Michigan State Law Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
mk03

New

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Post by mk03 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:15 am

Can anyone verify that the admission process to the MSU/Ottawa dual degree program occurs AFTER 1L has begun or if one must apply to the program BEFORE 1L has begun? Perhaps I am interpreting it wrong, but their website seems to state 2 contradictory claims:

Speaking generally about it's dual-degree programs it says "If you are considering a dual degree program, you need to apply and be accepted into each program separately. Admission to the law program is required prior to accumulation of credits in either program." http://www.law.msu.edu/academics/ac-multi.html

However, in explaining the application process it states that applicants must submit their MSU Law transcript. http://www.law.msu.edu/academics/ac-mul ... tml#admiss

Anyone else understand my confusion?

Tuukie11

New

Post by Tuukie11 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:36 pm

mk03 wrote:Can anyone verify that the admission process to the MSU/Ottawa dual degree program occurs AFTER 1L has begun or if one must apply to the program BEFORE 1L has begun? Perhaps I am interpreting it wrong, but their website seems to state 2 contradictory claims:

Speaking generally about it's dual-degree programs it says "If you are considering a dual degree program, you need to apply and be accepted into each program separately. Admission to the law program is required prior to accumulation of credits in either program." http://www.law.msu.edu/academics/ac-multi.html

However, in explaining the application process it states that applicants must submit their MSU Law transcript. http://www.law.msu.edu/academics/ac-mul ... tml#admiss

Anyone else understand my confusion?

see http://www.law.msu.edu/academics/ac-mul ... tml#admiss
"Currently, MSU Law students may apply to the joint-degree program in the Spring of their first or second year."

Tuukie11

New

Post by Tuukie11 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:45 pm

mk03 wrote:I received my acceptance email this morning. It said that my acceptance package is being placed in the mail today. The email did not say anything about scholarship offers... does this mean I won't get one or does that discussion come later?

i have a 2.89 cGPA and a 164 LSAT and i'm canadian. any thoughts?
I got accepted recently too and in the mailed letter, they explain that the scholarship committee is meeting again in early April. They said I should hear on April 6 about scholarship and then my deposit deadline switched to April 29.

mk03

New

Post by mk03 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:47 pm

Can anyone speak to the competitiveness of admission to the MSU/Otttawa program? Is an applicant in the top half of the class guaranteed admission?

UWO-BADGPA

New

Post by UWO-BADGPA » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:54 pm

No, lots more people applied this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mparty7441

New

Post by Mparty7441 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:00 pm

I was at the Admitted Students Day this past weekend and I was somewhat impressed. They seem to be on the right track as a school. Does anyone have any guess as to if they'll break into the second tier of rankings in the near future?

mk03

New

Post by mk03 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:27 pm

UWO-BADGPA wrote:No, lots more people applied this year.
Was this in response to my question "did everyone who applied receive admission?"

I emailed the dean of admissions and he responded that over the past 3 years everyone who applied (that was in the top half of the class, of course) received admission.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:36 am

Mparty7441 wrote:I was at the Admitted Students Day this past weekend and I was somewhat impressed. They seem to be on the right track as a school. Does anyone have any guess as to if they'll break into the second tier of rankings in the near future?
I think it's very likely. It's the only Big 10 school not in T1/T2, and even still I think 8 of the Big 10 are Tier 1. My prediction is that at it's height, MSU will settle in the 50s however that won't be for many years. Breaking into T2 could happen before a current 0L graduates, and I'd expedct it to happen before 2015. However, realize that it's not like the prestige or recognition will rise any substantial amount for people who are matriculating there this cycle.

Whitters

Bronze

Post by Whitters » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:24 pm

I withdrew with 3/4 tuition and a living stipend. Bittersweet. I hope it goes to one of you fine folks! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Creed Fan

New

Post by Creed Fan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:18 pm

I haven't had a chance to visit the campus. Can anyone give their first hand account of the facilities and the impression of the school you took away from your visit?

williamsmatt

New

Post by williamsmatt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:57 am

going home to MSU this fall! I can't wait, it's going to be a blast. Anyone else have thoughts about going to MSU? I went to the open house on march 27, and everyone seemed to be pretty down to earth. Lots of information was presented, and although I only stayed for 1/2 the information session, I was impressed. It was nice to spend the day with my parents at the school where I will be attending for the next 3 years of my life! It's going to be awesome. Can't wait...

williamsmatt

New

Post by williamsmatt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:02 am

Creed Fan wrote:I haven't had a chance to visit the campus. Can anyone give their first hand account of the facilities and the impression of the school you took away from your visit?
The facilities are great, as it's a new law school building entirely. I went to visit on march 27 and it's a great facility. My impression that I took away from the school is that it's trying to increase it's reputation and visibility outside of Michigan. I plan on practicing in Michigan so this isn't really an issue for me; however, there was a student who asked the dean of the law school, "you said that MSU is on rising trajectory, what do you have to back the claim up?" And, she responded to the questions, but I thought that it was funny that the student would ask such a question. The people there seem to really like the school and to be proud to be there too. If you have any questions pm me.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:04 am

For those who were told they would receive scholarship information by April 6th...

Has anyone heard from MSU yet? They said they may get back to us sooner than 4/6 but that would be the absolute deadline. Do you think they'll stick to this date? If we don't get anything before or on 4/6 is it safe to assume that we're getting $0?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Creed Fan

New

Post by Creed Fan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:59 pm

I just got accepted today via status check and it said I was accepted with scholarship. I haven't received any contact from the university specifying any amounts or anything. Best of luck to anyone still waiting.

Tuukie11

New

Post by Tuukie11 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Norwood wrote:For those who were told they would receive scholarship information by April 6th...

Has anyone heard from MSU yet? They said they may get back to us sooner than 4/6 but that would be the absolute deadline. Do you think they'll stick to this date? If we don't get anything before or on 4/6 is it safe to assume that we're getting $0?
Just got an email an hour ago saying the scholarship committee met today. I received a full tuition scholarship for all 3 years if I keep a 3.0. Very excited! Going to visit the 16th in all likelihood.

Mparty7441

New

Post by Mparty7441 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:59 pm

Tuukie11 wrote:
Norwood wrote:For those who were told they would receive scholarship information by April 6th...

Just got an email an hour ago saying the scholarship committee met today. I received a full tuition scholarship for all 3 years if I keep a 3.0. Very excited! Going to visit the 16th in all likelihood.

me too! I was in at 75% and they upped it to a full, will probably send in that "enrollment fee" tomorrow.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:36 pm

Unfortunately no email from MSU today. Hoping for an email within the next few days or else I'm going to have to withdraw my seat.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jamielynn1981

New

Post by jamielynn1981 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:40 am

Received an email today about scholarship $$$--full tuition King Scholarship--anybody know anything about the King Scholar program?

Also, is anyone going to visit the school on the 24th? I just booked my flight! I can't wait to visit the school!

mk03

New

Post by mk03 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 am

For those that have received scholarships... do ALL of youro status' on the status checker read "admission with scholarship"? mine does not but i was still hoping to receive some $$.

jamielynn1981

New

Post by jamielynn1981 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:20 am

mk03 wrote:For those that have received scholarships... do ALL of youro status' on the status checker read "admission with scholarship"? mine does not but i was still hoping to receive some $$.

Mine doesn't say anything about scholarship money--just reads "Admitted"

mk03

New

Post by mk03 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:31 am

jamielynn1981 wrote:
mk03 wrote:For those that have received scholarships... do ALL of youro status' on the status checker read "admission with scholarship"? mine does not but i was still hoping to receive some $$.

When were you admitted? And would you mind sharing stats?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jamielynn1981

New

Post by jamielynn1981 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:01 pm

mk03 wrote:
jamielynn1981 wrote:

Sure--my admit date is 3/10

162/3.63

mk03

New

Post by mk03 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:16 pm

jamielynn1981 wrote:
mk03 wrote:
jamielynn1981 wrote:

162/3.63
Thanks for your quick reply!

Maybe I'm being a bit too optimistic in regards to scholarships with my 164 and a 3.0

jamielynn1981

New

Post by jamielynn1981 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:34 pm

Mine doesn't say anything about scholarship money--just reads "Admitted"[/quote]

When were you admitted? And would you mind sharing stats?[/quote]

162/3.63[/quote]

Thanks for your quick reply!

Maybe I'm being a bit too optimistic in regards to scholarships with my 164 and a 3.0[/quote]

I don't know, I think those numbers should make you eligible for $$$$. When were you accepted? Were you asked to write an additional statement about how the school could help you achieve your goals?

mk03

New

Post by mk03 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:47 pm

jamielynn1981 wrote: I don't know, I think those numbers should make you eligible for $$$$. When were you accepted? Were you asked to write an additional statement about how the school could help you achieve your goals?
I just submitted a standard application. Aside from my personal statement I don't recall submitting anything else. My application was submitted pretty late, it only went "complete" on March 15th. I was admitted on March 24th and am still waiting for my official acceptance package to arrive in the mail - the status checker informs me that there have been two recent mailings; one on march 30th and the other on march 31st (I'm from Canada so I guess it's delayed).

Anyway, thanks for your optimism!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”