University of Florida Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Lomax

Bronze

Re: University of Florida Class of 2013

Post by Lomax » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:22 am

darknightbegins wrote:What rivalry? UF has been owning the state in Football and Basketball for a while now.
Rivalries don't die with domination. Besides, I don't think that this one is limited to the sports arena.

Ragnar

New

Post by Ragnar » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:13 pm

So does anybody know when UF extends scholarship offers and how that whole thing works?

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:32 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:I would recommend renting a house right on SW 2nd Ave if you can. You can walk to class in 0-5 minutes. Otherwise, living somewhere in the College Park area just north of University Ave. is walking distance to the bars and bike-able (maybe walkable) to class. Looking Glass is a nice complex for apartments in Midtown.
TITCR. Seriously. Midtown will be where you spend most of your drinking time, unless you are into really dirty dance clubs with 18 year old girls and 40 year old dudes. College Park is cool, but getting a house on 2nd would be my 1st choice if moving here from out of town.

I will be at the admitted students day. I'm having a really tough time so far making this decision. Which is good, because it's pretty much the rest of my life that we're talking about. :)

Plus, I want to foil Lomax so that we can postpone the apocolypse. :wink:

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 pm

Ragnar wrote:So does anybody know when UF extends scholarship offers and how that whole thing works?

The way I understand it is they just don't offer that much. I've been told offers will be extended some time in March, but they are pretty stingy.

stjaba

New

Post by stjaba » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:45 pm

Apartment advice:

BTW, this applies just as much to people unfamiliar with UF as much as it does to those who are not.

As someone who was familiar with UF, Gaiensville apartments, and the hassles of commuting to campus, I decided to rent an apartment very close to campus(Cazabella). Why? Because conventional wisdom, as well as experience, suggests living close to campus is the easiest thing to do, even if more expensive. Anyone who is familiar with UF and the parking system on campus knows that your options to commuting to campus if you don't live nearby are either a)taking the bus or b)driving to a Park and Ride remote parking lot and taking the bus from there.

However, law students are fortunate: There is a fairly large commuter lot right next to the law school, and for parking purposes, law students are classified as commuters. Which means, you don't need to live within walking distance to the school to avoid the bus: You can commute to campus. Now, the caveat to that is that the parking lot fills up pretty early in the day (between 9 and 10 AM). But if you show up between 10 and 3, you can usually find spots as classes let out, or park in frat row, or in street spots a little bit further away. Also, with the number of law students going down every year, due to the new smaller 1L class size, I expect the parking situation will be even better next year. Finally, there's a nearby church that many students pay to park in, and it always has spots. Most 1Ls start their day by 10 anyways, so you shouldn't have any problem finding a spot.

On another note, I wouldn't bother with the bus system. I was fine taking the bus during my undergrad years at UF, but what you come to learn as a 1L is that your backpack is way heavier than it was an undergrad, and quite frankly it's uncomfortable standing in a crowded bus for 20 minutes with a heavy backpack. Also, you tend to panic more when you miss your bus because it was already full. I tried to use the bus the first few weeks so I wouldn't have to pay for the expensive decal, and it just wasn't worth the hassle.

So, the long and short of it is that getting a place near campus is really not that necessary. I know a lot of people like living right across from campus, but that proximity means you can pay a pretty steep premium . Gainesville is really overbuilt, and you can probably find some pretty good deals a little bit further away from campus.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

waverider

Bronze

Post by waverider » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:35 pm

Do we know for sure that the class size has been cut again this year?

Lomax

Bronze

Post by Lomax » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Ragnar wrote:So does anybody know when UF extends scholarship offers and how that whole thing works?
I received my scholarship offer a couple months back, and a few weeks after receiving my offer of admission. The amount was nothing to get too excited about, but is significant relative to the cost of attendance assuming in-state tuition. Of course, one probably shouldn't anticipate any scholarship money unless one has numbers (GPA or LSAT) above the 75th percentile.
Moose Thompson wrote:Plus, I want to foil Lomax so that we can postpone the apocolypse.
Don't worry; there really isn't anything much to worry about, as even though I do plan on graduating first in my class and becoming the best damn trial lawyer in Alachua County, I do not plan on taking Satan's offer to work for him in New York, as the winters there are too cold for a half-breed like me.
stjaba wrote:Apartment advice
Thanks, that helps a lot.
waverider wrote:Do we know for sure that the class size has been cut again this year?
I don't think so (at least not significantly), but perhaps someone currently attending would be able to definitively answer that question.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:21 pm

Lomax wrote:I don't think so (at least not significantly), but perhaps someone currently attending would be able to definitively answer that question.
I believe that they're stabilizing the class size at 300, but, don't take my word for it, I know not the doings of the administration.

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:33 am

mistergoft wrote:
Lomax wrote:I don't think so (at least not significantly), but perhaps someone currently attending would be able to definitively answer that question.
I believe that they're stabilizing the class size at 300, but, don't take my word for it, I know not the doings of the administration.
With the cut, did they got to 3 100 person sections, or keep 4 sections of reduced numbers?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stjaba

New

Post by stjaba » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:58 am

Moose Thompson wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
With the cut, did they got to 3 100 person sections, or keep 4 sections of reduced numbers?
3 100 person sections

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Post by Moose Thompson » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:29 pm

stjaba wrote:
Moose Thompson wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
3 100 person sections

Cool, thanks.

Ragnar

New

Post by Ragnar » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:55 pm

In officially today. You guys should start selling UF to me. After the tour I wasn't sold. I like the idea of the new smaller class size. My main motivation is employment during the summers and after graduation. Barking up any other tree would probably not get me excited.

stjaba

New

Post by stjaba » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:00 pm

Ragnar wrote:In officially today. You guys should start selling UF to me. After the tour I wasn't sold. I like the idea of the new smaller class size. My main motivation is employment during the summers and after graduation. Barking up any other tree would probably not get me excited.
If your main motivation is employment, than it is really hard to turn down Florida, assuming you are interested in working in Florida after you graduate. UF is the state of Florida's largest and most prestigious law school, and many doors will be opened to you just because you want to UF. Florida is not a traditional BigLaw state, but most if not all the BigLaw firms that do have offices in Florida recruit at UF, which I doubt is true for the other in-state schools. Go to any large Florida law firm website, and check to see where the lawyers attended law school. You will see that UF is the most common school. These opportunities will still be available to you if you go to a good T1 out of state school, but you will get no advantage by doing so, unless it's a top 5 school. Florida is a highly provincial state, and it would probably be a mistake to go to a different school, unless you have goals do not involve working in Florida. Finally, UF is dirt cheap. With the state of the economy and specifically the legal market, the less debt you pile on, the better off you will be in the long run.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:13 pm

So looking at different apartment options, they all seem extremely expensive for what I'd expect Gainesville to have.. I'm also not liking the lack of furnished+9 month leasing options. I can't imagine having to pay for a 12 month lease, get some sort of summer externship in another city, and pay for that lease as well. Has anyone found any good deals?

Lomax

Bronze

Post by Lomax » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:39 pm

Ragnar wrote:In officially today. You guys should start selling UF to me. After the tour I wasn't sold. I like the idea of the new smaller class size. My main motivation is employment during the summers and after graduation. Barking up any other tree would probably not get me excited.
PLEASE do not start with that here. Instead, see http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=107809 and http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=107937 and http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=104198 and http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=102999 and http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=101448. This is a very, very tired issue. I myself have beaten it into the ground on several occasions, as you should quite easily see. Bottom line: if you plan on living in Florida, go to UF. The tour be damned. It will meet your main motivation as well as any school you'll get into. And actually, stjaba summed it all up quite nicely.
lawduder wrote:So looking at different apartment options, they all seem extremely expensive for what I'd expect Gainesville to have.. I'm also not liking the lack of furnished+9 month leasing options. I can't imagine having to pay for a 12 month lease, get some sort of summer externship in another city, and pay for that lease as well. Has anyone found any good deals?
Craigslist has good deals, unless you define "extremely expensive" as $500 or $600 for a one-bedroom apartment, in which case you should begin to consider a move to Haiti.

rmend

New

Post by rmend » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:33 pm

Are those who are going to the admitted students day bringing their parents to the event?

kaf3

New

Post by kaf3 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:10 pm

rmend wrote:Are those who are going to the admitted students day bringing their parents to the event?
I am.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:29 am

rmend wrote:Are those who are going to the admitted students day bringing their parents to the event?
I don't think I am.

kickincane21

Bronze

Post by kickincane21 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:28 pm

Currently living in Orlando and been accepted with scholarship (small) to UF!! I don't know if I want to go to Admited Students Day or just go up a random weekend...this past weekend I went to two other schools in SoCal and one was an "Official ASD" and the other was me telling them I was coming and wanted a tour. Both went great, but I feel with an individual tour you can ask more direct questions and get direct answers since its just you. Only reason I want to consider ASD is to see if I can hopefully find someone to share an apartment with if I do choose UF because I would prefer sharing an apartment or townhouse. Just realized I didn't really ask a question, so much as ramble on, but as I said I just got back from a red-eye from Cali and haven't slept in 24 hours and am at work....

austy

New

Post by austy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:11 am

Are any of you guys going to the regional admitted student receptions? I am contemplating going to the Jacksonville one (which is my home town), although I live in Tallahassee at the moment. I'm trying to decide whether or not to drive out for it.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:32 am

austy wrote:Are any of you guys going to the regional admitted student receptions? I am contemplating going to the Jacksonville one (which is my home town), although I live in Tallahassee at the moment. I'm trying to decide whether or not to drive out for it.
I think you would be better served just driving out to the Swamp so you can sit in on a class and talk to students.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:24 am

Last edited by trialjunky on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WiretoWire09UF

New

Post by WiretoWire09UF » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:45 pm

anyone else invited to eat dinner @ the president's house after ASD? I feel pretty honored :D :shock:

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:01 pm

Last edited by trialjunky on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redsquare

New

Post by redsquare » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:23 am

I was accepted in mid February, and received a scholarship award just this past Monday. I was offered 24k over the course of six semesters. My LSAT was not that great, but my GPA is high, my softs are strong, and I am a UM. I really want to go to UF and I think this is a good offer. Does anybody think I should try to negotiate for more, or is this probably the max I would get?

Is anybody else willing to share what they received? I'm curious to see how I compare.

Go Gators! :mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”