Washington and Lee Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
cpboy77

New

Re: Washington and Lee Class of 2013

Post by cpboy77 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:10 pm

HERetICal wrote:has anybody tried to negotiate scholarship offers from W&L? Anyone successful? Thanks!
+1

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:04 pm

For those familiar with the campus, how is the school gym? Is it a nice facility? Does it get crowded? etc.

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:37 pm

SAE wrote:For those familiar with the campus, how is the school gym? Is it a nice facility? Does it get crowded? etc.
Curious about this, too.

set88

New

Post by set88 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:30 am

Rowinguy2009 wrote:The decision was basically already made, going into the whole process w&m, w&l, and Emory were my three first choices. I wasn't going to make my committment official until scholly info from Emory came out. Since that has now happened, WL is the clear choice.
I have the same top 3 choices! Was the scholarship your main factor in making the decision? I got 34k from WL and nothing yet from Emory, so it's defintiely a major factor. Honestly I think the main reason I'm not more committed to WL is because I'm scared I'll hate living in such a small place. Did you visit all three schools? What did you think? I'm planning to visit them all this month, but any insight would be great! :)

itzbouttime

New

Post by itzbouttime » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:40 pm

So who on here is going to the March ASD? I'm close to putting down my first deposit, but waiting on one final school. As of right now it looks like Lexington, VA is where I'm going to be :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:38 pm

--ImageRemoved--

itzbouttime

New

Post by itzbouttime » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:40 pm

Last edited by itzbouttime on Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NewtonLied

New

Post by NewtonLied » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:45 pm

cpboy77 wrote:
HERetICal wrote:has anybody tried to negotiate scholarship offers from W&L? Anyone successful? Thanks!
+1
I did unsuccessfully. Had offers from higher ranked schools. They let me know that they carefully base their scholarship decisions on how well they expect an applicant to do in law school and regret that they can't compete with he lower tuition of other universities. If you decide to try, I'd recommend giving them a real reason why you think you'll be an asset to the school and not just other offers.

pja123

New

Post by pja123 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:01 pm

Haven't heard back from W&L yet. Does anyone know when final notices are mailed out? Is it this week?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:12 am

NewtonLied wrote:
cpboy77 wrote:
+1
I did unsuccessfully. Had offers from higher ranked schools. They let me know that they carefully base their scholarship decisions on how well they expect an applicant to do in law school and regret that they can't compete with he lower tuition of other universities. If you decide to try, I'd recommend giving them a real reason why you think you'll be an asset to the school and not just other offers.
I tried to spike my 34 up to a full scholly, I guess my 81k at WUSTL wasn't convincing enough. If I get off the waitlist at Vandy I will probably try again because that will be a very even scale for me.

itzbouttime

New

Post by itzbouttime » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:59 pm

Depoist down. I'm part of the class of 2013 :D

kp009

New

Post by kp009 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:15 pm

itzbouttime wrote:Depoist down. I'm part of the class of 2013 :D

Congrats! I'll be sending mine in this week. Now that the "decision" stress is over I guess it's time for the "moving" stress!

cpboy77

New

Post by cpboy77 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:29 pm

I am also committing to W&L this week. I found an awesomne place I'm going to rent, and I'm in need of a roommate. Anyone who is potentially interested, PM me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

itzbouttime

New

Post by itzbouttime » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:56 pm

kp009 wrote:
itzbouttime wrote:Depoist down. I'm part of the class of 2013 :D

Congrats! I'll be sending mine in this week. Now that the "decision" stress is over I guess it's time for the "moving" stress!
I know I've already started stressing about the move. I don't want to live on campus, but need a roommate.

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:09 pm

NewtonLied wrote:
cpboy77 wrote:
+1
From what I've seen, above both medians=34k+ above 1=24k.

cpboy77

New

Post by cpboy77 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:23 pm

dk8 wrote:
NewtonLied wrote:
cpboy77 wrote:
+1
From what I've seen, above both medians=34k+ above 1=24k.
That sounds pretty accurate to me too.

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:38 pm

I did unsuccessfully. Had offers from higher ranked schools. They let me know that they carefully base their scholarship decisions on how well they expect an applicant to do in law school and regret that they can't compete with he lower tuition of other universities. If you decide to try, I'd recommend giving them a real reason why you think you'll be an asset to the school and not just other offers.[/quote]

From what I've seen, above both medians=34k+ above 1=24k.[/quote][/quote]

I was above the median LSAT, below the Median GPA and applied March 1 (They say apps before Dec 16 get full consideration, after that you're working with what's leftover). I didnt get the full 24k. Any chance I could negotiate now that people are starting to withdraw and free up money? 5-8 k a year would make a huuuuge difference for me.

Important disclaimer: I had to add to my Character and fitness because I left off a speeding ticket. Would this kill any leverage that I had? Should I just be happy with what I got given my situation?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jaxangler

New

Post by jaxangler » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:44 pm

GordonBombay wrote:I did unsuccessfully. Had offers from higher ranked schools. They let me know that they carefully base their scholarship decisions on how well they expect an applicant to do in law school and regret that they can't compete with he lower tuition of other universities. If you decide to try, I'd recommend giving them a real reason why you think you'll be an asset to the school and not just other offers.
From what I've seen, above both medians=34k+ above 1=24k.[/quote][/quote]

I was above the median LSAT, below the Median GPA and applied March 1 (They say apps before Dec 16 get full consideration, after that you're working with what's leftover). I didnt get the full 24k. Any chance I could negotiate now that people are starting to withdraw and free up money? 5-8 k a year would make a huuuuge difference for me.

Important disclaimer: I had to add to my Character and fitness because I left off a speeding ticket. Would this kill any leverage that I had? Should I just be happy with what I got given my situation?[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about a speeding ticket. I accidentally left off two traffic violations, and emailed Brett Twitty about it. He said it wasn't a big deal. You disclosed it and weren't trying to hide anything so I'm sure you are fine. If you left off a DUI or something greater than a speeding ticket it might be a different story.

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:48 pm

Yea I sent it to another school too. They said not to worry about it. I was more concerned about the bar than anything else. However, my thinking was now they've kind of done me a favor and Im going to turn around and ask for more money

kp009

New

Post by kp009 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:27 pm

I was planning to go up the beginning of June to look for a place, but a real estate agent mentioned today that may be a bit too late. Anyone know the best time? I'm trying to get up from FL so it has to be a planned trip, I think the earliest I could do right now is early May.

On a side note, she also had only 1 house that would let me have my dog, so now I'm really freaking out. I'm considering a roommate (I'm a girl and would prefer another girl) if anyone is interested, PM me.

waxloaf

Bronze

Post by waxloaf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:04 pm

Just a note to anyone who is interested in negotiating, I talked with a person from admissions the other day and was basically told they just don't do it. I'm sure its always worth a try but I wouldn't hope for it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

blawblawblaw

New

Post by blawblawblaw » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:33 pm

How much can I expect to spend/month on housing at the lower end of the spectrum? I'm out in CA and I'm not thinking I'll be able to come out there before August so I think I'm gonna have to get a place without seeing it.

waxloaf

Bronze

Post by waxloaf » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:36 pm

check craigslist, I think if you wanted to go really cheap you could rent a 4/5 bedroom house for about 1000 a month total

thoreau

New

Post by thoreau » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:41 pm

waxloaf wrote:check craigslist, I think if you wanted to go really cheap you could rent a 4/5 bedroom house for about 1000 a month total
I would totally be down to live in a giant house with a bunch of other law students if anyone else is interested

blawblawblaw

New

Post by blawblawblaw » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:05 pm

thoreau wrote:
waxloaf wrote:check craigslist, I think if you wanted to go really cheap you could rent a 4/5 bedroom house for about 1000 a month total
I would totally be down to live in a giant house with a bunch of other law students if anyone else is interested
I'm way down to try to get that together.

Anybody get the financial aid package that was sent out last week yet? Also +1 on the gym question to anyone who's seen it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”