Stanford Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Laina

Bronze

Stanford Class of 2013

Post by Laina » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:33 pm

Almost positive I'll be at SLS in the fall. Who's with me?

Oh, and Munger looks pretty sweet, huh?

Kretzy

Silver

Re: Stanford Class of 2013

Post by Kretzy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:05 pm

I'm in the "90% sure I'm going to SLS" group, but won't be positive until I can check it out during ASW.
Laina wrote: Oh, and Munger looks pretty sweet, huh?
I showed my dad the virtual tour of Munger after I was accepted, and we were both floored. Friends who live there now say it's phenomenal.

Haribo

Bronze

Post by Haribo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:31 pm

I deferred last year, so I'll definitely be a member of the class of 2013. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:29 pm

Count me in! Unless I'm allergic to the air in Palo Alto, I will be there this fall. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

jsoell

New

Post by jsoell » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:00 pm

Haribo - good to see you taking a break from the saddle.

I'm in the 95% sure group. I'm waiting to see the financial aid package. $70,000 a year is hard to swallow for me, so I'm trying to look at the LRAP and other factors.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:40 am

I'm about 99 percent sure I'll be at SLS in August. Just waiting on Yale at this point.

anmo

New

Post by anmo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:54 am

I'm in. Excited to meet you all!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:27 pm

anmo wrote:I'm in. Excited to meet you all!
Congrats on the decision!

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:22 pm

Bumping this thread from the depths of page 3. I'm still very much undecided between Yale and Stanford, but I seem to be leaning more toward Stanford by the day.

Anyway, a question regarding housing. Are most of ya'll thinking of living in Munger? If so, in a studio, double, or quad? I think I'm leaning toward a double (studio is too expensive, quad is too crowded).

Also, I'm super excited for the ASW!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Laina

Bronze

Post by Laina » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks for bumping; hi everyone!

I'm going to do a 4-person in Munger (hopefully). I've had great experiences with roommates, and look forward to three other people (at least one of which will probably be a student in another grad school) I can vent, cook, network and relax with. A 2-person just leaves too much possibility of not getting along and having an uncomfortable living situation, in my opinion. In a four person, someone who's not your favorite is more easily avoided.

smov_operator

Bronze

Post by smov_operator » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:35 pm

Anyway, a question regarding housing. Are most of ya'll thinking of living in Munger? If so, in a studio, double, or quad? I think I'm leaning toward a double (studio is too expensive, quad is too crowded).

I've been thinking about this also. All the rooms in Munger, including the quads, are more expensive than the studios in the other apartments.

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/shs/grad/res_chart.htm

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:39 pm

smov_operator wrote: I've been thinking about this also. All the rooms in Munger, including the quads, are more expensive than the studios in the other apartments.

To be fair, Munger is brand spanking new and has many more accommodations than Rains/Escondido/etc. The quads aren't "quads" per se, either. The set-up is four singles with individual bathrooms, a living room, and a guest bathroom.

Laina, I hadn't thought of that...maybe a quad is the way to go (I've had mixed experiences with roommates).

smov_operator

Bronze

Post by smov_operator » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:42 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
smov_operator wrote: I've been thinking about this also. All the rooms in Munger, including the quads, are more expensive than the studios in the other apartments.

To be fair, Munger is brand spanking new and has many more accommodations than Rains/Escondido/etc. The quads aren't "quads" per se, either. The set-up is four singles with individual bathrooms, a living room, and a guest bathroom.

Laina, I hadn't thought of that...maybe a quad is the way to go (I've had mixed experiences with roommates).
True. ASW should provide the chance to see if it's worth the hype. Also, interesting point Laina. I've always associated more roommates with more problems.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:28 pm

I'm planning on Munger, and was thinking about a double until I realized the quads were more like 4 self-contained apartments and then a shared communal space.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:53 pm

I'm definitely going for a quad in Munger. BTW - Munger is awesome and also enormous, so more thank likely you will not be living with three other SLS students if you live in a quad. There are way more spaces than there are SLS students. I've got a friend who is a 1L who lives with three engineers.

Also, Munger is infinitely nicer than Rains/EV, etc. It is not even close to worth the savings in cost to live in one of the others, in my opinion. Munger is also much more conveniently located.

And yes - quads in Munger have a decent sized living room, a decent sized kitchen and the four fairly large bedrooms, each with its own bathroom and shower. There is also a bathroom in the communal space, presumably for guests. So yeah, 4BR, 5 bath.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:56 pm

crackberry wrote:I'm definitely going for a quad in Munger. BTW - Munger is awesome and also enormous, so more thank likely you will not be living with three other SLS students if you live in a quad. There are way more spaces than there are SLS students. I've got a friend who is a 1L who lives with three engineers.

Also, Munger is infinitely nicer than Rains/EV, etc. It is not even close to worth the savings in cost to live in one of the others, in my opinion. Munger is also much more conveniently located.

And yes - quads in Munger have a decent sized living room, a decent sized kitchen and the four fairly large bedrooms, each with its own bathroom and shower. There is also a bathroom in the communal space, presumably for guests. So yeah, 4BR, 5 bath.
Yeah, Munger is slick. Are you all thinking of finding random roommates, or do you know other grad students at Stanford? I don't know if I want to risk having 3 unknown roommates (although it could be fun, as well).

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:58 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote: Yeah, Munger is slick. Are you all thinking of finding random roommates, or do you know other grad students at Stanford? I don't know if I want to risk having 3 unknown roommates (although it could be fun, as well).
I've thought about this too. One of my best friends from UG is going to be a 1L next year at SLS as well, but he's married now so I'm clearly not living with him. Other than that, I know a couple of other grad students at various programs at Stanford, but none of whom I consider myself good friends with. I have another pretty close friend who will be a 2L, but I'm sure he'll be living with some of his SLS friends.

I think I may roll the dice and go random roommates.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:33 pm

Bringing this thread back to page 1 . . .

Does anyone know if law students with non-student spouses live at Munger? It looks really nice but I'm wondering if it would be strange for a SO who isn't a student to live there . . . web site makes it seem like it's technically possible, but not sure if it's ever really done.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:44 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:Bringing this thread back to page 1 . . .

Does anyone know if law students with non-student spouses live at Munger? It looks really nice but I'm wondering if it would be strange for a SO who isn't a student to live there . . . web site makes it seem like it's technically possible, but not sure if it's ever really done.
Probably not very common. Most students with spouses live on campus in Escondido Village or off campus somewhere close by (Sharon Green and Oak Creek are popular). These threads - particularly the second one - may yield more useful answers...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=99249

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =4&t=86279

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:08 am

Just in case anyone here doesn't read the In at Stanford! thread, here's a thread to discuss the upcoming ASW. Enjoy.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=114676

Billy Blanks

Bronze

Post by Billy Blanks » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:55 pm

Ok, I'm officially casting my lot with you group of scalliwags.

4-person Munger apartments seem the way to go. I talked to one 1L who said he lives with a couple of engineering students and someone from another grad school (medicine?) and said it's great to have non-law students around. I think I'm just going to trust housing to pick some good apartment-mates.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:12 pm

Glad to meet so many folks at ASW who are committed for next year (and a bunch who are strongly leaning toward SLS)! I think I saw some of you TLSers as well but didn't get the chance to introduce myself, but I think we'll have plenty of time to get to know one another over the next 3 years.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:11 pm

Mailed off my deposit today . . . glad my cycle is finally over almost 8 months after I started my applications. I didn't go to many ASW, but that one had to be one of the more convincing ones. Fun running into a few TLSers . . . looking forward to meeting more of you in the fall.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:20 am

Just withdrew from YLS and will send in my deposit tomorrow. Glad to be a part of this wonderful group!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:26 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:Just withdrew from YLS and will send in my deposit tomorrow. Glad to be a part of this wonderful group!
Fucking awesome.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”