What other jobs are JD's qualified to do? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
fonzerelli

Bronze

What other jobs are JD's qualified to do?

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:15 am

Hope and Change rhetoric notwithstanding, the economy may still royally blow in the year 2013.

Systemic fault lines exposed in our financial system as well as real estate, manufacturing, health care, umm, everything, may continue to expand. In short, jobs may be as plentiful then (2013) as they are now (doomsday).

What else can a newly minted JD do if a shiny law job isn't in the globalized cards in a few years?

I know this may produce some comedic responses, but it is (at least intended to be) a serious question. What else will we be qualified to do? If someone says "account executive" I'm going to ban you. No, I'm not a mod, but I'll ban you mentally in order to remain positive.

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Re: What other jobs are JD's qualified to do?

Post by lawschooliseasy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:17 am

fonzerelli wrote:Hope and Change rhetoric notwithstanding, the economy may still royally blow in the year 2013.

Systemic fault lines exposed in our financial system as well as real estate, manufacturing, health care, umm, everything, may continue to expand. In short, jobs may be as plentiful then (2013) as they are now (doomsday).

What else can a newly minted JD do if a shiny law job isn't in the globalized cards in a few years?

I know this may produce some comedic responses, but it is (at least intended to be) a serious question. What else will we be qualified to do? If someone says "account executive" I'm going to ban you. No, I'm not a mod, but I'll ban you mentally in order to remain positive.

Sell french fries.

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:21 am

lawschooliseasy wrote:
fonzerelli wrote:Hope and Change rhetoric notwithstanding, the economy may still royally blow in the year 2013.

Sell french fries.

succession of response... :shock: :? :| :cry: :idea: :o :D 8) :x
Last edited by fonzerelli on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:21 am

lawschooliseasy wrote:

Sell french fries.
TITCR

In all seriousness, a JD gives you no leg up for non-legal jobs and may hurt you. I suppose it might hlp if you wanted to work on the hill for an MC.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:22 am

Consulting. JDs are like crack to those firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:23 am

Veyron wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:

Sell french fries.
TITCR

In all seriousness, a JD gives you no leg up for non-legal jobs and may hurt you. I suppose it might hlp if you wanted to work on the hill for an MC.
That really does suck.... well, DC sounds more and more attractive.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:23 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:Consulting. JDs are like crack to those firms.
Then why do moast T-14s only have zero-one consulting firm that interviews on campus?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:25 am

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:25 am

Well, policy org's/think tanks aren't bad, but you probably have to work for a few years at least to get anything good.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:25 am

I'm not sure if this is hearsay or not, but word on the street says that a lot of lawyers are qualified to run Hell. I just saw a job posting for "Regional Manager of the Damned" that mentioned having a JD was a plus.

On second thought, it could have been a job for an assistant to the regional manager of the damned....

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:28 am

Federal service. Most agencies like hiring JDs.

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:30 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:I'm not sure if this is hearsay or not, but word on the street says that a lot of lawyers are qualified to run Hell. I just saw a job posting for "Regional Manager of the Damned" that mentioned having a JD was a plus.

On second thought, it could have been a job for an assistant to the regional manager of the damned....
Wait, Hillary Clinton lost her job and is being replaced? wtf?

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:31 am

Veyron wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:Consulting. JDs are like crack to those firms.
Then why do moast T-14s only have zero-one consulting firm that interviews on campus?
"Like crack" is a poor metaphor, but top consulting firms do like JDs. Perhaps they don't go for OCIs, but I guarantee they take resumes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:32 am

Zojirushi wrote:Federal service. Most agencies like hiring JDs.
+2 for DC-Land.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:32 am

Nonprofit management FTW, especially if you have summer PI experience.

In my case, perhaps taking on more debt to get an MSW, and going into counseling/therapy.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:34 am

OperaSoprano wrote:Nonprofit management FTW, especially if you have summer PI experience.
I'm actually interested in this too. In other news, I really need to start narrowing the number of things that sound like good career paths.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:34 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Nonprofit management FTW, especially if you have summer PI experience.
I'm actually interested in this too. In other news, I really need to start narrowing the number of things that sound like good career paths.
Samesies.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:35 am

In my case, perhaps taking on more debt to get an MSW, and going into counseling/therapy.
Thanks OS, it's probably worth it to have a few contingency plans in place....

apparentlymargarita

New

Post by apparentlymargarita » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:38 am

Zojirushi wrote:Federal service. Most agencies like hiring JDs.
This is totally off topic, but I LOVE your name/avatar! Zojirushi is the shit- my morning cup of tea thanks you.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:39 am

You can sit for a brokering license or a real estate license in California. I do not know about other states.

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:44 am

<3, change to "social enterprise management" and i'm sold. plus the part about taking on more debt for... further education or something, yay.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:47 am

joshikousei wrote:

<3, change to "social enterprise management" and i'm sold. plus the part about taking on more debt for... further education or something, yay.
My darling. I had a premonition that my JD would not be my last degree. Is that really bad? I mean, I want another degree, and I'm sure I shouldn't.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:51 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
joshikousei wrote:

My darling. I had a premonition that my JD would not be my last degree. Is that really bad? I mean, I want another degree, and I'm sure I shouldn't.
I predict your MRS will be your last degree.

Just kidding!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:58 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
joshikousei wrote:

I predict your MRS will be your last degree.

Just kidding!
Haha, you and everyone else. Seriously, you are at least the sixth person to suggest it since I came to law school. Several people did so in all seriousness, and out of love, which really made me :shock: .

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:10 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
joshikousei wrote:<3, change to "social enterprise management" and i'm sold. plus the part about taking on more debt for... further education or something, yay.
it's not, but it's hard(er) to start a career and have a decent career trajectory when you're 35 vs 30... but i think we're too similar in this regard - i'd have a hard time telling someone not to go back to school, especially if they're passionate about it. i also don't think about debt, though i should. my parents waded through years of debt and savings for my education, so i've never valued it for its economic worth alone.

as for the MRS degree, well... there's a reason why so many relationships break up and start up in grad school. :P

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”