American WCL Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
globallawyer

New

Re: American WCL Class of 2013

Post by globallawyer » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:32 pm

I agree with everything said above. Even though I had already made my deposit before attending ASD, I had begun to second guess myself. After ASD I was 100% sure that I had made the right choice. There were a few students on the panels who I would gladly switch lives with. I also really liked the vibe of the other accepted students. A lot of interest in public service jobs rather than Big Law. After ASD, I am really excited to be going to WCL. :D

lesleydh1984

New

Post by lesleydh1984 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:23 pm

Anyone else from the Boston area planning on attending WCL?

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:26 pm

Has anybody here figured out why the pending financial aid numbers don't add up to the COA? I emailed financial aid, but nobody in the Financial Aid office has responded to me yet.

globallawyer

New

Post by globallawyer » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Bert wrote:Has anybody here figured out why the pending financial aid numbers don't add up to the COA? I emailed financial aid, but nobody in the Financial Aid office has responded to me yet.

What they list is the amounts for Stafford loans, which only go up to $20,500/year. After that you can get gradPLUS loans up to the COA, but you have to do something separate for that to get the rest. I think it says what in the "Required Reading." I do know you have to put in for those by June 1.

Hope that helps.

texas0813

New

Post by texas0813 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:56 pm

globallawyer wrote:
Bert wrote:Has anybody here figured out why the pending financial aid numbers don't add up to the COA? I emailed financial aid, but nobody in the Financial Aid office has responded to me yet.

What they list is the amounts for Stafford loans, which only go up to $20,500/year. After that you can get gradPLUS loans up to the COA, but you have to do something separate for that to get the rest. I think it says what in the "Required Reading." I do know you have to put in for those by June 1.

Hope that helps.
I called the financial aid office and they said they are sending out applications for the GradPlus loan soon, as in the next couple of days (not sure if she meant via email or snail mail). The GradPlus application is due by June 1, so I am guessing after we get approved for that, it will be added into the financial aid numbers on the MyAmerican site. They explained to me that w/ the Stafford and the GradPlus, it'll be equal out to the entire COA. Hope this provides a little bit of clarification!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:48 pm

globallawyer wrote:

Hope that helps.
1 - thanks for the response

2 - sorry to make you do the reading that I guess I should have done before posting

frecklesmclean0002

New

Post by frecklesmclean0002 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:33 pm

Hey all!! Another member of 2013 here! Can't say how excited I am! Anyone else from California making the big move to the east coast? Not sure yet how confident I am that I won't run away at the first sign of real snow lol!

ASD on the 23 anyone?? Whom do I get to meet??

lafuria

New

Post by lafuria » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:43 am

frecklesmclean0002 wrote:Hey all!! Another member of 2013 here! Can't say how excited I am! Anyone else from California making the big move to the east coast? Not sure yet how confident I am that I won't run away at the first sign of real snow lol!

ASD on the 23 anyone?? Whom do I get to meet??
Worried about snow in DC? :lol: After living in Montreal, I found the talk of the blizzard last year funny, unless we get another record year the mild climate of DC is a good introduction to "cold" weather!

I'll be there.

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:53 am

Yeah I spent four years in Michigan so I thought the blizzard was funny too...HOWEVER it's no joke that DC is completely ill equipped to handle snow and everything really does shut down. Blizzards are cute and all that but when your street isn't plowed under 22 inches of snow, DC suddenly looks a lot more like Montreal...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lstwin

New

Post by lstwin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:29 pm

Question for you guys, since you've officially decided on American.

I'm still waiting to hear back from two schools, but assuming they're both either WL or rejections (since it's so late in the app season), I'll be choosing between American and Ohio State. I like the opportunities at American (externships, clinics, etc), the fact that it's in DC, and that they look at everything from an international perspective, but the cost of living + tuition is ridiculously expensive, and I'm having a hard time justifying $200,000 in students loans.

Can you guys tell me what made you decide that AU is worth the $$$? Thanks!

texas0813

New

Post by texas0813 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:53 pm

lstwin wrote:Question for you guys, since you've officially decided on American.

I'm still waiting to hear back from two schools, but assuming they're both either WL or rejections (since it's so late in the app season), I'll be choosing between American and Ohio State. I like the opportunities at American (externships, clinics, etc), the fact that it's in DC, and that they look at everything from an international perspective, but the cost of living + tuition is ridiculously expensive, and I'm having a hard time justifying $200,000 in students loans.

Can you guys tell me what made you decide that AU is worth the $$$? Thanks!
For me, the DC location and my desire to work in and/or with the federal government made it almost worth it. What put me over the top was finding out about the College Cost Reduction and Access Act: 10 years in public service + 10 years of income based repayments = loan forgiveness. Since I plan to work in the public sector anyway, I thought this program makes it worth the $200K in debt, since it will all be eliminated in 10 years. Find out more about the program here: http://www.wcl.american.edu/finaid/ccraa.cfm

If I wasn't committed to doing that, I personally don't think the massive debt is worth it.

dreaming

Bronze

Post by dreaming » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:05 pm

lesleydh1984 wrote:Anyone else from the Boston area planning on attending WCL?
I am considering it... But I still can't decide for sure! :? Are you definitely going?

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:12 pm

dreaming wrote:I am considering it... But I still can't decide for sure! Are you definitely going?
The jury is still out for me as well, but AU is one of my top 2 as things stand right now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dontworrybehappy

New

Post by dontworrybehappy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:20 pm

Hi All,

I'm trying to decline admission but I'm having trouble accessing the website. I'd like to do it sooner, rather than later, to give people on the waitlist a chance.

For anyone interested, I am going to attend Loyola Los Angeles instead.

Cheers!

Fiction

New

Post by Fiction » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:35 pm

edit
Last edited by Fiction on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

frecklesmclean0002

New

Post by frecklesmclean0002 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:42 pm

The WCl International Law program is ranked higher than Boalt (Berkeley) where I'm finishing my undergrad, that really helped convince me.

Its not a national school rep wise but if you're going to attend a regional school then I can't think of a better place than D.C. if you want to work for the government (I have my eye on Hillary's office someday :D ).

D.C. is expensive but its also designed for temporary living. Interns, military, and government jobs are constantly in flux making it one of the easiest cities to move to. Half of the rooms I've looked into in renting are in safe areas, fully furnished, and lease month to month!

D.C. was always a dream for me to work in one day so take my opinion with an idolized grain of salt

lafuria

New

Post by lafuria » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:15 am

DC is a very competitive market and it's not going to be easy fighting off Georgetown, GW and GM alumni for jobs, but for obvious reasons the DC market is always going to need people and the access to government internships and American's international law reputation will hopefully open doors. I've heard mixed things about current career prospects for WCL alumni but most of the negative stories come from my cousin at Stanford, so our standards might be a little different.

DC is an expensive city, not as bad as New York but even with the lower taxes it's going to be worse than what I'm used to in Montreal, but yes, because of the high demand for temporary living there's a lot of options. My friends who lived in DC for undergraduate were able to find affordable, quality housing, not at the bargain level I had in Montreal, but cheap enough.

Really the DC factor should make or break most peoples decisions. For me the international and public interest reputations are enough, if I cared about big law I'd have probably taken a few years off and try again at getting into a T14. I am fortunate enough to have no debt from my undergrad years so I can afford chasing my dreams.

The school is also stereotyped to have a liberal bias, I don't know how true this is but it makes sense considering the public interest and international law reputation, not to one of the few and possibly best feminist law communities - the school was founded by women who weren't allowed into what is now GW law after all....it seems to me the school attracts people with illusions of saving the world, and this is another positive for me.

And now a question for those who visited already..how hard is it to reach the campus by public transport? For admitted students day I'm probably going to bus it instead of taking my car (heads up: Bolt bus is a great deal for those in the NY metropolitan area. If you aren't in a rush don't waste your money on the train)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Langfall

New

Post by Langfall » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:59 am

Now officially a member of the class of '13. Now to get serious with finding housing.

And Lafuria I havent visited WCL but as I hear there's a shuttle that leaves every 15 min from the Tenneytown metro. So getting to the campus shouldnt be too hard

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:17 pm

+1 on housing.

In what parts/areas of DC are people planning on living? I know DC fairly well and wanted to figure out where people were looking, as there really isn't too much housing by the school.

texas0813

New

Post by texas0813 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:27 pm

Bert wrote:+1 on housing.

In what parts/areas of DC are people planning on living? I know DC fairly well and wanted to figure out where people were looking, as there really isn't too much housing by the school.
I'm planning on living in Cleveland Park or Woodley Park!

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:19 pm

texas0813 wrote:
Bert wrote:+1 on housing.

I'm planning on living in Cleveland Park or Woodley Park!
Can you elaborate as to why? Also, what's the availability of furnished apartments like in these areas? (recent college grad w/ little to no furniture, looking for convenience)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:40 pm

You're gonna have to hustle to find furnished apartments -- I generally don't think that there are many around. As for areas, Cleveland Park and Woodley Park (National Zoo) are both very nice areas about two stops from AU if you were heading towards DC. I would say that both areas are not particularly known for their vibrant nightlife. NU, where are you coming from?

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:43 pm

Bert wrote:You're gonna have to hustle to find furnished apartments -- I generally don't think that there are many around. As for areas, Cleveland Park and Woodley Park (National Zoo) are both very nice areas about two stops from AU if you were heading towards DC. I would say that both areas are not particularly known for their vibrant nightlife. NU, where are you coming from?
Coming from Wichita, KS, where they take the "life" out of "nightlife." So, not too concerned about that-I can always take a taxi. Any other areas you'd recommend to look?

lafuria

New

Post by lafuria » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:00 pm

I don't have that much of a preference, as long as I can find an affordable apartment near the metro. Ideally I'd want to live more central and in a more vibrant neighbourhood than Cleveland Park but I doubt I'll find cheap housing by Dupont Circle, which would be ideal.

As long as the commute is under an hour I'm fine really. I need to ask friends who know DC better for advice.

Langfall

New

Post by Langfall » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:05 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
Bert wrote:You're gonna have to hustle to find furnished apartments -- I generally don't think that there are many around. As for areas, Cleveland Park and Woodley Park (National Zoo) are both very nice areas about two stops from AU if you were heading towards DC. I would say that both areas are not particularly known for their vibrant nightlife. NU, where are you coming from?
Coming from Wichita, KS, where they take the "life" out of "nightlife." So, not too concerned about that-I can always take a taxi. Any other areas you'd recommend to look?

Mt. Pleasant and Friendship heights are both really good areas as Ive heard. The problem though I think isnt finding furnished or even just housing but finding affordable plus comfortably livable housing. I did find a beautiful somewhat affordable apartment complex in Tokoma but it being there puts it somewhat of a distance from the school

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”