University of Florida Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Lomax

Bronze

University of Florida Class of 2013

Post by Lomax » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:16 am

First in. Many congratulations to all who follow for making the right choice. :lol:

lawduder

Bronze

Re: University of Florida Class of 2013

Post by lawduder » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:26 am

Very good chance I'll be joining you in the fall.

Sky'stheLimit

Bronze

Post by Sky'stheLimit » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:30 am

Praying (even tho I dont believe in god)

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:32 am

Lomax wrote:First in. Many congratulations to all who follow for making the right choice. :lol:
Would UF over T-14 still be "the right choice"? :wink:

Lomax

Bronze

Post by Lomax » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Tuyarp wrote:
Lomax wrote:First in. Many congratulations to all who follow for making the right choice. :lol:
UF over HYS would still be the right choice. :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:53 pm

Lomax wrote:
Tuyarp wrote:
For some people, I would agree. This is hard to say with a straight face.

Lomax

Bronze

Post by Lomax » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Tuyarp wrote:
Lomax wrote:
Tuyarp wrote:
For some people, I would agree. This is hard to say with a straight face.
And what, exactly, are you doing on the University of Florida Class of 2013 thread besides perhaps trying to extend your argument against it being as good of a choice as FSU (the school I know you are planning on attending) way beyond its bounds? Do you not realize that the purpose of this thread is for those of us who have been admitted to UF and are planning on attending to get in touch and discuss matters specifically related to UF, of which you would be in no way concerned? Please reassure yourself that UF isn't actually quite so great on one of the "which law school is best" threads, if you must.

Lomax

Bronze

Post by Lomax » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:42 pm

Sky'stheLimit wrote:Praying (even tho I dont believe in god)
Perhaps this would be a good time to start believing. :lol: Best of luck.
lawduder wrote:Very good chance I'll be joining you in the fall.
Great to hear.

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:59 pm

Lomax wrote:
And what, exactly, are you doing on the University of Florida Class of 2013 thread besides perhaps trying to extend your argument against it being as good of a choice as FSU (the school I know you are planning on attending) way beyond its bounds? Do you not realize that the purpose of this thread is for those of us who have been admitted to UF and are planning on attending to get in touch and discuss matters specifically related to UF, of which you would be in no way concerned? Please reassure yourself that UF isn't actually quite so great on one of the "which law school is best" threads, if you must.
Actually, I'm here to see who's going to be at UF next fall. I haven't, or intend to, introduce any arguments.

And for the record, I said that I would choose FSU over UF and UM, if I have to choose between those three. I'm still considering other options.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

set88

New

Post by set88 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:23 pm

Just wanted to say I luv your username. 8) Haha perfect

Also I could potentially be the in the class of 2013 here. Just have to decide whether I want to get away from my undergrad city, heh.

Ragnar

New

Post by Ragnar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:29 pm

I just went decision in transit today. UF is a very likely option for me. I took a tour on Wednesday. Has anyone else taken an official tour?

Lomax

Bronze

Post by Lomax » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:08 pm

set88 wrote:Just wanted to say I luv your username. 8) Haha perfect

Also I could potentially be the in the class of 2013 here. Just have to decide whether I want to get away from my undergrad city, heh.
Ha, thanks - like I've been saying, I'd be messing things up by not going to UF, graduating at the top of my class, and becoming the best damn trial lawyer in Alachua County. I think I can do well enough without acting out the last half of the movie though...

Hopefully you'll decide to tough it out in Gainesville for another three years and join us after all. I don't suppose you'd have much to gain going out-of-state long-term, assuming that you'd like to work in Florida, however appealing an extended vacation might seem.
Ragnar wrote:I just went decision in transit today. UF is a very likely option for me. I took a tour on Wednesday.
Nice! I take it that you were impressed enough by what you saw?

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:13 pm

There are a couple UF Law students that post on these forums, but if anyone has questions I'll do my best to field them and the others may be able to fill in the gaps.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:23 am

mistergoft wrote:There are a couple UF Law students that post on these forums, but if anyone has questions I'll do my best to field them and the others may be able to fill in the gaps.
Thanks for taking questions. I'll delve right in.

What schools were you considering when you applied? How did you decide on UF?

What do you like most about UF? What do you like least?

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:45 am

Tuyarp wrote:
mistergoft wrote:There are a couple UF Law students that post on these forums, but if anyone has questions I'll do my best to field them and the others may be able to fill in the gaps.
Thanks for taking questions. I'll delve right in.

What schools were you considering when you applied? How did you decide on UF?

What do you like most about UF? What do you like least?
1) My decisions were, maybe, Hastings, UF, UConn, (I had in state at both UF and UConn, manipulating the system ftw), Temple, Quinnipiac with $$ and I had a couple more wls that I never pursued, I might have been able to pull W&L, but my TTT LSAT score probably would have prevented me from gaining admission there, tbf.

2) Honestly, it was a pretty easy decision. I was really ambivalent for a long time because I wanted to retake my lsat, but, I didn't want to attempt to find a job and then reapply, so I decided to go to the school where I would incur the least debt. My mother lives in Alacuha outside of Gainesville so that decision was fairly easy. I liked UConn a lot, but, ultimately I was pretty sick of the snow anyways so I decided Florida was a better decision.

3) I am not sure what I like best about it in general, all the classrooms are really nice and the professors I've had thus far have all been really down to earth, passionate, helpful, and engaging. Most have had pretty good senses of humor as well. The atmosphere at the school is pretty nice, there is a courtyard in the middle of the school and you're basically always walking outside in between classes, that sort of unique Florida specific design, which I like a lot (well, excepting when it is raining I suppose, though most walkways are covered). I am really into health and fitness and I think the gym here is really nice, it is significantly better than the one at my Undergrad, and they're adding an indoor track and a bunch more equipment as we speak.

4) The least would probably be, well, the fact that it's not a T10 and that I have a very low if not insignificant chance at getting a market paying job. Employment prospects in general are fairly depressing, actually, there are 2Ls on law review who are frantically searching for summer jobs; I'd say that's definitely a factor to consider, especially if you're hell bent on securing a high paying job. Not to say the employment prospects are abysmal, but there are a significant amount of 3Ls I have seen that are going to be unemployed come graduation. More than I am comfortable seeing, at least, and I did pretty well my first semester. Obviously it's the effect of the economy, mostly, but I have no other experience to evaluate it by so I'll call it as I see it.

Other than that, I suppose I'd say maybe the fact that the library typically only has one copy of each supplement on reserve, that can be sort of frustrating when you're looking for a Crunchtime and it's taken out by someone else. But it's never really presented itself as a big issue in my time here, just a pet peeve.

WiretoWire09UF

New

Post by WiretoWire09UF » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:54 am

I took a tour last Wednesday. I was impressed. It really seemed like a close "family atmosphere" almost. The community seemed great. I could go out of state and spend major money prepping for a job I don't want to do, or stay here. All that said, UF is my number one right now pending scholarship offers from other places!

tilghmab

New

Post by tilghmab » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:12 pm

Anyone else attending the Miami, FL, admitted students reception on March 17?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sky'stheLimit

Bronze

Post by Sky'stheLimit » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:17 pm

PRETTY PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE!!!

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:25 pm

So... 1/1 apartments. Where's the best place and what kind of rent are we talking about?

Lomax

Bronze

Post by Lomax » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:46 pm

lawduder wrote:So... 1/1 apartments. Where's the best place and what kind of rent are we talking about?
A look on Craigslist might be helpful. There seem to be a lot of appealing choices out there, though I wouldn't know much about which specific ones can be considered to be superior. I think I might wait until late July and see what kind of last-minute deals are available on townhouses. Honestly, I'm a bit tired of traditional apartment living.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:59 pm

I would recommend renting a house right on SW 2nd Ave if you can. You can walk to class in 0-5 minutes. Otherwise, living somewhere in the College Park area just north of University Ave. is walking distance to the bars and bike-able (maybe walkable) to class. Looking Glass is a nice complex for apartments in Midtown.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

austy

New

Post by austy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:43 am

Hey i'm going to UF Law next year. I went to FSU as an undergrad, so i don't know Gainesville all that well. I just am wondering if anyone else is looking for roommates? I'm assuming we will meet each other at the admitted students day next month. As future UF law students I wonder if it is a requirement to watch The Devil's Advocate. Its pretty funny to think of Keanu Reeves as a lawyer.

Lomax

Bronze

Post by Lomax » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:53 am

austy wrote:Hey i'm going to UF Law next year. I went to FSU as an undergrad, so i don't know Gainesville all that well.
Wow, bold move!
austy wrote:As future UF law students I wonder if it is a requirement to watch The Devil's Advocate. Its pretty funny to think of Keanu Reeves as a lawyer.
Yes, it is. And Keanu performs brilliantly as a lawyer, just as he does as a spaced out teenager, as a space alien, and as Buddha.

austy

New

Post by austy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:39 am

Yeah it will be kind of strange becoming a gator. I guess I am no longer part of the rivalry. Bummer haha. Either way, I am so excited about going to UF Law next year.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:46 am

What rivalry? UF has been owning the state in Football and Basketball for a while now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”