you can buy for cheaper than it is to rent then why rent?
In undergrad I bought all my books from the bookstore for the first year, after resale I learned my lesson. I used to use half.com but they let me down when a seller didn't come through.
Just be careful with how used the books you ordered are ( Make sure it has a cover cause sheets in the front and back will start to disappear).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”