Indiana University - Bloomington 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Vincent Vega

Silver

Re: Indiana University - Bloomington 2013

Post by Vincent Vega » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:38 pm

superflush wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:I think people are just posting in the "in" thread. I honestly don't know what the difference is between this thread in that, realistically.
I think the difference is supposed to be that the "In" threads or "2010" threads would be about applying/getting-in, whereas this thread is supposed to be for people who are either definitely gonna go or are seriously considering enrolling.
OK, I'll go first. I'm going to IU - woot! You all should go there, too.

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:41 pm

I'll be there as well. Cant wait!!!

KINGJV61

New

Post by KINGJV61 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:00 pm

I'm going to IUB Law. From out of state.
Chose IUB due to the highest ranked and nationally known LS I got into.
Last edited by KINGJV61 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:09 pm

@ those going to IUB. Are you all in-state? If you are from out of state, why did you decide on IUB?

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:48 pm

I don't think I even knew this thread existed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:00 pm

ram jam wrote:@ those going to IUB. Are you all in-state? If you are from out of state, why did you decide on IUB?
No, I can assure you with certainty that people are not all in-state.

NatSec

Bronze

Post by NatSec » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:13 am

not in-state. coming in from DC.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:08 am

ram jam wrote:@ those going to IUB. Are you all in-state? If you are from out of state, why did you decide on IUB?
Out of everyone I've heard of who is going to IU, only Threepeat is actually from Indiana. I chose to go to IU from North Carolina primarily because of the awesome scholarship they offered me, but also because I felt like IU and Bloomington fit in very well with what I was looking for in a law school. It's a school on the rise, and I felt an energy there that the other schools I visited didn't have.

KINGJV61

New

Post by KINGJV61 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:59 am

Coming from Connecticut

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:33 am

@ Out-of-State people, aren't you concerned that you will have to live and work in Indiana? Over 80% of grads stay in Indiana. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but I am trying to decide between staying in my home state and going to Law School versus going to Indiana. I did not receive any money, but I like the program and overall feel of IUB.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:44 pm

ram jam wrote:@ Out-of-State people, aren't you concerned that you will have to live and work in Indiana? Over 80% of grads stay in Indiana. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but I am trying to decide between staying in my home state and going to Law School versus going to Indiana. I did not receive any money, but I like the program and overall feel of IUB.
Where did you get that impression? The majority of graduates leave Indiana, a point of which they're very adamant of making. http://law.indiana.edu/about/index.shtml

How did you get that number? I'm just curious because its way off.

Edit: Actually, I'm not even sure if 80% stay in the Midwest. Aside from the usual suspects, a large portion of alumni actually end up in Kentucky and other places in the South simply because the school geographically straddles the Midwest/South border.

jrobby6

Bronze

Post by jrobby6 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:55 pm

I'm from out of state(northeast) and reluctantly commited only because I received a significant scholly. I have no desire to work in the midwest so I may withdraw pretty soon. I'm waitlisted @ vandy and cornell so I'm going to ride those out. If they don't work out then I'm most likely going to sit out the year (not without more serious consideration of attending IUB).

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:44 pm

ram jam wrote:@ Out-of-State people, aren't you concerned that you will have to live and work in Indiana? Over 80% of grads stay in Indiana. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but I am trying to decide between staying in my home state and going to Law School versus going to Indiana. I did not receive any money, but I like the program and overall feel of IUB.
I agree with two posts above about the good majority of grads leaving the state. I did, however, consider that if I do very poorly I might get trapped into markets I don't want to live in, but I am ok with Indiana's major markets - Chicago, DC, Indianapolis and Louisville. Mind you, I'm not terribly interested in big law - I'll take it if I can get it, but it's not my primary goal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:45 am

ram jam wrote:Over 80% of grads stay in Indiana.
This is not true.
But it is still somewhat of a concern, especially now.

NatSec

Bronze

Post by NatSec » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:34 am

Vincent Vega wrote:
I agree with two posts above about the good majority of grads leaving the state. I did, however, consider that if I do very poorly I might get trapped into markets I don't want to live in, but I am ok with Indiana's major markets - Chicago, DC, Indianapolis and Louisville. Mind you, I'm not terribly interested in big law - I'll take it if I can get it, but it's not my primary goal.

+100 I've lived in major cities that are extremely different from each other: Dallas, Pittsburgh, Austin, Cleveland, and Washington DC. I've also traveled throughout the U.S. and the world so I can pretty safely say, there are extremely worse places to be than where IUB places. A lot of people are attracted to the prestige or glamor of the city that they want to live in. Not many actually take the time to go down the list of how they spend their free time, what they do in their job, and what is important in living day-to-day. I, for one, don't need to tell people I live in NY or DC to make myself feel important. I know what I need out of a city to live and be happy and IUB can get me to those places: Indy, Chicago, Cinci, Louisville.

From what I've seen on the boards in general, and the IUB crowd is more mature than most, a vast majority of people haven't taken their real lives and expectations and lined them up with what they need to get out of law school and what they want to do.

::steps down from soapbox::

labyrinth

New

Post by labyrinth » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:41 am

Hey all-

I'm coming to IUB from the northeast- it was a tough decision but with the scholarship they offered me and my lack of commitment to any specific region, it makes a lot of sense for me.

I'm very excited! Though in this region when you say you are moving to Indiana- let's just say the response is underwhelming.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:47 am

NatSec wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:

+100 I've lived in major cities that are extremely different from each other: Dallas, Pittsburgh, Austin, Cleveland, and Washington DC. I've also traveled throughout the U.S. and the world so I can pretty safely say, there are extremely worse places to be than where IUB places. A lot of people are attracted to the prestige or glamor of the city that they want to live in. Not many actually take the time to go down the list of how they spend their free time, what they do in their job, and what is important in living day-to-day. I, for one, don't need to tell people I live in NY or DC to make myself feel important. I know what I need out of a city to live and be happy and IUB can get me to those places: Indy, Chicago, Cinci, Louisville.

From what I've seen on the boards in general, and the IUB crowd is more mature than most, a vast majority of people haven't taken their real lives and expectations and lined them up with what they need to get out of law school and what they want to do.

::steps down from soapbox::
+1

And I don't do that often. Glad you're going to IUB.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ChewbaccaDefense

New

Post by ChewbaccaDefense » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:51 am

Hey folks, just accepted yesterday afternoon. I'm pretty excited to be heading to Bloomington this summer, although I wish I were there now for the little 500.

Anybody going the first year without a car? If so, what area are you planning to live in?

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:59 pm

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:Hey folks, just accepted yesterday afternoon. I'm pretty excited to be heading to Bloomington this summer, although I wish I were there now for the little 500.

Anybody going the first year without a car? If so, what area are you planning to live in?
I keep flip-flopping on this issue. Right now, I'm planning on bringing my car, but it's a crap car and stuff breaks on it all the time. I'd rather not have the stress that comes with having my car, but oh well.

Either way, I already have my lease signed at a place a couple miles south of the law school, but it's right on the #5/8 bus line.

KINGJV61

New

Post by KINGJV61 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:29 am

Staying at 320 South Dunn St for $700 a month. Right across from the Law School. No Car.

Snazzygirl

New

Post by Snazzygirl » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:46 pm

Was just admitted off the waitlist today and will excitedly accept (waiting to hear back as to whether or not I can do the summer start). Coming from Milwaukee, WI...will not have a car. Are you all finding housing online or did you visit? And are places already signing leases to begin July 1? (other cities thought I was ridiculously for inquiring about housing 4 weeks out...).

Does anyone have an estimate of transportation costs? (e.g. to ride the bus?)

So excited to be part of the IUB 1013 Class!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:31 am

Snazzygirl wrote:Does anyone have an estimate of transportation costs? (e.g. to ride the bus?)
Public transit costs?
I'm sure its something you could find here or here.
http://www.bloomingtontransit.com/
http://www.iubus.indiana.edu/campus_bus/index.html

NatSec

Bronze

Post by NatSec » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:16 am

Snazzygirl wrote:Was just admitted off the waitlist today and will excitedly accept (waiting to hear back as to whether or not I can do the summer start). Coming from Milwaukee, WI...will not have a car. Are you all finding housing online or did you visit? And are places already signing leases to begin July 1? (other cities thought I was ridiculously for inquiring about housing 4 weeks out...).

Does anyone have an estimate of transportation costs? (e.g. to ride the bus?)

So excited to be part of the IUB 1013 Class!

I thought that riding the bus was free with your student ID.

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:02 pm

NatSec wrote:

It is.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:31 pm

Threepeat wrote:
NatSec wrote:

It is.
This. For non-students, a bus ride to anywhere in the city is $1.00.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”