Michigan State Law Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
raskolnikov32

New

Re: Michigan State Law Class of 2013

Post by raskolnikov32 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:02 pm

Last edited by raskolnikov32 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plex

New

Post by plex » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Apartments are rated here

--LinkRemoved--

Owen hall is the grad dorm and right across the street, has a nice new cafeteria. The rooms are basically dorm rooms though, and they are tiny.

The farther you get away from the school, the less expensive apartments get (but then you have to take the bus or drive, parking at the school will add up fast). The closest apartment complex is River Glen, about a 10 minute walk away.

Mparty7441

New

Post by Mparty7441 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:38 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:Check out Chandler Crossing
Yeah I think I'm going to do the same, the place looks sweet. If you do a 3X3 or 4X4 it's an awesome price.

plex

New

Post by plex » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:44 pm

Chandler crossing is pretty cheap, but it is also far away, noisy, and has pretty [strike]bad[/strike] awful reviews.

Mparty7441

New

Post by Mparty7441 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:43 pm

plex wrote:Chandler crossing is pretty cheap, but it is also far away, noisy, and has pretty [strike]bad[/strike] awful reviews.
how can I get into that apartment rater thing you have there?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mk03

New

Post by mk03 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:56 pm

I apologize for my ignorance, but does anyone know (maybe someone that has attended one of the MSU events) what to expect of 1L academically? What is the curriculum like - are there electives in first year or is the year filled strictly with the following required courses?

http://www.law.msu.edu/academics/ac-juris-sched.html

Mparty7441

New

Post by Mparty7441 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:13 am

mk03 wrote:I apologize for my ignorance, but does anyone know (maybe someone that has attended one of the MSU events) what to expect of 1L academically? What is the curriculum like - are there electives in first year or is the year filled strictly with the following required courses?

I'm pretty sure the 1st year of law school is all required course for almost every, if not every single LS in the country.

mk03

New

Post by mk03 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:52 am

Mparty7441 wrote:
mk03 wrote:I apologize for my ignorance, but does anyone know (maybe someone that has attended one of the MSU events) what to expect of 1L academically? What is the curriculum like - are there electives in first year or is the year filled strictly with the following required courses?

I'm pretty sure the 1st year of law school is all required course for almost every, if not every single LS in the country.
Thanks

Perjury

Bronze

Post by Perjury » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:51 pm

anyone have a picture of michigan state JD diploma?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

raskolnikov32

New

Post by raskolnikov32 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Last edited by raskolnikov32 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perjury

Bronze

Post by Perjury » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:26 pm

raskolnikov32 wrote:
Perjury wrote:anyone have a picture of michigan state JD diploma?
Planning to skip law school and just Photoshop your name onto a diploma???
no of course not, that would be wrong.

rawwritslars

New

Post by rawwritslars » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:44 am

Admitted on Friday via e-mail (I applied late last month), and now my status checker says "Scholarship Review Pending". Did anyone else's say this, and if so did you get scholarships?

mk03

New

Post by mk03 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:13 pm

rawwritslars wrote:Admitted on Friday via e-mail (I applied late last month), and now my status checker says "Scholarship Review Pending". Did anyone else's say this, and if so did you get scholarships?

I was admitted but disappointed that I did't get a scholarship.. I never got that message either so I guess you can remain hopeful! Would you mind sharing your stats?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rawwritslars

New

Post by rawwritslars » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:31 pm

mk03 wrote:
rawwritslars wrote:Admitted on Friday via e-mail (I applied late last month), and now my status checker says "Scholarship Review Pending". Did anyone else's say this, and if so did you get scholarships?

I was admitted but disappointed that I did't get a scholarship.. I never got that message either so I guess you can remain hopeful! Would you mind sharing your stats?

3.6/152 URM. In the e-mail I got on Friday it said "We are hopeful of providing you with one of our generous scholarship awards; however, this decision will not be made until early May". I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'd love to be a member of the green and white!

Perjury

Bronze

Post by Perjury » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:00 pm

how long does it take to get a decision. my status checker still says "application complete"

mk03

New

Post by mk03 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:46 pm

mine took about 2 weeks since then

JayTal

Bronze

Post by JayTal » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:51 pm

You should check out Burcham Place Apartments (3 bedrooms) about 1/2 a mile north of campus

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dr. Evil

New

Post by Dr. Evil » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:28 am

What is the turnaround time at Michigan State after you submit your application?

rawwritslars

New

Post by rawwritslars » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:17 am

Dr. Evil wrote:What is the turnaround time at Michigan State after you submit your application?
Mine took around three weeks or so.

fordtheriver

New

Post by fordtheriver » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:43 pm

Current 1L here. Your classes and section will be assigned for the first year. Fall semester will likely be contracts I, torts, civpro 1, crim law & Legal writing (RWA- you will write 2 memos). Second semester is civ pro 2, contracts 2, con law 1, property and RWA- the appellate brief and oral argument half. If you are a King's Scholar you have a seminar class in addition to this. After first year you can take a lot of electives. I think MSU has less required courses than other schools. You still have to take evidence, con law 2 and professional responsibility. Hope that helps!

As for places to live: Chandler Crossings is a popular option. The apartments are nice and the people that live there seem happy. Owen is also very convenient. You don't have to cook or clean and you live across the street from the school. I think living at Owen is really helpful for studying purposes. I don't live in either place so I can't give my personal take though.

mk03

New

Post by mk03 » Sun May 09, 2010 10:42 pm

Are most people here living on, or close to, campus? Are there any living arrangements that are geared towards grad students?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:07 am

OMG whatever you do avoid Chandler Crossings, unless you want to be surrounded by drunk undergrads, live in the middle of no where, and want a 35 min. bus ride to campus everyday. Just say no to Chandler. I recommend Berrytree apartments through DTN management (I pay 445 (cable, internet, just pay electric which is like 10 bucks a person a month) right now for a two bedroom with a roommate) It is a 10 min. bus ride to campus, 30 min walk. Mainly law students and med students live there, it's very quiet. comes with a great pool and fitness center. Also Glenwood apartments through DTN are great too, just down the road on Hagadorn. River Glen apartments are on shaw and harrison and are super cheap! If you want to avoid all the undergrads/drunks/frat bros and sorrostitutes, avoid anywhere close to grand river at all costs, unless it is east of hagadorn or west of Michigan Ave. Arbor Glen apartments, and Marigold apartments are on Harisson and Trowbridge (south west side of campus) are both cheap, locally owned, good parking and a decent walk to the law school 20 mins. (the law school is on the center of campus so really anywhere you live off campus will be a 20 min. walk). Also look into the Oaks on Michigan ave through DTN managment. Of course these will all be around 450 a person because of the closeness to campus. If you don't mind living a bit east of east lansing (like 8 blocks) look into Campus Hill, which is a 10 min bus ride to campus, two seconds to the grocery store, and super quiet. A lot of grad students live there. Plus rent is only like 375-420 a person there so it's really cheap. Cheaper is going to equal a 30 min. commute, PM me if you're interested.

Owen the grad hall is geared towards grad students and international students, but the latter love it a lot more, and older undergrads can also live there. The rooms are a bit small and you will need to cook for yourself or buy a meal plan. It's right across the street from the law school, but it's also a popular puking and partying destination for the freshman who are stumbling home at 3am avoiding the cops. I would vote no, unless you went to a big public school for undergrad and don't mind taking it for another three years.

Also if you want to avoid paying the ridiculous parking fee for parking right at the law school, just buy a commuter pass for 90 bucks a year and take a 5 min. bus ride on to campus which drops you off right at the law building.

And last but not least, so happy you all get Izzo next year! Sad to be leaving him!!!!! GET IZZONE tickets! You won't regret it!

DivineDavina0518

New

Post by DivineDavina0518 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:08 pm

I'm a little disheartened abt whats been said abt chandler's crossing, considering i just mailed a lease 2 them like 2 weeks ago, but ah well, hopefully i get into building 7...anyways ah well, see ya'll this fall at MSU...I'm excited and kind of scared at the same time because I've heard sooo many negative things, but then again I've also heard that students seem 2 love MSU COL...I plan on doing the study abroad program in Japan, and of course some externships and directed studies because I want to practice international (human rights) law--yes I know that's kind of broad and specific at the same time. I'm not sure how all that figures into MSU's reputation...does that kind of law practice sound plausible with an MSU law education/diploma? I guess this is more directed to any MSU COL grads, or current students, but any who have insight, please do respond!

Also, about life in E. Lansing/Lansing...I'm coming from UT Austin, and it was always something to do there, I've lived in Dallas all my life where I've never been bored either, and I'm hoping E. Lansing/Lansing has something 2 offer in terms of night life/fun...I know we'll all be crazy busy trying to be top percent in our class and trying to obtain scholarships and A's and what not, hehe, but still if anybody has anything positive 2 say on this aspect, then do let me know...

Last thing...is anybody excited about the COL's first writer in residence play that will be happening next fall, written by Sandra Seaton....I'm ecstatic (I was a Theatre (acting concentration) and English major in my undergrad)

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:37 am

^^^ Grand river will always have something to do 7 days out of the week. It gets old a bit quicker than Austin, but the people you meet make it fresh and exciting.

PS- Crazy story. There was some craziness at Chandler the other day. Apparently someone got alcohol poisoning in the pool and well passed out in it. So they called an ambulance and all the drunk underagers ran away thinking it was the cops. Well a couple of them stepped on broken glass and got it in the pool, so now they are draining it. Fun times.

mk03

New

Post by mk03 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:33 am

Jeez Robin600 either you really have something against Chandler Crossing, you work for DTN management, or both lol. Well if you do work for DTN then PM me bc i've been trying to speak to an agent for a week.

But seriously now, I'm from Toronto, Canada and i'm driving over to Lansing for the weekend to visit the campus for the first time and hopefully find an apartment. I will not have a car during the school year so I should find something close to campus/busline. Also, I'm looking for a place that is mainly grad students... I want to remain focused on my academic goals, but at the same time I wouldn't mind going out now and then to keep sane and.. well.. i like to party. Let's just say my academic/social life should be balanced 75/25 and my residence should reflect this. I was considering looking for a roommate online but i'm not so sure that I want to commit to anyone that I don't know during what could be a crucial year of my life (I'm trying to participate in the dual canadian/american jd/llb and I must be in the top half of the class in order to gain admittance to the program).

Any suggestions that anyone can contribute would be tremendously appreciated. I tried looking at online reviews of several apartments but there really doesn't seem to be ANYTHING positive written.

Thanks,

MK03

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”