What other jobs are JD's qualified to do? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
OperaSoprano

Gold

Re: What other jobs are JD's qualified to do?

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:15 am

joshikousei wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
joshikousei wrote:<3, change to "social enterprise management" and i'm sold. plus the part about taking on more debt for... further education or something, yay.
My darling. I had a premonition that my JD would not be my last degree. Is that really bad? I mean, I want another degree, and I'm sure I shouldn't.
it's not, but it's hard(er) to start a career and have a decent career trajectory when you're 35 vs 30... but i think we're too similar in this regard - i'd have a hard time telling someone not to go back to school, especially if they're passionate about it.

as for the MRS degree, well... there's a reason why so many relationships break up and start up in grad school. :P
Well, we're not so old yet, and once you have your JD, you will be catnip to every graduate program in the world.

Re: MRS degree: When and if I marry, it will not be for purposes of debt reduction, even if Hoff thinks that's a good idea.

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:34 am

OperaSoprano wrote: Well, we're not so old yet, and once you have your JD, you will be catnip to every graduate program in the world.

Re: MRS degree: When and if I marry, it will not be for purposes of debt reduction, even if Hoff thinks that's a good idea.
:P i don't know about that, i felt incredibly old when i came back this break. all tired and lame.

oh hoff. would he be okay with a girl marrying him for debt reduction? haha, at this point, we may be playing out the role of sugar mommies.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:41 am

joshikousei wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote: Well, we're not so old yet, and once you have your JD, you will be catnip to every graduate program in the world.

:P i don't know about that, i felt incredibly old when i came back this break. all tired and lame.

oh hoff. would he be okay with a girl marrying him for debt reduction? haha, at this point, we may be playing out the role of sugar mommies.
I adore Hoff, but I truly wish I could have recorded that conversation.

You are like a genius pixie superhero. I could not even imagine you old. <3

rookhawk

Bronze

Post by rookhawk » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:50 am

-
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:03 am

Non-Profits love JD's. Look into the United Way or some of the others. Regional directors make six figures. I also had a few UG teachers who were law grads. High school principals make $70-100K+, and I can't imagine why school districts wouldn't want a JD. But you'd probably have to teach first and make pennies. lol.

http://www.indeed.com/q-Non-Profit-Exec ... -jobs.html

http://www.opportunityknocks.org/jobsee ... ign=Indeed

If you like Hollywood, the studios need on set "consultants" for their shows and movies. Maybe a JD can be a screenwriter.

Or how about this non-law job: LAW SCHOOL ADMISSIONS!
Last edited by PDaddy on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:19 am

jarofsoup wrote:You can sit for a brokering license or a real estate license in California. I do not know about other states.
The one profession in worse shape than law. Way to make everyone feel better :lol:

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:27 am

BenJ wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:You can sit for a brokering license or a real estate license in California. I do not know about other states.
The one profession in worse shape than law. Way to make everyone feel better :lol:
Yup. I think D.C. and/or Illinois. Not 100% sure.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:26 am

I'm just glad I can always fall back on Big 4 accounting if the JD doesn't work out. 8)

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:41 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:I'm just glad I can always fall back on Big 4 accounting if the JD doesn't work out. 8)
Not a bad fall back; I've got Real Estate, Market Analysis, and Test Prep. Meh.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:49 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
joshikousei wrote:

Now this is funny stuff.... :lol: 8) Hi all!

arundodonax

New

Post by arundodonax » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:31 pm

By 2013, Washington will have figured out how to sell the discharge of everyone's student loan debt as some sort of "economic stimulus." I am also counting on Obama's AG office to offer a job to every man, woman and child.

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:35 am

hoffb86 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
joshikousei wrote:

Now this is funny stuff.... :lol: 8) Hi all!
hoff!!!

now explain yourself. are you okay with marrying a girl for debt reduction? :P

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:57 am

joshikousei wrote:
hoff!!!

now explain yourself. are you okay with marrying a girl for debt reduction? :P
as in, if a girl wants to marry me as a means of reducing her debt. Yeah, I would consider it, depending on the girl... 8) :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lomax

Bronze

Post by Lomax » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:19 am

fonzerelli wrote:Hope and Change rhetoric notwithstanding, the economy may still royally blow in the year 2013.

Systemic fault lines exposed in our financial system as well as real estate, manufacturing, health care, umm, everything, may continue to expand. In short, jobs may be as plentiful then (2013) as they are now (doomsday).
No, you have it all wrong. Doomsday is not until December 21st, 2012. And what makes you think that jobs will be as plentiful then as they are now? Should the systemic fault lines you speak of continue to expand, would not jobs - along with everything else except for misery and woe - become less plentiful?

Honestly, I see an economic meltdown like none other hitting our country within our lifetimes. It was actually upon us this past fall, but was staved off for a while by our government's buying on credit. What do you get when you borrow money from one loan shark to pay off another who comes to break your leg? Two broken legs, once the loan sharks finally figure out what's going on.

No matter what our prospects of getting a dream job in big law, at least we should have a leg up on those who have little education and who will be living in the streets when the big one comes (if they aren't living in the streets already), should things retain some semblance of normalcy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”